A new registration process and gameplay ?

A forum for online playing, administration, bugs and feature requests
ezee
Intrepid Venturer
Intrepid Venturer

A new registration process and gameplay ?

Post by ezee »

:!: Now that i have fixed my technical problems with the account server , i have time to
think about the MMO's experience , how it is designed now , and how it could be .

I don't really like the registration process as it is now :

_ You choose the faction you want
_ You choose the vessel you want
_ You have no information about the things you choose .

Bad ...

As we all have the same " money " when we enter the game for the first time , why not
change the registration process like this :

_ You have a fixed amount of money
_ You can browse all the factions , know their stories/goal , location .
_ You can browse the ships list , have textual information , pictures ( even videos ?) ,
with price . ( And for the balance , you won't be able to buy a monster ship and rule the
universe as soon you join the party ... )
_ You choose an avatar
_ You buy your ship and equipment
_ Register , you can now go to the forum to see what's going on , or jump in the game.

Other important point :

_ NO CHEAT ?
As everything is editable in vegastrike , if we plan to have a rpg like gameplay , with loot
as way of being more influent and rich , we'll have to prevent cheating .
( in this particular rpg mod i say )
Why spend hours to customize a character/ship , to die in minutes because a noob just
logged in with a killer vessel that he just received as welcome gift ?

Survive in the vega strike Universe should be a melting of strategy , role playing and
fast action game .
How to balance this values is an important question i think .

edit : i forgot to mention simulation as part of the gameplay ( even minimal :lol: )

Code: Select all

if (!track.HasWeapons())
            {
                // So what are you going to threaten me with? Exhaustion gas?
                return ThreatLevel::None;
            }
Vegastrike evolved
DEV YOUTUBE CHANNEL
Vegastrike evolved wiki
loki1950
The Shepherd

Re: A new registration process and gameplay ?

Post by loki1950 »

Yeah potential cheats will be a problem so maybe a copy of the client's save should be kept on the sever with a checksum or hash and compared with the client side save on log-in if that is to much for server side storage could the hash be enough :?:

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
ezee
Intrepid Venturer
Intrepid Venturer

Post by ezee »

loki1950 wrote:Yeah potential cheats will be a problem so maybe a copy of the client's save should be kept on the sever with a checksum or hash and compared with the client side save on log-in if that is to much for server side storage could the hash be enough :?:

Well , a copy of the client's save is already saved in the database .
But i don't know exactly what process is used actually to verify the player's saved data .

with a checksum or hash ...
checksum sound like a good idea , but i don't know actually how to code it .
I have made a little search , and there are some online algos .
As vegastrike uses internally hash tables , perhaps i will find there more information .

I have started to work with phpbb3 , and i will try to realize my ideas in that php context .
The design i have in mind is :

_ You register first for the forum access.
_ Once registered , you have access to a link in your control panel ,
to do the ingame registration ( link to the :8080 ).
I will then tweak the accntserver.py , register.py to use the phpbb_user name , but
register the md5 password in the vegastrike table .

This way , the user will have a phpbb valid user account and a valid vstrike account too.

if (!track.HasWeapons())
            {
            }
Vegastrike evolved
DEV YOUTUBE CHANNEL
Vegastrike evolved wiki
DarkVixen
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by DarkVixen »

Off the top of my head, invariably cheating will always become the goal of the cleaver player.

I think we need to reward the player more with interests and quality of interaction between (live) players. Who can win the most friends for example.

Another possibility is a fixed constant total for starship allocation upgrades. Meaning starships can have a fixed number of upgrades but the player can decide where to allocate each one.

For example, you can have a starship with a lot of weapons capacitance but minimal FTL capacitance. Or vice versa, but not both.
Eye~R
Hunter
Hunter

Post by Eye~R »

From what I can make out, players saved data is extracted from the DB on demand - w/o auth dets, editing the DB shouldn't be possible - I don't see a way a user could either inject their (edited)save data (on that note, I'm entirely unsure how it handles unexpected data, even if perfectly timed(unrealistic) it'd result in at least two conflicting copies) or convince the vegaserver to pull details from elsewhere(tho it's possibly quite possible) Ultimately, at every point sanitise the user input. Users are not to be trusted.

