MiningBase boost (a present from PU)

Thinking about improving the Artwork in Vega Strike, or making your own Mod? Submit your question and ideas in this forum.

Moderator: pyramid

charlieg
Elite Mercenary
Elite Mercenary

Re: MiningBase boost (a present from PU)

Post by charlieg »

I hope you can improve the asteroid texture - probably the biggest eye sore from a neutrals perspective.
Free Gamer - free software games compendium and commentary!
FreeGameDev forum - open source game development community
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

Hahaha, as I always say, I'm an engineer, not an artist; and you just gave me a perfect example: There's no way on earth I'd be able to paint an asteroid texture. If indeed I find a way to improve on it it will have to be by finding projective textures of Phobos I can remap in blender, or some procedural trick. I'd be hopeless with a brush in my hand, not to speak of a mouse... :D
charlieg
Elite Mercenary
Elite Mercenary

Post by charlieg »

I'm not sure it's as hard as you think. e.g. this Blender asteroid tutorial looks pretty easy. This 3DSmax tutorial probably has some useful tips.

Google is your friend. I don't think you need a paintbrush or any particular tools for this one.
Free Gamer - free software games compendium and commentary!
FreeGameDev forum - open source game development community
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

This tutorial is FABULOUS; learning tons I didn't know about blender just by reading through it.
I might go into an asteroid creation frenzy. We've been needing half decent asteroids for years. Thanks!
Deus Siddis
Elite
Elite

Post by Deus Siddis »

One cool thing about asteroids is. . .well, asteroids are asteroids, so if we just make a huge batch of them, all mods can use them- they're universe independent. Maybe for this reason I'll give them a shot myself down the pipe.

And further kudos on that blender tutorial charlieg, any technique that gets the job done with procedural textures immediately gets bookmarked by me.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Good point about the universality of asteroids.
Deus, if you want the asteroid job, take it; I'd love to do it myself, but I'm up to my eye-balls with stuff to do.
DaveAshton
Merchant
Merchant

Post by DaveAshton »

Apologies for the bump.

Did this ever get put into the main VS game? My 5.1 asteroid bases don't look like this (well, they didn't at the time of install. They do now :) ), and neither do my SVN folder ones?

If they've not been added... why not, they look great?