Online multiplayer is now working.

A forum for online playing, administration, bugs and feature requests
Greekgifted
Merchant
Merchant

Re: Online multiplayer is now working.

Post by Greekgifted »

Looks you've got something that has python support: http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/register.py

If this represents the most recent network code, can it just be told where MC707's server will be?

If not, maybe we can just replace it with the updated http/account server.

I think we could just do one of those 2 things and be online in a snap!
www2
Venturer
Venturer
Location: milkyway->the sol system->earth->Europe->The Nederland->Soud Holland->Leiden

Post by www2 »

@Greekgifted

All network code are current in the alpha state.
But the problem that we heft current in sf.net account server is that the setting that select with encryption use is not set.
All Your Base Are Belong To Us
Greekgifted
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Greekgifted »

Do you mean encryption for the player's passwords or for something else? And is it something that can be fixed?
www2
Venturer
Venturer
Location: milkyway->the sol system->earth->Europe->The Nederland->Soud Holland->Leiden

Post by www2 »

yes i mean the encryption for the player's passwords.
that can be easy fix.
But the older problem is that the that the script use phpbb2 accounts tabel.
All Your Base Are Belong To Us
MC707
Venturer
Venturer

Post by MC707 »

www2 wrote:But the older problem is that the that the script use phpbb2 accounts tabel.
How will that be fixed?
My Machine: OS: Ubuntu 8.10 (intrepid) 64 bit in a 500GB Maxtor HD @ 7200 RPM, Windows Vista PsyChoses Edition 2009 32 bit in a 500GB Samsung HD @ 7200 RPM CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz GPU: nVidia GeForce 9400 GT @ 1024 MB RAM: 3891 MB
Earthlings|The End of the Internet?|FreeWebsite
Greekgifted
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Greekgifted »

In an extreme case, we can just start completely over, with fresh scripts and everything. Alternatively, we could either try to get it to use the current forum database, OR we can just set "dbconfig" in settings.py to "file_dbconfig" give it a path to the place to save everything and we'll be up and running. Although the problem with the latter is that it can get unwieldy, all the saved passwords and save game files go to the same directory...
MC707
Venturer
Venturer

Post by MC707 »

Greekgifted wrote:In an extreme case, we can just start completely over, with fresh scripts and everything. Alternatively, we could either try to get it to use the current forum database, OR we can just set "dbconfig" in settings.py to "file_dbconfig" give it a path to the place to save everything and we'll be up and running. Although the problem with the latter is that it can get unwieldy, all the saved passwords and save game files go to the same directory...
Who would do this? I would help, but I don't know coding (yet :wink: )
My Machine: OS: Ubuntu 8.10 (intrepid) 64 bit in a 500GB Maxtor HD @ 7200 RPM, Windows Vista PsyChoses Edition 2009 32 bit in a 500GB Samsung HD @ 7200 RPM CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz GPU: nVidia GeForce 9400 GT @ 1024 MB RAM: 3891 MB
Greekgifted
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Greekgifted »

IF I had direct access to the server, this would probably be done already :wink: All that dbconfig stuff was just a bunch variables in a settings file. Kinda like editing vegastrike.config except it's not XML.

And really the only people that CAN do this are those who have their "permissions" set to access the server. So I guess we just have to wait if we want to use the Vegastrike website to host it.
MC707
Venturer
Venturer

Post by MC707 »

so you are kinda saying this is a problem with permissions regarding the website? I mean, could it be done [hosted I guess] in another website or something?
Greekgifted
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Greekgifted »

The permissions thing I mentioned was just in response to your question, "Who would do this?" I don't doubt that www2 can do what is needed to set the server up for us, its just a matter of having direct access to whatever it is is hosting the website. So what I meant was the www2 is probably one of the few people that can change the settings to redirect it to your server.

However, if you were impatient :P it would be possible and probably not very hard to set up an independent website - separate from the VS website - and have that run the account server. I just thought it would be nice to use the main VS website to run it because then it might be viewed as more *official* and it would be one less website to keep track of.

Point is, someone like me can't do anything about where the accountserver directs to or what it's settings are. This is good though, because that means someone like me can't get in, change stuff around, steal passwords, etc. :D
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Actually it's ace123 who has primary access to the sourceforge server's control panel.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
MC707
Venturer
Venturer

Post by MC707 »

loki1950 wrote:Actually it's ace123 who has primary access to the sourceforge server's control panel.
Thats what I meant. correct me if I am wrong, but ace is not too active atm, so you might get impatient rather than me :P
fhalo
Explorer
Explorer

Online multiplayer

Post by fhalo »

HI
Is the multiplayer server online?
JarnellGondor
Explorer
Explorer

Post by JarnellGondor »

OK so I'm running VS on a MAC and I tried to get into the multiplayer and got an error message telling me to go to http://tharin.ath.cx. I put that in as the server address and it keeps kicking me out is this a glitch in the server system or an error in mine? I'm a rook at this kinda thing so this is why I ask...
Gungnir
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Gungnir »