Things like ship stats etc I'm reasonably confident are per-spec of the ones on the server, So if a user selects the "Admonisher.Hspec" - it'll be the same "Admonisher.Hspec" any other user would get, regardless of what they do to their local system (I could be v. wrong about this) .

Greatest oppertunity for "cheating" is likely existant in the structure of things, like expiring a ship spawns a new one to your old (last saved)spec... This can be exploited in several ways... With better logging(ie: timestamps), something like fail2ban could be taught the patterns of such exploitation and could "police" the logs for suspect behaviour - Optionally banning outright or alerting admin for human investigation.

As for the "forum registration" - The same MySQL table can be recycled(is current plan, in "to-do" there's draft for such expansion) - the users login details they've generated for the server could also provide for forum access - also this would provide easy interface to allow user to adjust various parts of their profile, like contact details and "buddy lists" - Which would by design have instant in-game effects(worst case, on next load of profile)...

SImulation as part o the gameplay is quite essential, IMHO, and as such the social structure needs to intertwined with the economical structure... simulating a real universe, and not just the objects inside...

"As we all have the same " money " when we enter the game for the first time , why not
change the registration process like this :

_ You have a fixed amount of money
_ You can browse all the factions , know their stories/goal , location .
_ You can browse the ships list , have textual information , pictures ( even videos ?) ,
with price . ( And for the balance , you won't be able to buy a monster ship and rule the
universe as soon you join the party ... )
_ You choose an avatar
_ You buy your ship and equipment
_ Register , you can now go to the forum to see what's going on , or jump in the game."

I'm thinking factions shouldn't be a free-for-all - But structured, each being it's own contained society interacting in w/e way with the others. Ultimate control over should rest with a faction leader, or should some factions prefer, some sort of council... Acceptance into a faction shouldn't be assured, but selected(unless the leader/council elects for open acceptance) Default faction of "unadorned" - with standard option of sliding over to pirate - possibly enforced dependent of conditions. With options of levying a trade tax or embargo - or even discounts upon other factions, along with other techniques faction leaders could control relations with other factions, For ruining/losing their trade discounts, faction leaders/rulers would tend to keep their members in line. Just like real life. Initially, Faction leaders distributed on a "1'st come, 1'st served" basis, so any user being the first user in that faction becomes it's prime. until all factions are controlled - Defaulting to AI control over production when no human owner exists. Protocol would need to exist for account abandonment that results in leaderless factions.
The ships offered @ signup can then be supplemented with "faction produced" ships - Shipyards and fighter bases owned by a faction can produce ships to specified custom payloads, and be offered to members of faction at a discount, or as a replacement ship beyond the server-provided stock model when die/respawn. The production of a faction in this case would directly impact it's abillitiy to assault other factions, as the attack itself could expire stocks of ships and missiles. Could possibly implement "upgrades" to the resources, so upgrades to a gas mining station increases it's resource output - upgrades to a shipyard builds ships faster, with less waste and to higher spec... The difference in faction-specific models of ships and possible trade benefits could create desire to belong to a certain faction, but any faction-specific benefits applied (think each faction should have "per-faction" stats that reflect the native abilities of the faction - Like the luddites should take longer and produce more waste when producing high tech, but be excellent at producing hand crafted furniture) need consideration to overall balance.

The avatar is something I've also previously thought needs implementing... Need a selection for the user to choose from, and the option of using their own. I'm unsure what VS currently uses for the "vid comms" when talking to NPC's But it shouldn't be difficult to make it go in there? Animated or not... Unless it's a really obscure format, it should potentially work in the forum, too.

When it has a "proper site" I was considering the "about" or FAQ page could feature a detailed synopsis of Factions - Their history, their abilities, and their loose interaction states with other factions - Ideally filling itself out over time (possibly extractable from VS's "news" ? ) to retain accuracy over time, This could be linked back to other places as suitable...
Multiplayer Server Offline. Copy ony testing rig semi-funcitonal.
User Signup Offline.
Server Health Shows old data from last snapshot before the server downed.

If you have any issues you can usually find me in #vegastrike on freenode.
ezee
Intrepid Venturer
Intrepid Venturer

Post by ezee »

The avatar is something I've also previously thought needs implementing... Need a selection for the user to choose from, and the option of using their own. I'm unsure what VS currently uses for the "vid comms" when talking to NPC's But it shouldn't be difficult to make it go in there? Animated or not... Unless it's a really obscure format, it should potentially work in the forum, too.
Vegastrike can use a lot of different pictures format , using different methods .
I already know how is working the comms animations , with a minimum of 4 files .

