Online multiplayer is now working.

A forum for online playing, administration, bugs and feature requests
Testing Account
Insys Pilot
Insys Pilot

Post by Testing Account »

Hmm.. that doesn't look good.
I'm not sure if it will be possible to host the game server here any more. I could try switching it to a file backend (which means you have to register)

It some point, it may be worthwhile to set up a redirection to a different server.
SiroDJ
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by SiroDJ »

Would it be possible for me to post a link to a working account server I have hosted, or is this against a rule that I'm unaware of?
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

I can set up a redirect from http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/cgi-b ... .py?sirodj to your accountserver

Does yours need registration or are you making it create an account the first time you login?
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Welcome SiroDJ i am quite sure that is possible but i don't know the specifics ace123 should be by later to add those :wink:

Edit:Faster at the keyboard you are ace :lol:

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
SiroDJ
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by SiroDJ »

Yes, a CGI account server is all set up to run. After a day and a half of muddling about, I figured a way to run it. Works great, I found the user files in the directory where saved data is sent. It loaded to the Crucible system, as I connected to the server remotely. I considered it a successes once I came to that point.

After coming to the conclusion that I probably didn't follow the readme correctly, I had run a slightly modified version of the account server, using a script called CGIHTTPServer.py, which is found in Python v2.5.2.

The setup was pretty simple. A very nice friend of mine kindly setup an SQL database, sparing me from hair loss. I then:

Created a folder arbitrarily called, /PythonHTTPServer/... and .../cgi-bin/, within.
Placed the account server files inside .../cgi-bin/, and,
CGIHTTPServer.py within the /PythonHTTPServer/ folder and ran it.

The only problem I have with using the modified account server is that it uses the same port as a SHOUTCast server, on 8000, as opposed to 8080 with the original intended setup. Easy to fix, I suppose. I only saw this once checking for replies here, and to see if the vega strike servers were still up.

I just have to semi-ask my friend for permission to move the port of the SHOUTCast server, or figure a way to move the account server port within CGIHTTPServer.py. So yes, I shall PM Ace123 with the details for the redirect, once one or the other solution occurs. Hopefully that will give me time to clear up the port problem with little delay.

EDIT:
Also, as a complement, I admire this community and it's development team. I've been following Vega Strike for some time now, and I thought you all deserved some gravitas. :]
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

We are still dealing with fallout from souceforge's move and PM and e-mail notifications are affected so it will have to be direct e-mail :shock: so use ace123@users.sourceforge.net that at least still works :?

And thanks for the ego boos :D

my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
SiroDJ
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by SiroDJ »

Thank you!

In addition, the port problem is fixed whereas the CGIHTTPServer.py file accepts an argument specially for ports, otherwise, defaulting to 8000.
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

I added a redirect to your server.

Could you enable creation the first time you login? It is much simpler than the going through the register.py page.
www2 is working on a new version of the accountserver, but for now this is what we have.

To do this, put in your mysql_dbconfig:

Code: Select all

'create_user': True,
But I suppose the problem is that then most people will be in Llamas and there is currently no way to buy a ship (it will be implemented in the future)
Derrick
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by Derrick »

Hey its derrick im the one hosting all the stuff with SiroDJ...
Just wanted to know if you can help us link the user db to a phpbb db..
Because that would make things a lot easier..
I do plane on setting up a phpbb site for users to register for the game and post stuff about there in game player life and stuff..
So maybe you guys could give me some pointers to get it set up ..

Thanks Derrick
ace123 wrote:I added a redirect to your server.

Could you enable creation the first time you login? It is much simpler than the going through the register.py page.
www2 is working on a new version of the accountserver, but for now this is what we have.

To do this, put in your mysql_dbconfig:

Code: Select all

'create_user': True,
But I suppose the problem is that then most people will be in Llamas and there is currently no way to buy a ship (it will be implemented in the future)
loki1950
The Shepherd

Re: Online multiplayer is now working.

Post by loki1950 »

Luck with the MP server guys :D

Enjoy the Choice :D
Captain{}Blood
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Captain{}Blood »

I need to link the server I am testing on a hosted site to the account server, what do I need to do that with?
My Rig
EVGA 780 SLI
Intel Core 2 Quad 9450 clocked to 3.4 GHz
4 Gigs OCZ SLI DDr2 800 memory
2X EVGA NVidia 8800 GT OC 512 SLi
ABS 800 watt modular supply
All stuffed into a Lian Li A05 case
KillerB
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Re:

Post by KillerB »

loki1950 wrote:We are still dealing with fallout from souceforge's move and PM and e-mail notifications are affected so it will have to be direct e-mail :shock: so use ace123@users.sourceforge.net that at least still works :?

