Online multiplayer is now working.

A forum for online playing, administration, bugs and feature requests
kung
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by kung »

Oh, sry no, I'm on linux using the svn version of the game. Maybe that causes the problem?
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

I do see two PlasmaPlumes in your saved game... but your other two mounts are empty.

I was asking this because I remember a bug in the code causing weapons not to show up, but I thought I fixed it.
Thanks for reporting this...

I would be curious...
Did you actually lose credits? The server won't take your credits unless you actually did buy or sell the gun.
Also, did you try reloading with the Save and Die trick?
kung
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by kung »

I'm not familiar with the save and die trick. I saved the game inbetween, yes. And I spent money for different weapons (like the plasma beams. They just don't show up, but the money got subtracted from my money.

edit: I just reconnected: The weapons now appear :). But I remember one other thing. When I selected the patrol missions (3 were available), I selected 2 and the third just disappeared.
shadow_slicer
Merchant
Merchant

Post by shadow_slicer »

But I remember one other thing. When I selected the patrol missions (3 were available), I selected 2 and the third just disappeared
I've seen this too. If two patrol missions have the same number of points to patrol and/or(?) when the bounty is the same then when you add one, the other disappears.
AshyRaccoon
Explorer
Explorer

Post by AshyRaccoon »

Using the Windows 0.5.0 Beta, I am getting "Error when joining game! NETWORK ERROR in receiving socket (error number 0)!!!" when trying to join, with my forum username/password even after using the register.py page.

Though I should note my account is actually pretty old, and I changed the name on the forums just today. (Was IceRabbit which I used here and there, but I always use this name these days.)

However, it also happens with a brand new name/pass after using register.py..
For both, it looked like it went okay.

Also, I think that maybe http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/index ... s=1&id=158
should point to this topic or something, so new people can figure out how to try the multiplayer easily.
ace123 wrote:Sorry... Tomorrow has become 3 days later.

But the account registration/joining process should now be smoother... it will automatically start you off with a Llama.begin from a forum account, even if you haven't gone to register.py.

Of course, one way this could be made yet easier is to allow anyone to register an account just by joining... but it is nicer to have some verification behind individual accounts.

I'm going to commit in SVN a fixed login process that gives a reasonable error message if your account has an incorrect password (rather than a connection error 0 or whatever).
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

Yeah, the server is down right now... I'll look into getting things working again tomorrow..

Perhaps I should put some sort of "server status" section on the homepage.
Moe479
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Moe479 »

whats the current status?

(both server and netcode)
RParhan
Explorer
Explorer

Post by RParhan »

I was also wondering what the current status of online play is... I read that it is integrated in the new 0.5.0 beta? Is it working already? Are many people playing online yet??

I just got back to playing VS after a few months and noticed the beta was up.. I think I'm gonna try it tonight :)
Xante
Hunter
Hunter

Post by Xante »

The first and last time I checked up the multiplayer (begin january) it was down. Since this thread is very still ATM I guess it's still the case. But I'll have a look this evening eather ;)
pyramid
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by pyramid »

Ace is currently working on improving and stabilizing the networking code. SO bare with him and have patience. Sure he'll announce as soon as the server is up again.
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

The server is working pretty well now, and I will try to keep it running. Yesterday I fixed what I hope is the last set of bugs with multiple systems on one server.

Most of the core features are working okay, but there are some lesser-used features that don't work yet, such as ECM, cloaking... also Ship buying does not yet work but I hope to remedy that soon.

Berkeley shut off my network access this morning because I used too much bandwidth but I'll see if I can get them to turn my network back on. They have a pretty strict policy.

Also there are some bugs with python but after I fix those, there should also be AI ships in game... as well as mission support (every type of mission should work, but I'm not completely sure yet.

I set the server to not unload any systems, but at least it should work properly as long as no one goes too far into the universe :-)
Another problem is all save game information is transfered over the network. The entire list of missions when docking is sent to the clients and to sourceforge account server, which makes things slow. I'll look into fixing that soon.

I'll keep you updated if I get a Vegastrike server running properly.
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

I am running a server, and I just committed new WIndows binaries.

It took me a bit longer than I thought at first.
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

I'll start it tomorrow... I was having some problems with Python tonight.

Here are some bugs that I have been filling in as I test the server:
Major:
- I broke savegames somehow, when I switched from %f to %g to make floating points shorter (I know it's been that way for a while but those .000000 things really bug me and they waste a lot of space).
- Missions don't start back up when I reload.
- slash commands are broken from the chat prompt (seems to add another "/" to the beginning).

Minor:
- The mission_lib script creates the same mission 10-15 times.
- I should add a "buy ship" command. I don't need to implement that yet, but just to allow for things to work when the time comes.
- I would like to remove the stupid "main menu" screen I made that shows up when the server disconnects. Maybe just bring you directly back to the server connection screen.

New features that could be added after release:
- Saved games for Server's player... This will ensure that dynamic universe data isn't regenerated each time.
- Hide ships that are docked. Or, just don't allow damage to be dealt to them.
- Reduce number of damage updates sent.
Wolfsong
Atmospheric Pilot
Atmospheric Pilot

Post by Wolfsong »

If I'm understanding this confusing mess, I have to register and then after X amount of days someone will accept it and then I will stop getting the socket 0 error?