For a static picture ( avatar ) , we could try to tweak the .py of the client menu , and
try to add a picture . From there , we'll modify the client class to hold ( and download )
this picture from the site .

One very cool feature would be to compose a 2d character via the web interface .
You know , change the color of the skin , the hairs , etc ...
I never look to that , but there must be good libs that help to achieve that .

All your ideas of gameplay are great , and should be sticked somewhere .
A lot of stuff could be achieved in php or python in the web server side .

So :
As for the "forum registration" - The same MySQL table can be recycled(is current plan, in "to-do" there's draft for such expansion) - the users login details they've generated for the server could also provide for forum access - also this would provide easy interface to allow user to adjust various parts of their profile, like contact details and "buddy lists" - Which would by design have instant in-game effects(worst case, on next load of profile)...
Yeah , you can say instant in-game , as the changes will occur in the database .
We'll perhaps have to send from the web socket interface a message to the server ,
to signal the new event and his type .
Actually , in the server loop :
//Server loop
while (keeprun) {
//int nb;

UpdateTime();
if (_Universe->numPlayers() > 0)
ExecuteDirector();
//Check a key press
//keyset.setReadAlwaysTrue( 0);
//this->checkKey( keyset);

//Check received communications
checkMsg( _sock_set );

About Webcam support :

It is not enabled/compiled by default :
class NetworkCommunication
{
private:
//Text message
std::deque< std::string >message_history; //Text message history
unsigned short max_messages; //Maximum number of text messages recorded
std::list< ClientPtr > commClients; //List of client communicating on the same frequency
CltPtrIterator webcamClient; //The client we are watching the webcam

char crypt_key[DESKEY_SIZE]; //Key used for encryption on secured channels
float min_freq, max_freq;
float freq; //Current communication frequency
bool active; //Tell wether the communication system is active
char secured; //Tell wether we are on a secured channel or not
unsigned char method; //Method used to spread comms
#ifdef NETCOMM_WEBCAM
//Webcam support
WebcamSupport *Webcam;
boost::shared_ptr< VsnetDownload::Client::Manager >_downloader;
boost::shared_ptr< VsnetDownload::Server::Manager >_downloadServer;
SocketSet _sock_set;
VsnetDownload::Client::Buffer *bufitem;
Will be interesting to test that feature too ... to doo ... doo :lol:

if (!track.HasWeapons())
            {
            }
Vegastrike evolved
DEV YOUTUBE CHANNEL
Vegastrike evolved wiki
Eye~R
Hunter
Hunter

Post by Eye~R »

ezee wrote:One very cool feature would be to compose a 2d character via the web interface .
You know , change the color of the skin , the hairs , etc ...
I never look to that , but there must be good libs that help to achieve that .
Many moons ago, I used to play a game, Transport Tycoon Deluxe, players could have an avatar and it was like a template poto-fit, handful of noses, eyes, ears - user didn't get to choose, but could "generate unique faces" - This game still lives on, as OpenTTD. As the name suggests it's open source, so the code for that should be usable or at least adjustable to suit purpose....
User Signup Offline.

ezee
Intrepid Venturer
Intrepid Venturer

Post by ezee »

nice , thank you !
:wink:

i have found that , in php/flash :
http://www.voki.com/pickup.php?scid=976 ... &width=300
from
http://www.voki.com/create.php

php can create flash animations and more with :
First of all: Ming is not an acronym. Ming is an open-source (LGPL) library which allows you to create SWF ("Flash") format movies. Ming supports almost all of Flash 4's features, including: shapes, gradients, bitmaps (pngs and jpegs), morphs ("shape tweens"), text, buttons, actions, sprites ("movie clips"), streaming mp3, and color transforms --the only thing that's missing is sound events.
examples :
http://www.gazbming.com/

other php graphics lib :
http://www.php.net/manual/en/ref.image.php
Last edited by ezee on Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

if (!track.HasWeapons())
            {
            }
Vegastrike evolved
DEV YOUTUBE CHANNEL
Vegastrike evolved wiki
ezee
Intrepid Venturer
Intrepid Venturer

Post by ezee »

