My take on a VS MMO

A forum for online playing, administration, bugs and feature requests
Duality
Daredevil Venturer
Daredevil Venturer

My take on a VS MMO

Post by Duality »

First off it's been a very long time since I visited these message boards.
Maybe I was late when this forum section was created.
So I don't have the time to read other people's forums.

What I would like to see in a Vegastrike multiplayer the most is the ability for game hosters to configure their servers based on what play style the player wants.

1. Fly Cargo ships, and small cap ships.
2. Player created squads.
3. Fly all types of ships including the largest capital ship available. *
4. Hire AI Ships and fly with player. *
5. Player created colonies and fleets that can be commanded RTS style.

The Column numbers represent options, and Rows represent game modes.

Code: Select all

Modes  |1|2|3|4|5|PvP
1		|x|x| | | |FRNT
2		|x|x|x|x| |FT
3		|x|x|x|x|x|FT
Now the explanations about the modes.

1. This mode is for players who are flight sim jockeys who want to be in an open-ended space trading game with other players to interact with.
Player should be able to do what ever they want to be. Whatever it would be fighting for a nation, or being a pirate. This mode should also encourage flying in a fleet with players engaging in another fleet of players for different reasons. This mode limits on what ships the players can fly for combat balancing and game play mechanics reasons. This is not the mode where players can buy their way to supriority. It encourages player to player to player interaction, and player teamwork. The bottom line is, that the game universe must be slightly larger or similar to Freelancer so players will be able to see other players.

2. This one offers a little more freedom than just sticking with a small ship. This mode is for players who want to make the most money possible in order to buy the biggest ship with many AI wingman as possible. Basically this is a space race for this and it adds a little bit of action based RTS to it. Basically a sandbox type of what the Single player version of what VS offers now. This is for those who want to be fleet leaders in an AI fleet. Players can fly all types of ships including the largest capital ship.

3. This is for those who want to own big things, and want to be big leaders. Such as owning a colony, fleet with a little bit of RTS command. To a point where small fighter ships are used as a form of ammunition.

Now any of these game modes, AIs play the background part of filling up the universe and to be shot at.

As for PvP mode icons in the server listing:
F (Skull Icon) = Full PvP. Players can get shot at by other players anywhere for any reason. However, killing newbies should be discouraged.
R (Cross Swords Icon)= Restricted PvP. Players cannot shoot at other players in certain spots. Therefore, there are safezones.
N (Hapy Face Icon)= No PvP. Players cannot shoot at other players
T (One Sword Icon)= This PvP combat system is limited to team based. You can shoot at other players from other nations. Sort of like RvR.

Anything else I forgot to add in this post, will be added if I remember what it is.

I'll come back some other time to see how this game is going along.
Benison
Merchant
Merchant

Re: My take on a VS MMO

Post by Benison »

i totally like that idea!
at any rate, multiplayer needs some do-over.
the soledom reason this game isnt as popular as it should be, is the lack of a working mmo system.

i dont know about you guys, but i for my part am waiting for like 10(?) years, for a multiplayer-elite/-privateer style game(id prefer elite or even better an i-war style flightmodell, including some form of stardust or other means that provide a feeling for velocety wich VS needs real badly. with no stationary object nearby only your sensors tell you that your moving at all) to come out, only to be dissapointed by every new title.

black prophecy, letz just NOT talk about it plz. -.-
battlestar galactica online, even more "beta" than vs, and recently became expensive as heck.
evochron mercenary, fighters only :-/
starshatter, no mmo :(
star wars mmo, rebel assault spaceflight, yay
the list goes on and on...

and vegastrike with all its mods and customizability doesent provide a "working" network mode. *sigh*

i sure hope the devs will find the time to get the multiplayer part some loving.
wed need some sort of working party-system, ingamechat, friendslist & a who function etc...
and PLEASE make the online savegames remember high/low prices! :(

same as some gui improovements, like a key mapping menue(seriously, its a real PAIN to alter the by default poor keyboard layout, and most ppl wont give VS a shot if they have to spend an hour to get it to run properly(quite took me some time to figure out where to put my laptops 1366x768 res and aspect values)and a keyboard setup you can play with), less confusing upgrade screen and a shipyard including some eyecandy(i allways enjoyed to actually SEE the different guns or whatever mounted on my vessel in privateer, or if its just been this ONE missile on my asp-explorer or so, while browsing the upgrade menue).

if ppl would actually get into the game before the frontend drives them away, i bet there wouldnt be just this "one" server, even with the just rudimentary multiplayer support. ;o
with a solid mmo system however, id bet VS would actually be amoungst the top10 freeware games list.
its not like folx wouldnt wait for elite4 or ANY other working game of the genre that provides multiplayer and doesent somehow lack key elements.
travists
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Re: My take on a VS MMO

Post by travists »

So, you want to do a reboot on the MMO discussions, huh? I’m game. While the customization ability that Duality proposes should not be overlooked I just don’t see it. Instead of “safe zones” and “no attack servers” and all the rest, you have a more realistic approach. First of all there are various clans, guilds, etc. that you can join. These are whole factions and sub-factions. Second of all it uses a “renegade points” type system. Engaging in piracy or initiating hostilities without a valid mercenary contract gets you in trouble with law enforcement. Also I dislike the idea of “respawn”. Single player adventures it’s fine, and can’t be helped if you allow save game. In an MMO however, you die your dead period. You have to start all over as a green pilot. So, no respawn and attack anywhere how does a newbie get the experience without the frustration of dieing thousands of times? They start in a heavily patrolled friendly system. Being an enemy of the authorities here is a sure way to end up dead, and there is lots of help around for the unskilled. The high traffic and low risk also makes for low profits. Nearly every ship and device in the game should be able to be acquired by the player, but some require specific alliances, and others are insanely expensive. The player should be able to post and accept missions on an open BBS type setup. Including cargo, bounty, patrol, and wingman. And I also like the idea of starting your own guild.

So to recap, my list for MMO is
  • Open attacks
  • Joinable/creatable groups
  • SOS calls
  • “Criminal” acts cause players to be outlaws attacked by law enforcement wings and mercs
  • Varied risk/profit ratios
  • Postable missions
  • Wide open equipment and ships