Post your multiplayer Ideas here..

A forum for online playing, administration, bugs and feature requests
Alaskan
Hunter
Hunter

Post by Alaskan »

They are client side to a degree.

The client updates it's velocity and position, but gets to fly without asking the server where it is. They can only fly for x seconds without an OK from the server, after that time they freeze and eventually get disconnected.

This game will be easier than an FPS because you don't have to factor in the ability to instantaniously move. (On a fps, you can be stationary then strafe instantly) On vegastriek (What I have seen of it anyway) Youcan be flying then change your heading, which slowly changes your velocity.
2 133t for joo!!!
StoneCold
Trader
Trader

Post by StoneCold »

here's my question: Will a very high ping observer be allowed to connect?

Post by Guest »

Along with TCP connection option could we have a gzip etc compression option (mozilla or midnight commander has the algo i think).
Alaskan
Hunter
Hunter

Post by Alaskan »

We need observers?
It is up to the whoever sets up the server. They can script in a shipless character if they feel it is needed.

[flame]
What the hell do you think we are programming here? This isn't a web server. GZip compression adds to the size. The compressability of the tiny little packet will be atmost 20%. The extra overhead needed by GZip takes up an entire message.

So you want to save 20% but add on 100%?
180% or 100%? Hmm, I'm going to stick with 100%. If you want compression, code it in yourself.

P.S. I'm not going to begin to explain how crap today was. Thanks for adding to it.
[/flame]

The best compression you are going to get, will be a dynamic change of base. Your modem already implements V4.2bis probably. If you for some reason have activiated it, you may even have software compression enabled. AND, SSH implements it's own compression. There, done.
2 133t for joo!!!

Post by Guest »

Yes stupid me! I forgot about ssh compression even though I use it set at level 9 every day! Sorry for the air-headed request. I'm in college now so I _should_ be thinking :-/
Thanks for the technical anwser btw, good to know such things for the future.
Alaskan wrote:We need observers?
It is up to the whoever sets up the server. They can script in a shipless character if they feel it is needed.

[flame]
What the hell do you think we are programming here? This isn't a web server. GZip compression adds to the size. The compressability of the tiny little packet will be atmost 20%. The extra overhead needed by GZip takes up an entire message.

So you want to save 20% but add on 100%?
180% or 100%? Hmm, I'm going to stick with 100%. If you want compression, code it in yourself.

P.S. I'm not going to begin to explain how crap today was. Thanks for adding to it.
[/flame]

The best compression you are going to get, will be a dynamic change of base. Your modem already implements V4.2bis probably. If you for some reason have activiated it, you may even have software compression enabled. AND, SSH implements it's own compression. There, done.

Post by Guest »

Was that genuine? Or sarcasm?

I have no idea.

Post by Guest »

Genuine. I should have though of that stuff before :-/
scheherazade
Developer
Developer

Post by scheherazade »

compression is useful if we transfer large atomic chunks of data.
these are NOT gameplay messages.
more like saves, etc.

the only gameplay related thing i can think of that could use compression is the initial-frame data whenjoining a server.
i.e. where all things are. it can be a sort of mini-save that's just about the current system that's transferred to the connecting client.
but even so, it would not be a particularly large chunk of data. more like something that would cause a 2-3 second lag for a modem when entering.

-scheherazade
towerstone
Just a tourist with a frag'd nav console
Just a tourist with a frag'd nav console

Post by towerstone »

I'd like a multiplayer function that works a little like natural selection and Battlefield. Thinking of coming up a little, getting a pretty large ship, If you have a friend who want to be the gunner of the ship, let him sit in a turret. I know, on a small fighter this may be boring, but I would really like being a gunner at some giant ship, also, it would be fun with hangar ships, and being allowed to be a fighter pilot in the fleet of a bigger ship. also, have one guy who has some kind of overview, like a 3D space strategy game.

I know it's not easy, but it would be cool. 8)
He, who claims the pen is the mightiest weapon in the world, has not seen my lightsabre
Fart_Plume
Merchant
Merchant

iff ident

Post by Fart_Plume »

use faction decals(ie. jolly roger) same decal tell the ai 1)friend 2)neutral(haven't fired on you yet 3)enemy

if #2 fires on you it switches them from neutral to hostile(you can never know one way or the other if you have never met them till they fire on you.