And thanks for the ego boos :D

I sent the email request w/ a username and password. Now when I try to log in using them, I get an error message "server encountered unexpected socket request" or some such.
I tried it with the username but no password, with the password but no username, and with leaving both fields blank and got "incorrect password" message....so apparently it RECOGNIZED my info, it just didn't know what to do with it?
[OC]Killer B
Vanguard Federation of Gamers
=VFF Productions=
Antares Mod for Freelancer Team
Storyline Writer/Cat Herder/PR guy
General in the Ordered Chaos Corporation
Vanguard 2 Server
Science Fiction and Action Adventure writer at Antares Dreamscape
Website Creator at Awesome Websites
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

I have feeling that there is still not a server online.

KillerB
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by KillerB »

hmmm kinda wierd it doesn't just say 'failure to connect' or 'no response'....
*edited* on a hunch i tried entering the username i had submitted in all smallcase...this time the message was something like
"the server says you should register at http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net
as an alpha you should expect some downtime"
so apparently the server is THERE and it has my account info in it now....it just isn't able to do anything with it :?
[OC]Killer B
Vanguard Federation of Gamers
=VFF Productions=
Antares Mod for Freelancer Team
Storyline Writer/Cat Herder/PR guy
General in the Ordered Chaos Corporation
Vanguard 2 Server
Science Fiction and Action Adventure writer at Antares Dreamscape
Website Creator at Awesome Websites
DucksofGrass
Atmospheric Pilot
Atmospheric Pilot

Post by DucksofGrass »

I get this when it try to register here:http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/cgi-b ... _submit.py

AttributeError Python 2.4.3: /usr/bin/python
Fri May 29 17:42:23 2009

A problem occurred in a Python script. Here is the sequence of function calls leading up to the error, in the order they occurred.

/home/groups/v/ve/vegastrike/cgi-bin/register_submit.py
76 mod = os.environ.get('QUERY_STRING','')

77 conn = db.connect(settings.dbconfig, mod)

78 if post_args:

79 execute(conn, mod, post_args)

execute = <function execute>, conn = <db.FileDB instance>, mod = '', post_args = {'faction': 'aera', 'password': 'tigger01', 'type': 'Beholder', 'username': 'DucksofGrass'}
/home/groups/v/ve/vegastrike/cgi-bin/register_submit.py in execute(dbconn=<db.FileDB instance>, mod='', form={'faction': 'aera', 'password': 'tigger01', 'type': 'Beholder', 'username': 'DucksofGrass'})
42 type = dbconn.check_string( form.get("type",'') )

44 if not dbconn.check_password(username, password, True):

45 raise db.DBError,"Error password for username "+username+" does not match our records"

dbconn = <db.FileDB instance>, dbconn.check_password = <bound method FileDB.check_password of <db.FileDB instance>>, username = 'DucksofGrass', password = 'tigger01', builtin True = True
/home/groups/v/ve/vegastrike/cgi-bin/db.py in check_password(self=<db.FileDB instance>, username='DucksofGrass', password='tigger01', can_create=True)
228 s=f.read()

229 f.close()

230 if self.compare_password(s, password):

231 success=True

232 except IOError:

self = <db.FileDB instance>, self.compare_password = <bound method FileDB.compare_password of <db.FileDB instance>>, s = '', password = 'tigger01'
/home/groups/v/ve/vegastrike/cgi-bin/db.py in compare_password(self=<db.FileDB instance>, hash='', password='tigger01')

108 def compare_password(self, hash, password):

109 phash = self.hash_password(password)

110 if len(hash)<len(phash):

111 return password == hash

phash undefined, self = <db.FileDB instance>, self.hash_password = <bound method FileDB.hash_password of <db.FileDB instance>>, password = 'tigger01'
/home/groups/v/ve/vegastrike/cgi-bin/db.py in hash_password(self=<db.FileDB instance>, password='tigger01')
99 pass

100 def hash_password(self, password):

101 if settings.password_hash_methode == 'md5':

102 import md5

103 return md5.md5(password).hexdigest()

global settings = <module 'settings' from '/home/groups/v/ve/vegastrike/cgi-bin/settings.py'>, settings.password_hash_methode undefined

AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'password_hash_methode'
args = ("'module' object has no attribute 'password_hash_methode'",)

And when i start the game it gives me NETWORK ERROR: Unexpected socket request!

What's wrong? or is this game basically just dead?
Greekgifted
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Greekgifted »

I think that someone pretty much left half of the server running and that's why it looks like multiplayer is working. The web interface is up but all of the fun stuff (the game) is as far as I know, not being hosted anywhere.

