Ship concept work

Thinking about improving the Artwork in Vega Strike, or making your own Mod? Submit your question and ideas in this forum.

Moderator: pyramid

Primordial
Merchant
Merchant

Ship concept work

Post by Primordial »

I'm interested in doing some concept art for the ships that need either a re-design or an entirely new concept. I've got a lot of time on my hands right now, so I'm looking to expand my art limits - I'm not very good with mechanical things but this is a good way of getting better.
Anyway, are there any specific ships that are wanting concept artwork in particular, or should I just start working my way down the 3D models list from the Wiki?

Also, are there references to specific factional styles?

Cheers in advance.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Re: Ship concept work

Post by loki1950 »

First off welcome aboard there is some info on each factions personal preferences then it's just a matter of throwing us some images to comment on(tear apart :wink: )constructively.obj mtl files have become the default way interchanging models although .blend files are more common we most of us can't afford commercial modeling software 8) so Blender fills a need.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
Primordial
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Primordial »

I can't model to the extent you guys need, I'm just going to throw out some 2D stuff for the other 3D people to work with.

Edit: first concept piece for the Aeran 'Acrotatus', civilian transport.

I wanted to get a general shape down before doing anything detailed. I wasn't sure if I've managed to get he 'Aeran' feel to it. They're surprisingly difficult to get, it's like a mixture of mechanical space-ship readability, crossed with semi-organic sleek and dangerous aesthetic designed.
I also broke my tablet pen, and need to invest in a new one, so this was done with a mouse.

Once I've done the 'arty' full picture part of it, I'll do the X,Y,Z axis designs.

Edit2:

Concepts continue, I have a much better idea of what I want from it now. I've been massing a wealth of reference images from various places and it's given me a far better understanding of how to pieces things together in a coherent manner. It's still roughly the same, but more Aeran. I went back and incorporated an initial concept I had, which was to retain the aggressive nature of the Aera even in an unarmed passenger hauler. I should have some more sketches up later.

Question, though:
Just how big is a 'medium passenger transport'? Does it hold exclusively organic life or does it contain room for a few vehicles too?
Primordial
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Primordial »

Further work on the Acrotatus:

Comments and suggestions welcomed.
travists
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by travists »

Sweet ride! You sure nailed aggressive.
TBeholder
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by TBeholder »

"Aggressive", yes, but isn't Aera stile "simple as a knife, atmospheric", not insectish?
But it may fit for Shmrn (fits with Dirge and Regret).
Purist and Forsaken both use boxy schemes and big separate engine modules are used in ships like Hyena and GTIO. Maybe Purist are too boxy for that, but Forsaken got Scarab, so...
LIHW (almost by definition) is specialized in optimized oddballs.
Or Uln could pick it - just for looks. :lol:
"Two Eyes Good, Eleven Eyes Better." -Michele Carter
Primordial
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Primordial »

Yeah, I did think it came closer to Aera style than before, but also had elements of Rlaan (the body) and generalized human (the engines) in it.

Well, the Dirge and regret both have very nice models now, so I'm not looking to replace those any time soon.

I suppose it should be flatter, that seems to be a bit of an Aeran thing. All one module... that's definitely the tricky part.
I'll hit the drawing board again and go for a bit of a re-design. I think I have a decent idea of the kind of shape I'm looking at - it just needs altering.

In the mean time, I'll leave that drawing up for discussion as to whether it can be used for a different ship (along with suggestions for further changes to fit the style of the agreed ship if necessary).

Cheers for the feedback so far.
travists
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by travists »

According to Wikipedia theScarabaeus sacer is the scarab of Egyptian lore, and looks like this:
That image looks like an aggressively stylized version of the dung beetle.
With little data on the Forsaken, and nothing listed on the Scarab it may well work.
TBeholder
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by TBeholder »

So it's rather fat, with side pods but without big wing/raditors - looks like a tug/shuttle/missile boat.
Not unlike a more crude variant of Llama, perhaps smaller, but relatively to its size more powerful (so it doesn't drool while carrying metals), and instead of a combined three-huller with side pods drive-only and middle hull cargo-only (for better balance and maneuverability).

If it's Scarab, there should be two variants. IMO this model would fit well: assuming that Forsaken shuttle is likely to double as a scavenger, this gives us "tractors + cargo bay" / "autocannons + big missile magazines" schemes, with one pair of mounts on "jaws"/"cranes" and possibly another beyond, slightly higher or lower (so that scooped containers / ore chunks go into the door between them).
travists
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by travists »

no takers on building this?
I gave it a try, about 17.5 K polies, un-textured and need to do the aft section and lights.
Primordial
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Primordial »

Huh, holy crap, nice going!

I'm actually working on the front and side views (initial engine variant, as opposed to missile boat.bomber variant) - the way I've got the perspective on my initial drawing makes it hard, if not impossible, to see the bend/raise in the body's back end.
I've got a rough draft of the side views, I need to get back to work on this stuff.
I've been distracted by writing and music creation.
I'm not entirely sure I've got the proportions right, but I can fix that and tart it up when I scan it and import it into photoshop.

Still, wasn't expecting that at all :D
TBeholder
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by TBeholder »

travists wrote:no takers on building this?
I gave it a try, about 17.5 K polies, un-textured and need to do the aft section and lights.
Depends on what exactly you're trying to do.
If the side pods are engines, why not to leave them simple?
Jaws - both "cranes" and "gun consoles" probably call for a wider base (a bit closer to Lancelot) and narrowing inside rather than a straight narrow inside. Closer to Primordial's second pic. The thicker "head" probably is unnecessary, straight until slanted and texture to show the transition would do.

Edit: if it's scavenger/shuttle, boxyness is okay.
I also assume the pods are missile bays/auxiliary cargo bays and secondary thrusters (perhaps closer to the hull side), then the hull carries main engines - up and down the aft end, maybe with great big cargo door opening between them when it's landed.
Last edited by TBeholder on Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
travists
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by travists »

Hey Primordial, any new view to refine this ship yet?
fhalo
Explorer
Explorer

Ship concept work

Post by fhalo »

Hi

I too would like to try and do a simple conept work or maybe a 3d model of a ship.

I'm learning about 3d Models using blender. Therefore, would like to try and do a simple ship.
travists
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by travists »

I was just tossing out a model based on the presented sketch, but if you want to build something from scratch check here. Also I gather, but have not heard anything official that nearly every ship needs updating, so if there is a ship that you think you can do better, toss it out there. Worst that can happen is you get a "thanks, but no thanks." and you can try another one. Good luck and I look forward to seeing some new ships!
Primordial
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Primordial »

I still need to get back to scratch on this stuff. Deadlines and coursework are going to take a lot of time up over Christmas, and Graphire tablet pens are ridiculously expensive, for what they are.
Apologies, my contributions to the project will be sparse for a while.