JarnellGondor wrote:OK so I'm running VS on a MAC and I tried to get into the multiplayer and got an error message telling me to go to http://tharin.ath.cx. I put that in as the server address and it keeps kicking me out is this a glitch in the server system or an error in mine? I'm a rook at this kinda thing so this is why I ask...
The official server is down, so it redirects you to the Tharin one, but I think that one is down too...
~Gungnir
segfault wrote:if I was actually in space I'd totally be throwing on autopilot and relaxing in the back during the trip, sipping space wine and listening (rlaan?) jazz.
Rig: i5 2500k @ 5ghz, 2x OCZ Agility 3 120gb SSD boot drives, AMD Radeon HD 7950 @ 1100/1575 (Catalyst 12.1 Linux and 12.3 Windows), dual-boot Fedora 16 KDE and Windows 7 Pro
JarnellGondor
Explorer
Explorer

Post by JarnellGondor »

But that does not explain why im getting kicked outta vs all together the whole program shuts down...... *sniff*
Mets
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Mets »

JarnellGondor wrote:But that does not explain why im getting kicked outta vs all together the whole program shuts down...... *sniff*
I had no idea the game was redirecting people to my server, that's awesome! The address, however, is http://tharin.uni.cc, which is quite alive and well, currently hosting 92 accounts.

Multiplayer is still quite beta, so it's not surprising that it can cause crashes. As long as you don't try anything ridiculous in game, you'll be fine.
JarnellGondor
Explorer
Explorer

Post by JarnellGondor »

I'll give it another shot but it will start the log in then kick the program i don't even make it into the server but thanks for the info
Mets
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Mets »

When one of the devs / mods gets a chance, please update the message from the main multiplayer server. The Tharin Server is located at http://www.tharin.uni.cc, not the address currently showing.

Thanks,
Mets
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

Mets wrote:When one of the devs / mods gets a chance, please update the message from the main multiplayer server. The Tharin Server is located at http://www.tharin.uni.cc, not the address currently showing.

Thanks,
Mets
Okay, I updated the message to point there. :-)
Mets
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Mets »

ace, or anybody else, is there a way to make news stories that show up at the stations? Or any ways to customize the universe?
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

Everything you can do in the universe can be customized from the .py files in "data/modules".

You should be aware that a lot of these files haven't been touched in some time, but a lot of the logic should be easy to figure out and change if you are even just a little familiar with python.

The news stories are handled, I think, in news.py, dynamic_news.py, and dynamic_news_content.py are what you want.
We actually have two different news systems--news.py does completely random events like scripted stories or it create surpluses or shortages (we don't have a real economy). Dynamic_news and dynamic_news_content does things based on the actual dynamic universe simulations. For example if there's a border system that may change hands, it simulates large battles and creates news events depending on the outcome.

There are a lot of other random python code:
creating missions,
simulating dynamic universe,
random encounters in each system,
music,
code to run each mission (in the "missions" subfolder),
content for bases and computers (in "data/bases", not in modules),
campaigns/quests,
etc.

There are also some multiplayer-specific python code at "computer.py" which do things like display a menu if you go to the top corner of bars where news items may be, and "server_lib.py" which handles the commands that you type at the "]" prompt in-flight.
Mets
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Mets »

ace, is there any way to have AI ships in a multiplayer game?
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

First of all, it should support missions, which often spawn ai ships, so there's always that. But the missions so far aren't multiplayer-aware, so they give credits only to the person who accepted the mission even if someone else actually defeated the enemies.

Missions aside, "server_lib.py" offers the ability to hit "]" to open up a prompt and type various commands.

For launching ships, "/launchme ..." will launch ai ships near yourself, and also /launchtarg will launch ai ships near your target. You can do "/help launchme" for a description. It has a faction selection. I generally do "privateer" for friendly ships and "aera" for enemies.

Unfortunately the authentication mechanism is a bit of a hack, but you can only run some commands like "/launch*" if you're an admin. Basically, anybody connecting to "127.0.0.1" (localhost) is automatically an admin, and an admin can use "/setadmin <somebody> 1" to make that other person also an admin. The admin status is saved in the savegame data, so you only need to do this once.

If you don't care for the authentication nonsense, you can go to server_lib.py, processMessage() and add "auth = 1" to allow anybody to reload python modules and launch ships. Also, if you want to hack on python scripts, there's a handy command "/reload" which reloads a script without restarting the whole server.

Watch out for large numbers of AI ships. If they all fire at once, there's a bug where the AI ships will spam fire messages every frame, and eventually cause a backlog in the client or the server.
Mets
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Mets »

Interesting, I can't wait to try. Can you restrict admin permissions to only certain users, instead of anybody who types the command?

EDIT
I guess I'm not quite following you now that I re-read it...does any user who connects to the server automatically have admin permissions, or is there somewhere else you need to connect to? I was assuming you would type in /setadmin in game, not on your box where you're running vegaserver, but perhaps I'm wrong?