Homeworlds needed

Thinking about improving the Artwork in Vega Strike, or making your own Mod? Submit your question and ideas in this forum.

Moderator: pyramid

travists
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Homeworlds needed

Post by travists »

As many of the features being considered or developed are based on realistic population distributions the faction origins are needed. To that end, The home systems of the factions must be filled out. to serve as a radiation point for that faction. I've compiled what I can from the wiki:

(if someone can format this to display rather than taking up download space that would be great!)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Deus Siddis
Elite
Elite

Re: Homeworlds needed

Post by Deus Siddis »

Why not let the game dynamically select them at game start?
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Deus Siddis wrote:Why not let the game dynamically select them at game start?
Ehm... because it's an important part of the story/canon?

Otherwise, it's possible.

It's doubtful that the engine's pick will make a lot of sense, though, if inspected
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
travists
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by travists »

How about a compromise? A random selection flag. If radiating system is set than the engine uses that, but if the flag is a placeholder it picks. This could be further refined so that client or sub-species spawn within so many jumps of the benefactor. This would let the dynamic get started while the specific locations are discussed.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Well, the engine doesn't know anything about client/benefactor relationships either.

Without them, the random homeworlds picked could be wicked nonsense. What about picking a sector for each (perhaps easy to make sensible choices with vsmap), and let the engine pick the system randomly within the sector?
Wing Commander Universe
travists
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by travists »

Sounds like a solid plan for now.
pyramid
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by pyramid »

Good idea and that clarification is outstanding for such a long time already.

I've been discussing this with jackS back in 2008, and we came up with some proposals for the homeworlds. I was searching the past few days but cannot find the email logs anymore. They probably weren't backed up when my disc crashed back then. :(
However, I have a list of sectors in which the homeworlds are. Let me collect the info and post it back here when I get to it. Then we can go from here and make some solid proposals.
Deus Siddis
Elite
Elite

Post by Deus Siddis »

If the universe generator is not yet intelligent enough, the traffic epicenters could be human selected systems. And maybe even customized, static systems like Cephid 17 and Sol. At least to fill in the gaps in the canon for the interim.
klauss wrote: Ehm... because it's an important part of the story/canon?
Yeah but, this is about population and traffic radiation patterns.

It isn't clear that a faction's capital or first colony will be the economic center of their civilization. For example I remember jackS said something about Earth's population being around 8 billion at the time of the game and a place of only moderate economic value. Yet other, more recently human-colonized worlds appear to be primarily city and probably boast higher populations.

Other factors, like proximity of certain planet types and resources or the layout of the jump network could have a greater influence on economic density.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Deus Siddis wrote:Other factors, like proximity of certain planet types and resources or the layout of the jump network could have a greater influence on economic density.
Yes, I was thinking about this - I believe we should code the "universe initialization" in python, done when you create a new game, and serialized to the save game.

So we can improve on it later, by also creating sinks (ie: traffic goes from radiator to sink - and back - and sinks could be resource distribution points).
Wing Commander Universe
travists
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by travists »

Poking around the documentation and found another one!
Aera: SCx62381
travists
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by travists »

A thought just occurred to me. How many straight humans does one really encounter in the game? Most of the human sub-group factions have a different home system anyway. The civilization home system seems to likely be the origin point for that group. Though I have no problem with dynamically assigned, backstory and other content may be better served by set home systems and worlds.
pyramid
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by pyramid »

travists wrote:Poking around the documentation and found another one!
Aera: SCx62381
I think there is a lot of confusion in existing documentation as to which is the origin home and current home, and also as to what a specific designation actually is in regard to home sector, home system, home planet, and capital city. Could SC not be an acronym of SeCtor?

According to canon, the Aera originated from the Aeneth sector. While in the current universe map, there is no such system depicted, it may be that the above name is a code given by the humans, to a system, which's name in Aeran is altogether different. Looking at the sector map, I'd propose the origin and home system of the Aera to be Aeneilylk for no particular reason other than being in the designated sector and well into coreward direction to allow for an extensive Aera expansion without encountering other species.

A similar problem occurs with the Rlaan, where canon states the home sector as being Aantlbzz, and the home system as SCx9362, which does not exist on the current map. Could the home system be Bzzkabtl?

As for the other species / factions, I am working on a proposal, which will be shared as soon as ready.

*EDIT*

A tentative catalog of home worlds was posted on the wiki in the category page Category:Planets_and_Homeworlds.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
travists
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by travists »

pyramid wrote:...Could SC not be an acronym of SeCtor?...
Sounds reasonable, except that ralan 4th planet around scx... sounds more like a catalog designation to me. I'd say SC = "Standard Catalog" x = "volume 10" what is listed in the navcomp is the common and/or local name.

Chart looks good; a note that some of the "humanity" species are there own sub-species would be nice.
Rattan
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Rattan »

It might well be that such a knowledge falls under the spoiler category, in which case this thread might be moved to a more secluded forum.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

I don't think homeworlds should be secret.

The game should give you that information rather openly. Getting there would be the hard part.
Wing Commander Universe
travists
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by travists »

I would agree, during the height of the US-USSR cold war, the capitols, major training centers, and factories where not exactly unknown to the other side. The planet of origin and current power base are more of an encyclopedia entry kind of thing. The only spoiler that might come out of here is the home base of the ISO and/or Luddites. The intro screens already tell you where to go (Berkly in the Defiance system) to help the ISO, and the Luddites are described as a amorphous origination operating mostly out of sympathetic Purist systems. I do not even see the problem with buying a map to any of the homeworlds. If you are hostile good luck making it through, if not then there is no reason to to be able to go there!