combat woes

Talk among developers, and propose and discuss general development planning/tackling/etc... feature in this forum.
Drakna
Hunter
Hunter

combat woes

Post by Drakna »

ok so today i left an andolian owned commerce station and smacked into some rlaans. my favourite targets ever since i had that defend mission in my llama. now i hear the sounds of me being shot at and i press h thinking to scroll through the hostile ships around me. the battle music is going and i am taking shots as i fly around trying to find these stupid black ships, i can also hear them bumping into eachother at low speeds which is common for rlaan swarms, but i cant find them. the h key keeops finding the big cap ships and mules that the rlaan own but are nowhere near me. i have to rely on finding the stupid black ships in the blackness of space somehow and hitting p. there needs to be a better way to do this.

ok so i found them i know thee is an rlaan capship comming i saw it when i was cycling using the h key. so i have to finish these guys off in a hurry. despite my being able to carry 4 banks of torps each carrying 8 of em my track record against large ships is iffy, and i dont want to have to deal with the swarm and the cap ship. no there is one very big thing i have learned about combat in VS. once it starts EVERYONE in the entire damn system who is in a combat ships comes to join in.

within minutes i have a dng koala and a bunch of andolian and klkk figters in on the fight. i cant tell who's hostile to who but i do recognize that if i accidentally shoot one of those other guys out there i am gonna have the entire system on my ass. and then it happens. the koala slams into me. it was already damaged and my shields were top of the line (ok i was in a goddard and i had hacked my save game for infinite money, so i had the best of enerything). so BAM the koala dies on my class 15 shields and now i know i am in for it. everyone is firing on everyone and the only people not yet firing at me are the klkk who have only recently joined in. i can hear thier stupid fligt group bumping shields as i turn to them i see them bump into eacother (man these computers are stupid or something because they bump into eachother alot). anyway swerving in amongst them is a single rlaan fighter. which i target and start firing at. one of the klkk ships comes in real close to me and gets into the way of one of my pugilist guns and now the klkk are hostile with me.

at this point i am thinking "alright you wanna all go against me i will do more damage to you then the entire aeran army could." afterall i have yet to see a fighter that stood any kind of chance against my phase damage IR lasers. so everyone is firing on me including the station and i am keeping an eye on my shields and armor. fighters are dropping like flies and some of the ships begin to retreat. meanwhile on the otherside of the commerce center ships are exploding i assume it is the big cap ships trying to get to me and the commerce center is taking heavy damage. it's dual shields are already gone. i take a look at my armor and see it's down quite a bit. and then i realize it. EVERYONE is using phase damage weapons. my shields were never being touched it was all armor damage. luckily i had the most expensive armor available.

what is the point of having shields when everyone winds up using the weapons that phase through them anyway. computer AI's need to be ALOT less touchy about attacking you. and how about a good way to target ships that are in close proximity to you
Psyco Diver 69
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Psyco Diver 69 »

I feel your pain about the controls, I started playing vegastrike after playing PR. In PR T toggles all ships in the area, H brings up hostiles, and N brings up any stations, jump nodes, and planets. U cycle through everything in your area. When I first started playing VS this was confusing and is now a bit of a pain compared to playing PR. I'm sure there is a way to change the button layout, I'm just to lazy to check into it yet though
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Instead of using the "h" key for hostiles try "r' and "R" for the one that are shooting at you ATM :wink: as for changing to key layout try http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/forum ... php?t=9195

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
Drakna
Hunter
Hunter

Post by Drakna »

i would rather not change the layout i have gotten somewhat familiar with the current one and changing it would only serve to screw me up down the road