Promotion material

Complaints, compliments, suggestions. Have something to say about vegastrike.sourceforge.net? Here's the place to bring it up.
gonzo
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Promotion material

Post by gonzo »

I've been looking through the place for something like a banner leading here (vegastrike download page) to promote Vega Strike on other forums.
Are there any?
There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't.
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Re: Promotion material

Post by pheonixstorm »

Not that I am aware of, but I can look around all the images from the sf.net site and see if I can find any VS banners/buttons that can be used on other sites. If I can't find any though will probably have to ask someone to make some. I can do them, but while my photoshopping looks good I have never been able to have them both look good and be a small enough size for web development.. at least last time I really did a full image layout back in 99/00 I've always been the coder not the artist :P
Because of YOU Arbiter, MY kids? can't get enough gas. OR NIPPLE! How does that mkae you feeeel? ~ Halo
gonzo
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by gonzo »

Ok. I'm gonna go GIMP and try and come up with something less than awful. :roll:
There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't.
gonzo
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by gonzo »

First try...

Code: Select all

[url=http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/][img]http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z305/owallgren/Vega%20Strike/vslogo.gif[/img][/url]

ref:
BBCcode:
http://www.phpbb.com/community/faq.php?mode=bbcode#f4r0
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

whats the size for a png version with higher color depth?
Because of YOU Arbiter, MY kids? can't get enough gas. OR NIPPLE! How does that mkae you feeeel? ~ Halo
gonzo
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by gonzo »

pheonixstorm wrote:whats the size for a png version with higher color depth?
I scaled the 70k vslogo.xpm from the 0.5.0 source down to 60%. Just saving as a .png instead of .gif gave
me x2.5 the size. 25k instead of 10 for a gif.

png:

gif:

I don't think any of them cut it really. The starfield in the background tend to just look like dust on my screen.
Especially one little shiny something in between the S and the t in "Strike".
gonzo
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by gonzo »

Code: Select all

[url=http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/][img]http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z305/owallgren/Vega%20Strike/vslogo.gif[/img][/url]

Edit: This one is cleaner...
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

hehe well if your going to take the image off the front site page might as well go for this one too

Just add in Vega Strike to the top left (if possible w/o adding too much to the size)
gonzo
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by gonzo »

Hmm... User Control Panel > Profile > Edit signature: Image

Just add in Vega Strike to the top left (if possible w/o adding too much to the size)[/quote]
Do you have any clue to what font it is?
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

Not yet. I've been looking over everything in the site files and going to check the svn soon to see if there are any hints or files anywhere.
gonzo
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by gonzo »

I'll try and get something going from scratch. Unfortunately I have forgotten everything I knew about GIMP
so I have to start from fresh. :(
pheonixstorm wrote:hehe well if your going to take the image off the front site page might as well go for this one too
I just used the first bannerlike pics I could find to try out the BBCode. I actually think the "Upon the coldest sea" pic is a good
candidate for a banner(It's also used in the Player’s Guide v1.2.0 pdf/page 14. Heavily cropped).
gonzo
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by gonzo »

What sizes should they be?

Jupiters moon Europa + a Toad in black and white. A plausible scene?

Last edited by gonzo on Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

I like all three. See if you can get the top image down below 20k though, 40k in size seems a bit large. Just make sure to keep as master file in whatever native format you are working from (ie psd for phtoshop) so we can add it to the svn, and dont forget to add the font if its not native to the OS.
gonzo
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by gonzo »

Ok. 12.3kB as jpg or 22.5kB as png when saved as grayscaled picture.

jpg

png

Edit: added png
Last edited by gonzo on Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

any real quality difference between the two? I notice the ship lost a litle... something. Either works I guess, whichever has the better quality. They do look good though.
gonzo
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by gonzo »

I edited the post above and added the png. The png looks better. The font is
Ethnocentric from Larabie Fonts. It's free for personal and commercial use.
If your on a linux machine it's in the debian package: ttf-larabie-deco

If your happy with it then I'm happy with it. :wink:
gonzo
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by gonzo »

Last one...
Slimmed down version with rounded corners.
I think you can still see what's going on. Sort of. :D
~17kB
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

not so sure on that one, kinda looks like the wording got its legs cut out from under it. See if you can go from 100px to 80px cutting 10 off from top and bottomI think 80 would work better than 60.
gonzo
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by gonzo »

pheonixstorm wrote:not so sure on that one, kinda looks like the wording got its legs cut out from under it.
If you turn it a bit like this, so you see it's not the font that is goofy but the perspective/field of vision that is messed up?

40px
Edit: It's 40px, not 50
See if you can go from 100px to 80px cutting 10 off from top and bottomI think 80 would work better than 60.
80px

Last edited by gonzo on Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
travists
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by travists »

Move your text block up a little, and if applicable, tone down the rotation on the text. The "E" ant the end of vega strike Will not cover enough of the planet hide much.
gonzo
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by gonzo »

Oops! I thought I had an xcf with the different layers preserved, but I didn't... :(
The slimmed versions are just the 800x100 png version rotated and cropped so
you can't rotate the text separately. Apart from that mishap the material should
be "pretty much" organised and safe. :roll:

Is there a way to use version control like svn directly under gimp?

40px-new

40px
travists
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by travists »

And without the layers swaping the ship out won't work either...

Looking good, the slanted text in the 40 is well ballanced, but the ship in the 80 is better. Do you still have your first one? If so select Selecting the diffrent eliments and redo your layers is the best bet.
gonzo
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by gonzo »

Pretty much done recreating something like the original master.
pheonixstorm wrote:Just make sure to keep as master file in whatever native format you are working from...
:roll:
travists wrote:Looking good, the slanted text in the 40 is well ballanced, but the ship in the 80 is better.
Thanks. It's hard to get it to look super at that size. I tried the thin format because I've seen banners and logos that looked
good that way. I wouldn't count them out yet though.
For a banner to be used by players in their profile signature at other forums, being that much thinner could be a good thing.
Some people (read kids. They pretty much count as people...) are comfortable with adding a picture that takes up half of the
screen if the forum will permit it. I don't. So if the choice stands between the bigger one or none at all then some slinky
version is go, right?

The space scene is actually a render I did with Blender so that one could be good for other jobs.
travists
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by travists »

If you are going through the hassle of rebuilding the master, perhaps try a Llama, and some of the other more slender ships for the 40 pt.
gonzo
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by gonzo »

travists wrote:If you are going through the hassle of rebuilding the master, perhaps try a Llama, and some of the other more slender ships for the 40 pt.
I don't think it's the model that matters. The 40px would need another scene altogether. Now I have files all over the place and I would like to upload whatever you want to have of what I've done so far before I go ahead with anything new. Else it's gonna end up messier still.

To sum it up:

100px

80px

60px

40px

40px

I think the 60 - 100px looks the best.