The previous post was intended to give ideas for improving the web interface with 2d
effects and animations ( using flash )

I have found a web mesh viewer that is able to load .obj files ( format that mesher.exe ,
the converter tool that vegastrike actually uses , is able to produce ).
So an example here :
http://paulbourke.net/miscellaneous/are ... =Aphrodite
the scripts :
<!-- Other external scripts -->
<script type="text/javascript" src="js/jsc3d.js"></script>
http://paulbourke.net/miscellaneous/are ... s/jsc3d.js
<script type="text/javascript" src="js/myviewer.js"></script>
http://paulbourke.net/miscellaneous/are ... yviewer.js
<script type="text/javascript" src="js/models.js"></script>
http://paulbourke.net/miscellaneous/are ... /models.js
<script type="text/javascript" src="js/detect.js"></script>
http://paulbourke.net/miscellaneous/are ... /detect.js
That could be used for the ships visualization , in the registration page .
And even for 3d avatars ...

About Avatars and Players characters :
PLAYER CHARACTER DESIGN FACILITATING EMOTIONAL DEPTH IN MMORPGS
How can we create computer games facilitating emotional depth in the playing experience? When entering into a persistent virtual game world the player leaves the body behind. It is up to the game designer to create a virtual body with skills, needs and drives necessary for survival and pleasure in the game world.
full pdf -> http://www.digra.org/wp-content/uploads ... .50372.pdf

if (!track.HasWeapons())
            {
            }
Vegastrike evolved
DEV YOUTUBE CHANNEL
Vegastrike evolved wiki
ezee
Intrepid Venturer
Intrepid Venturer

Post by ezee »

:!: Customize a 3d character ( online ) with morph targets :
http://mrdoob.github.io/three.js/exampl ... gets_human

pretty cool , but the textures are not working on my browser ( chrome ) .

but the better is that it loads blender files :
http://mrdoob.github.io/three.js/exampl ... on_blender

if (!track.HasWeapons())
            {
            }
Vegastrike evolved
DEV YOUTUBE CHANNEL
Vegastrike evolved wiki
ezee
Intrepid Venturer
Intrepid Venturer

Post by ezee »

Definitively , i think webgl is the way for an extansion of Vega strike in a web site .
The three.js api is able to do a lot of things ( a lot ! ) , from render sprites to controled
character animation + collision detection , physics etc ...
little demo : http://stemkoski.github.io/Three.js/Mod ... ntrol.html

The most important is that Blender wavefront .obj export is already implemented in a lot of examples .
About three.js examples :
http://stemkoski.github.io/Three.js/#mo ... on-control
and three.js home site :
http://threejs.org/

So make a 3d station in blender , and render it in a browser with AI NPC and real players is aleady doable .
Things like have a private chamber in a space station could be done .
Or like the robert's space industries introduce them , " Hangars " :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=je_nclKf6Xw

The link with Vega strike would be the .csv files and xml that defines the state of the Universe .

8)
Last edited by ezee on Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

if (!track.HasWeapons())
            {
            }
Vegastrike evolved
DEV YOUTUBE CHANNEL
Vegastrike evolved wiki
ezee
Intrepid Venturer
Intrepid Venturer

Post by ezee »

I have downloaded the three.js library :
download zipball

The first most important thing for this project ( use vegastrike meshs in a browser) is the converter :
https://github.com/mrdoob/three.js/blob ... j_three.py

Yeah , it's a python module !
And it was designed with Blender as exporter :
FOR BLENDER USERS :

----------------------------------------------
How to get proper OBJ + MTL files with Blender
----------------------------------------------

0. Remove default cube (press DEL and ENTER)

1. Import / create model

2. Select all meshes (Select -> Select All by Type -> Mesh)

3. Export to OBJ (File -> Export -> Wavefront .obj)
- enable following options in exporter
Material Groups
Rotate X90
Apply Modifiers
High Quality Normals
Copy Images
Selection Only
Objects as OBJ Objects
UVs
Normals
Materials

- select empty folder
- give your exported file name with "obj" extension
- click on "Export OBJ" button

4. Your model is now all files in this folder (OBJ, MTL, number of images)
- this converter assumes all files staying in the same folder,
(OBJ / MTL files use relative paths)

