Limit contraband scanning ability

Talk among developers, and propose and discuss general development planning/tackling/etc... feature in this forum.
javier
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Limit contraband scanning ability

Post by javier »

This is one thing I find annoying. Seems everybody and his mother could scan you, so if you're not cloaked there is no realistic way to do contraband runs without a lot of combat, of course screwing your relations, that in turn drives you to more combat and... I think you can get the idea :(

So, I'd like to see this scans limited to militia forces, maybe capital ships and military bases also, and only when in a somehow reasonable range of you. IMO, a merchant ship have no business scanning you and, even worse, attacking you in case your hold keeps some illegal stuff.

Another related problem is there is only one contraband category, but it will be preferable to have it attached to factions. It makes no sense to be attacked by ISO or aera ships because you're transporting ISO propaganda.

This kind of changes may allow to follow the smuggler's path now is not realistic to take by any player.
Cheapshooter
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Cheapshooter »

I can agree with this - does everyone in the universe have a tool to tell exactly what cargo other people are carrying, at any distance, but you? I've had people nail me for contraband at ranges beyond 300,000 kilometers. I can't even tell what faction they are but some twit in a Koala knows I've got two crates of the Colonels Special Spices in my hold and a half finished bottle of Jack Daniels in my glove compartment.
mortaneous
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter
Location: Some small planet, Parallel Earth, Resources Negligeble

Post by mortaneous »

Actually, the issue has already been brought up. It's not exactly top priority for now, but there is more discussion of desirable solutions over in this thread:
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/forum ... aband+scan
Miramor
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Miramor »

I would argue that pirates should have the ability to detect contraband. If someone was carrying it, they'd want to steal it.

(Actually, it would be kind of interesting to have pirate ships sometimes masquerade as homeland-security or military. A corvette might approach your ship, scan you, notice that you were carrying something expensive, and then lie that you have contraband and try to take your cargo...)
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

BTW you can scan any ship yourself :wink: the right VDU one of it's functions is manifest does tend to be not very useful it scrolls to fast :wink:

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
javier
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by javier »

The main problem with pirates is the AI should take into account the relative strength of their target against their flight group. They should be like hyenas, attacking only when they feel they have advantage, retreating if not. In that scenario, what you're transporting is more or less irrelevant. But this is another different question.

To keep things as simple as possible, a first step could be making the scanning ability a new attribute of a unit. Then, make only militia have ships of that kind. Next, make more populated/core systems have more militia presence, so smuggling were more difficult on that systems.

The economic system, if evolved to something more elaborated, could then increase the reward on that kind of systems, making worth the risk, this could be seen as a bonus.

I see this only as a first step in fixing the whole thing, but I feel that it will increase playability and should be not too complicated. I even include some factor of uncertainty into the scanning, so not all scans result in your contraband detected. That should be simple to program as well.

The issue about linking contraband categories to factions, I see more difficult to solve, but it's as needed as the previous one if we want to see some kind of logic about contraband.
Keller
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Keller »

Just make a cargo scanner upgrade. It could also be a contraband item for some factions, as using one if not part of the military or militia would be considered an act of piracy.
Nothing is uninteresting. ;)
javier
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by javier »

This could come later. First, there should be a new boolean attribute in units.cvs to control the scan cargo ability. Then, we could make that kind of upgrade or put it as one of the scanners capabilities, if preferred. After all, right now there is no need of such upgrade to the player.
Let's put the foundations before the floor. :wink:
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

After all, right now there is no need of such upgrade to the player.

As they already have the ability glad you picked up on that :wink:

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
Coragem
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Coragem »

The main problem with pirates is the AI should take into account the relative strength of their target against their flight group. They should be like hyenas, attacking only when they feel they have advantage, retreating if not.
This should be implemented to every ship AI controls. Dodos and Koalas following my pacifier around is annoying. but extemely fun to see how many i can kill in a single Beam Sweep :twisted:

As for the contraband issue.
i dont know if its my luck. but i never got scanned. maybe once. Note: i only take contraband in cargo missions, never buy them myself. maybe its a bug?
My System: Arch Linux x86_64 Bits CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 995 RAM: Kingston DDR2 800Mhz 8 GB GPU: Dual ATI Radeon HD 4830 512 MB Opensource ATI-Git Drivers. HD: SATA 500 Gb WindowManager: KDE4 Joystick: Thustmaster T.Flight Stick X USB
javier
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by javier »

It would be fun if only your relations didn't go to hell after that. :roll:
Coragem
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Coragem »

It would be fun if only your relations didn't go to hell after that.
Im friendly with the Aera in this savegame so, i blast almost all other factions to pieces. :twisted:
My System: Arch Linux x86_64 Bits CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 995 RAM: Kingston DDR2 800Mhz 8 GB GPU: Dual ATI Radeon HD 4830 512 MB Opensource ATI-Git Drivers. HD: SATA 500 Gb WindowManager: KDE4 Joystick: Thustmaster T.Flight Stick X USB