I don't think it would be hard to "plug in" the actual server, we just need someone with a decent internet connection and a spare computer to get it running.
MC707
Venturer
Venturer

Post by MC707 »

Greekgifted wrote:we just need someone with a decent internet connection and a spare computer to get it running.
I could spare my pentium III or my current box if I bought a new one, but my internet connection sucks badly.
My Machine: OS: Ubuntu 8.10 (intrepid) 64 bit in a 500GB Maxtor HD @ 7200 RPM, Windows Vista PsyChoses Edition 2009 32 bit in a 500GB Samsung HD @ 7200 RPM CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz GPU: nVidia GeForce 9400 GT @ 1024 MB RAM: 3891 MB
Earthlings|The End of the Internet?|FreeWebsite
Greekgifted
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Greekgifted »

Yeah that's the thing, I don't know what we would need for connection speed. If your connection is stable and doesn't randomly quit, then we could try it and see what the requirements might be. And I don't even know if a Pentium III will work for a lot of people, I only tried it with 2 clients so.... If you want to try it then we can see if www2 can link the already running httpserver to it.
MC707
Venturer
Venturer

Post by MC707 »

actually, for now we could try with my monster box (check sig), cuz my crappy (I really wanted to use something stronger then 'crappy', but meh :roll: ) ISP only lets us have three PCs connected to the same switch, and my brothers are already using 2 slots with mine being the third. My pentium III would be a fourth so not for now I guess. nevertheless, we could try. My connection is a crappy 1 Mbps down, 256 kbps up. can download at 130 KBps, but only upload 30 KBps. We shall see then, just gimme the info on what I need to do to get the server up and then link the httpserver to it. Will stop my torrents for the moment :lol: I owe some 4GB worth of ROMS to the torrent community, but thats off topic so I shut my mouth now :lol:
My Machine: OS: Ubuntu 8.10 (intrepid) 64 bit in a 500GB Maxtor HD @ 7200 RPM, Windows Vista PsyChoses Edition 2009 32 bit in a 500GB Samsung HD @ 7200 RPM CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz GPU: nVidia GeForce 9400 GT @ 1024 MB RAM: 3891 MB
www2
Venturer
Venturer
Location: milkyway->the sol system->earth->Europe->The Nederland->Soud Holland->Leiden

Post by www2 »

I heft current i heft only a host space and buy the domains for vega strike that current linkt to the main page of this site.
But i plan to buy a second-hand or me be even new server and rent a Colocatie in a data center in Amsterdam.
All Your Base Are Belong To Us
Greekgifted
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Greekgifted »

So that's cool, looks like we're gonna get this going. And with a quad core too it looks like, after all that....
So to set up the server, the first thing you gotta make sure is that people can get to you. I don't know how you would do this with your router or whatever you use, so I'll assume you know! :P

Along with that there are some changes to vegastrike.config that need to be made in the server and networking sections down at the bottom:
- make sure "useaccountserver" in the server section is set to true.
- "account_server_url" will be set to the full url of the account server that it looks like www2 is going to get going.
- can't hurt to have "use_account_server" set to true.

I think that's all other stuff can be left at defaults like the server_ip and server_port, or at least I think so. Maybe we should make sure "server_port" is set to 6777 and "server_ip" set to the ip of your machine. We can tweak some of the other settings later for a different galaxy or update periods. And I think this will overwrite any single player game you have going, so you might want to do it in a different user, with a different set of data.

Big thanks to both of you :D I feel like I need to be setting something up, but that may not be for a while.

Oh and which version are we going to use? Or does it not make a difference? Are we going to use the stable or an svn build?
MC707
Venturer
Venturer

Post by MC707 »

well, SVN seems to be the best bet, since it probably has an update to the mp engine or something like that and the fact that I will have SVN installed. Oh, and the server that comes with the *stable* release doesn't work (neither vssetup nor vegastrike :roll: ). So what I have to do now is wait for the url www2 will give us, right? In the mean time, I will pay off the torrents, back up everything and install a fresh 64 bit vista and a 64 bit kubuntu. my current ubuntu is fu***d up, and my current vista is 32 bits (im wasting 1 GB ram). Oh I already updated my bios and surprisingly enough my boot time is a blink!!! but thats off topic so shush :lol:
Greekgifted
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Greekgifted »

I only mentioned using 0.5 because someone eventually might try to connect with a new svn version, and I don't know if that will affect gameplay. And I've looked at the network stuff for both svn and stable. I may be wrong but I think it's pretty much exactly the same so it should have worked all you have to do is run vegaserver. I don't think you need vssetup or vegastrike (the binary).

So yeah I guess we just have to wait for www2 to say he's got the server up and we can get yours going! :D
MC707
Venturer
Venturer

Post by MC707 »

sounds like a plan. :D
www2
Venturer
Venturer
Location: milkyway->the sol system->earth->Europe->The Nederland->Soud Holland->Leiden

Post by www2 »

My current problem is that my hosting provider dont suport python and money for buying a server.
All Your Base Are Belong To Us