Multiplayer initial testing success

A forum for online playing, administration, bugs and feature requests
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Multiplayer initial testing success

Post by hellcatv »

Well so far we've had 4 players online at once and no crashes and little lag :-) ... feel free to join the fray by following directions here

http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/forum ... php?t=7355
Vega Strike Lead Developer
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/

Post by Guest »

I find it very amazing that you have a multiplayer thing running even before the game got ported to Ogre3D rendering engine.

The game stilll needs a lot of polishing before it can go into MMO version but this is good enough.

I hope in the future, there will be some version(out of many) of an MMO using the VS universe that brings back the good old days of space flight multiplayer... I have not seen this in years because of the complexity of the modern space games(X, and other RTS games). Sort of like Freelancer but in 1st person view and twitch based controls.

Oh man thats just a dream... but if it was to become reality, it will be my newest addiction.

But is it too early for the MMO planning? I have some I might want to send you that if I can find my password for the original account.
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

well many weeks or even months will be taken up getting the following features in...

a) robust multiplayer deathmach (this is what the current test is about)
b) star systems which you can fly around in
--including server dictating when spec is not allowed
c) more than one star system---by connecting together a lot of single-starsystem servers and a route to connect between them..
d) a method to save your characters [this is actually mostly done--but not all the way]
e) some method to have the server decide on missions and what appears on the base

once we have e) going then we can start to think of the implications of MMO...right now we're at a...and it took us years and years to get there

most of all we just need a dedicated, competent programmer to work on this stuff, since right now ace123 and I are just starting our school years---and school is long :-)
z30
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by z30 »

Congratulations all around - I knew this would happen one day but never thought it would be this soon :)
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

well don't congratulate me too soon... try it first :-)

*sigh* somone killed all my ships I had patiently waiting around...

well I guess I have to login with more lest someone comes home to an empty server
www2
Venturer
Venturer
Location: milkyway->the sol system->earth->Europe->The Nederland->Soud Holland->Leiden

Post by www2 »

one thing can i say:
This is good news!!!!

i know this yesterday when i check the svn and i see that the ip for the game server was thans...
on i hef check by hellcatv and answer thant that this is true...

one thing...
is a lunch party a good idea for the mmo releas?
All Your Base Are Belong To Us
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

hehehe well this isn't MMO yet...strictly deathmatch... I've listed elsewhere what is necessary to get MMO capability--and it will require both dedicated developers and time --- both of which are short these days--but feel free to try to look for folk
www2
Venturer
Venturer
Location: milkyway->the sol system->earth->Europe->The Nederland->Soud Holland->Leiden

Post by www2 »

@hellcatv

can i sing up the game by mmorpg.com...
or is this te early? ;)

Post by Guest »

I would say too early.
jackS
Minister of Information
Minister of Information

Post by jackS »

definitely too early.

While there may be some infrastructure consideration given to future expansion while getting simple deathmatch up and running, multiplayer functionality will be developed in an iterative process, starting with Deathmatch, which isn't even itself in anything other than pre-alpha state.
www2
Venturer
Venturer

Post by www2 »

@jackS

no problem is only a idea...
prolog
Hunter
Hunter

Post by prolog »

Some questions:

I notice that the system is devoid of interesting features (planets, asteroid fields, etc) beyond the nebula background. Is there anything in the code that's preventing players from being on planets simultaneously, etc? Failing that, could we get an asteroid field or two? ;)
Current rig: Refurbished Robin
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

feature a is in pre-alpha
feature b is not even ready yet...
and you're asking why the system is empty---well it's waiting upon step b

a) robust multiplayer deathmach (this is what the current test is about)
b) star systems which you can fly around in
--including server dictating when spec is not allowed

Also I've not seen many people flying around on the server... one dude logged in and blew me up (I was sitting there while sleeping) and then logged out...

I guess you guys gotta contact your friends directly and make sure they logon at the same time... or we gotta get critical mass somehow :-)
peloskie
Explorer
Explorer

Post by peloskie »

there are a couple of people from the following communities who might want to come and test the multiplayer.

let me get a list:
www.wcnews.com
www.joystickrequired.com
www.lancersreactor.com (the site is down for a while)

thats all I know so far.
peloskie
Explorer
Explorer

Post by peloskie »

well the reason why there are so little people is because it requires the person to be fimilar and experienced with unix style geeky stuff like CVS with a few command lines.

i was telling a person about this and he did not accept it because i didn't know how to get it using that method.

a lot of gamers would perfer downloading the beta thing from http style download and then they could bug hellcat for the register account thing.
geoscope
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by geoscope »

@peloskie, an open call for new players to test VS networked play is premature... In any project, Alpha and pre-alpha testing should be done by active developers, and those who are very familiar with the project, and know what to expect... crashes, halts, debugging... and these are people who know they need to pass on the debug info to the active developers EVERY time that happens. Even most regular VS players shouldn't touch the network play, until at least early beta testing. There are maybe 10-15 people right now that ought to be testing the alpha, and maybe another 20-30 long time members of the VS community that could join them.