Ps: THIS GAME IS SOOOOO CONFUSING TO GET STARTED ALL THE ZIPPING AND MESS OF FILES...make it simpler.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

There is no server online ATM and we are still in beta state not release yet things will simplify with that and you just have to register here at the forum so the the account server knows you are is all no accept/reject at all OH and welcome Wolfsong part of that confusion is the sheer size and complex nature subject itself as we do model the physics accurately even relativistic effects :wink:

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
bgaskey
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by bgaskey »

this game is still in mid-beta not ready for retail consumption yet :(
It doesn't have the polish of a finished product. Multiplayer is really still in alpha. i wouldn't suggest playing it yet. Lan games can be fun to fight each other 8)
andrewmin
Atmospheric Pilot
Atmospheric Pilot

Works out of the box?

Post by andrewmin »

Hey,
Does the MMO work out of the box in 0.5.0? Or do we still need to use SVN?
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

The MMO will work with 0.5.0, however an official server is not being hosted at the moment.

I will try to put up a clearer message.
safemode
Developer
Developer

Post by safemode »

I thought the online gameplay was limited in number of players. If it doesn't have more than 16 players supported at once, it's definitely not capable of the first M.
Ed Sweetman endorses this message.
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

there's nothing in the theory of how it works preventing the use of that first 'M'. I have been able to spawn a number of AI ships before (whose positions all get sent to every client) and have it work.
I haven't tried much in the hundreds range because the server starts to send out too much data every frame.

The only limitation will be bandwidth, and that happens because the server sends positions of all the clients in a system every frame.

As far as number of systems, there is no limit to that, assuming we have enough servers and enough RAM on each server (and hopefully we will work towards having a lower memory footprint).

All of these are server improvements that can take place as we work towards 0.5.1, that should not require changing the protocol.

Regardless, you can't really say "MO Game" because I've never heard that term--in general it helps to have a three-letter acronym to make it recognisable.
lano
Insys Pilot
Insys Pilot

Post by lano »

Hi,

I have seen that the server was offline for bug fixes.
When do you think an official server will be online ?

How many online players do you think be able to handle?

[i]I think this is a very interesting project, that MUST go on.[/i]
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Welcome lano and thz for the ego boo 8) not sure on the status of the MP server ace123 keeps adding things to it :D so it's in almost permanent test mode :wink:

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
www2
Venturer
Venturer
Location: milkyway->the sol system->earth->Europe->The Nederland->Soud Holland->Leiden

Post by www2 »

@loki1950
The servers are current off line.
All Your Base Are Belong To Us
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

I promise I'll get one up this weekend. Steelrush who has been working with privateer teams is willing to host a vegastrike server for testing purposes (and this is an alpha release).

Yes, I wanted to get it up last weekend but I have started a summer job and so I haven't gotten around to it.
One bug is pending on faction fixes that I might be able to commit tonight (otherwise all players will see each other as enemies which isn't good).

Also I haven't had all too much in the way of interest expressed towards multiplayer--you're one of the first people to respond to this topic since 0.5 was released.
CLoneWolf
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by CLoneWolf »

[quote="ace123"]Also I haven't had all too much in the way of interest expressed towards multiplayer--you're one of the first people to respond to this topic since 0.5 was released.[/quote]

Errrr... here's another! I was waiting to test the online play before commenting on it :roll:

I've just given it a go and here's what i noticed so far:

- in the mid of full spec travels, i randomly see the shield depletion animation again (harmless glitch, anyway)

- seemingly unable to dock at serenity; ok, i'm at -77 with rlaan, but relay had let me dock after the classical F1-spam and alt-0

- seemingly unable to repair hull; it looks damaged after a clumsy egress from serenity (btw sometimes the base moved around me while i was standing still, speed 0 and trying to dock, it looked like being inside a monster's stomach :) ) I could repair the shields, but basic repair says i have no other damage; despite that, the hull still looks orange in the hud

- this is a longer story:
Atlantis, i buy some sample cargo to check the selling prices around the system; i notice a scan mission, i accept it so i can dock and check prices right after the scan (without saving, as i've read that, at least for offline play, saving during a mission can behave weirdly iirc).
After undocking from one of the targets, i notice i have a nothing.mission in my hud with the remaining objectives, under the original Mission 1; completing those objectives made em green in the new mission but not in the original; i got regularly credited at end of scans, but Mission 1 got hung and appeared as still active, while nothing.mission had gone.

See ya'll in outer space! :)

...and feel free to move this post to a more appropriate spot if this wasn't it :roll:

CLoneWolf

-edit-
Thanks for the welcome, loki1950! Here's some more info from a second run:

- i had noticed this already on 1st run but forgot to mention: alt-n seems not working as i try to cycle thru mission navpoints

- i had 2 crashes with the SDL parachute deployed message while dealing with the cargo menu (btw i'm on Debian Sid, Athlon XP 2200+ 1GB Ram, running the official 0.5)

- restarted the game after a crash and reconnected: the hull was fine, but top speed was down to 288 (pure llama.begin, no upgrades) and pressing the AB key brought it down to 255, as if i had engine damage; again, there was apparently nothing to fix, basic repair included

- the mission hijacking happened again but differently for some reasons

1: no docking involved this time; as soon as i left the place where i accepted the mission, the parasite mission appeared on hud

2: the parasite mission was correctly called In System Patrol instead of nothing.mission (the mission i accepted was called Mission 1 in both cases)

3: the parasite mission only had the Jump to Cephid 17 objective in list, and it was inactive as it was already green in the original mission

4: the parasite mission hijacked the 1st scanned objective, but upon completion this time it was the original mission to appear as completed and the parasite to stay hung
Last edited by CLoneWolf on Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.