[SOLVED] game crashes after starting campaign

Trying to build your own version of Vega Strike and having problems? Unix users, paste your config.log here (stderr output alone is not helpful).
crome
Explorer
Explorer

[SOLVED] game crashes after starting campaign

Post by crome »

Hello,

I finally managed to compile vegastrike with Ubuntu 10.04. However, the game won't start. I did not run make install. I guess this is not the problem since the wiki states that it is optional.
So after running vssetup and starting the game, it loads fine. But when I click on campaign it starts to load and crashes after a couple of seconds. I captured the terminal output. There are several errors. I am not sure if all of them are critical.
I also had some strange issue during configure. It displayed some warnings that alext.h was present but not usable. Not sure what that means, maybe a versions conflict?

I'd appreciate it if someone could provide some insight on what is going on.
Thanks.
Last edited by crome on Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crome
Explorer
Explorer

Re: game crashes after starting campaign

Post by crome »

[UPDATE]

So it *seems* that everything is fine with the compiled program. The crash was apparently a result of my hardware drivers. I can't use shaders. If I use anything higher than 'simplest shader' the application will crash.
Well, I guess this *solves* the issue, since it is probably not a bug in the code itself.
nikai
Trader
Trader

Re: [SOLVED] game crashes after starting campaign

Post by nikai »

Great that you managed to compile vegastrike and get it running!

I guess it would be a win for other users of your hardware if you could report this problem to the authors of the hardware drivers you're using.
No matter whether you're using proprietary drivers or open drivers, both camps are interested in bug reports on their drivers.