- for WebGL, textures must be power of 2 sized
The workflow should be very simple , as this converter takes as parameter a .obj ,
the format that mesher.exe ( vs's native converter ) produce !
-------------------------
How to use this converter
-------------------------

python convert_obj_three.py -i infile.obj -o outfile.js [-m "morphfiles*.obj"] [-c "morphcolors*.obj"] [-a center|centerxz|top|bottom|none] [-s smooth|flat] [-t ascii|binary] [-d invert|normal] [-b] [-e]

Notes:
- flags
-i infile.obj input OBJ file
-o outfile.js output JS file
-m "morphfiles*.obj" morph OBJ files (can use wildcards, enclosed in quotes multiple patterns separate by space)
-c "morphcolors*.obj" morph colors OBJ files (can use wildcards, enclosed in quotes multiple patterns separate by space)
-a center|centerxz|top|bottom|none model alignment
-s smooth|flat smooth = export vertex normals, flat = no normals (face normals computed in loader)
-t ascii|binary export ascii or binary format (ascii has more features, binary just supports vertices, faces, normals, uvs and materials)
-d invert|normal invert transparency
-b bake material colors into face colors
-x 10.0 scale and truncate
-f 2 morph frame sampling step
And how to use it :
--------------------------------------------------
How to use generated JS file in your HTML document
--------------------------------------------------

<script type="text/javascript" src="Three.js"></script>

<script type="text/javascript">

// load ascii model

var jsonLoader = new THREE.JSONLoader();
jsonLoader.load( "Model_ascii.js", createScene );

// load binary model

var binLoader = new THREE.BinaryLoader();
binLoader.load( "Model_bin.js", createScene );

function createScene( geometry, materials ) {

var mesh = new THREE.Mesh( geometry, new THREE.MeshFaceMaterial( materials ) );

}

</script>

-------------------------------------

if (!track.HasWeapons())
            {
            }
Vegastrike evolved
DEV YOUTUBE CHANNEL
Vegastrike evolved wiki
ezee
Intrepid Venturer
Intrepid Venturer

Post by ezee »

:!: First demo of vega strike graphics in webgl format :
http://vegastrike.heliohost.org/

I plan to port the fleet , and use that kind of viewer for the registration page of the MMo.

if (!track.HasWeapons())
            {
            }
Vegastrike evolved
DEV YOUTUBE CHANNEL
Vegastrike evolved wiki
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Nice now to get the textures to load :wink:

my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
Eye~R
Hunter
Hunter

Post by Eye~R »

Um, myne has textures?

Cant for sho recall the relay sat, But various parts of it are different to the other in visual appearance, there's some logo on the side, too...
User Signup Offline.

loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Must be the lighting then as all that I could really see was a blackish model on a white background and rotating it did not give any indication of the texture details will give it an other look see 8)

ezee
Intrepid Venturer
Intrepid Venturer

Post by ezee »

Hey loki , what is your browser ?
The script is working good under mozilla and google chrome .
Don't know for the others , as it's just an early test .
( perhaps you need to enable javascript or something like that ? )

Thank you for the report ! -> same link http://vegastrike.heliohost.org/

if (!track.HasWeapons())
            {
            }
Vegastrike evolved
DEV YOUTUBE CHANNEL
Vegastrike evolved wiki
Eye~R
Hunter
Hunter

Post by Eye~R »

Behold!
Textured Relay Sattalite
Textured Aerus
Mayhaps your browser is defective?
User Signup Offline.

loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

I do see them both now it was just the dark textures that miss lead me using chrome on my fedora20 install BTW.

ezee
Intrepid Venturer
Intrepid Venturer

Post by ezee »

:!: Very cool update , the last DarkVixen's cockpit :
( only with materials , i need to convert jpg to png before having it textured ) :
http://vegastrike.heliohost.org/experim ... rapit.html
8)

if (!track.HasWeapons())
            {
            }
Vegastrike evolved
DEV YOUTUBE CHANNEL
Vegastrike evolved wiki
ezee
Intrepid Venturer
Intrepid Venturer

Post by ezee »

:!: Update with 50% of textures done .
The loading time is much more longer ...
http://vegastrike.heliohost.org/experim ... rapit.html

if (!track.HasWeapons())
            {
            }
Vegastrike evolved
DEV YOUTUBE CHANNEL
Vegastrike evolved wiki