It's perfectly reasonable that whoever is alpha-testing this new game ability should already know how to fetch and build the SVN code, because that degree of familiarity should be a prerequisite to doing the alpha-testing. Likely alpha-testers should already be doing that.
micheal_andreas_stahl
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by micheal_andreas_stahl »

peloskie wrote:well the reason why there are so little people is because it requires the person to be fimilar and experienced with unix style geeky stuff like CVS with a few command lines.

i was telling a person about this and he did not accept it because i didn't know how to get it using that method.

a lot of gamers would perfer downloading the beta thing from http style download and then they could bug hellcat for the register account thing.
All i need to say to get anyone to get enterested in this stuff is that it's better than Freelancer. :D
"The bullets come out of the slim end, mate!"

Sniper after dominating another Sniper
Team Fortress 2
mkruer
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by mkruer »

There are two things that I think should be fixed. First is a server time out when launching the game. When the server goes down and I launch the client I think it’s my system that’s crashed when in fact the game is just waiting for the server to respond. Second is the lag, you have improved it quite a bit already, but there is still a large issues when firing and the game displaying it, can we get some sort of response time back. Anything over 500ms is more of less pointless to play, even 200 is stretching it. Ideally you would like it to be around 100ms. Because I am on fiber optic, my average delay is about 50-70ms.

Also kill all thoes ejected pilots.
I know you believe you understand what you think I said.
But I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Wing Commander Universe Forum | Wiki
Wing Commander: The Wasteland Incident
micheal_andreas_stahl
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by micheal_andreas_stahl »

Killing ejected pilots would be murder would it not? That COULD get you to be disliked. Why doesn't change you rep with confed and militia when you kill a ejected pilot. that's what the kilrathi do.
"The bullets come out of the slim end, mate!"

Sniper after dominating another Sniper
Team Fortress 2
mkruer
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by mkruer »

We should coordinate a time to all get in and play to stress the system this week end would probably be the best. I am more or less game any time this weekend.

zaydana
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by zaydana »

peloskie wrote:well the reason why there are so little people is because it requires the person to be fimilar and experienced with unix style geeky stuff like CVS with a few command lines.

Actually, from my (extremely limited) experience with the VS codebase, if you are clever you don't need to touch a command line, altho no matter what programming language you are using a command line is still a great thing to know. The thing you will be most interested in to eliminiate command line stuff is Totoise SVN (which most developers these days should have a hang of, VS or not VS). Combined with a good IDE (Visual Studio.net works), then you can build and edit it commandlinelessly, in windows.

Of course, I havn't actually done an SVN checkout on VS for quite a while at the moment, so somebody correct me if i'm wrong...
mkruer
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by mkruer »

nope that’s about right, it’s a lot easier then people think. I think that most people just don’t want to install SVN client because they are lazy.

It took me longer to configure my onw config file then copy the game

www2
Venturer
Venturer

Post by www2 »

mkruer wrote:We should coordinate a time to all get in and play to stress the system this week end would probably be the best. I am more or less game any time this weekend.
good idea...
i thin the best time for the test is form saturday 12:00 PM utc to sunday 12:00 PM uct...
Oblivion
Artisan Extraordinaire
Artisan Extraordinaire

Post by Oblivion »

:D Yay! I can smell VERSION RELEASE in the air...
A Step Into Oblivion

Dreams of things that will never be,
Songs of thoughts only I can hear,
Leave me be to sleep forever,
To dream my dreams,
And sing my hymns,
Of things that will never be...
prolog
Hunter
Hunter

Post by prolog »

mkruer wrote:nope that’s about right, it’s a lot easier then people think. I think that most people just don’t want to install SVN client because they are lazy.

It took me longer to configure my onw config file then copy the game
When I installed TortoiseSVN, I had to hunt around for information on how to grab the VS codebase. A nice simple "do this, then do this, then do this" on the main page would be nice, if it's not already there.
Current rig: Refurbished Robin