A forum for online playing, administration, bugs and feature requests
Vegeta
Just a tourist with a frag'd nav console

vega trek multiplayer

Post by Vegeta »

for some reason, the vega trek mod client has no multiplayer option
the folders in vega trek are more or less modified
i want to make a trek online server for me and some friends, and the problem is that when i try to connect to the server, the screen with "choose ship" is not there, therefore the server gives back some errors about ships and factions that are not there
can i implement original vega strike multiplayer back into vega trek?
how can i do that?
or how can i bypass this problem, using for example the register site?
to choose a ship from there and the server to auto asign that ship to the given user

the server is on linux, compiled with no errors, and the client i use for testing is for windows
i manage to force client to connect to the server using this command:
<var name="force_client_connect" value="true"/>
, with the ip, port, and user allready set in the vegastrike.config
loki1950
The Shepherd

Re: vega trek multiplayer

Post by loki1950 »

Welcome Vegeta me again :wink: ace123 should be by to answer sometime soon i notice that he was active yesterday.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
Vegeta

Post by Vegeta »

is there any default mysql database structure for the accounts and other sql used by the server?
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

I'm not sure how far into this you have gotten so I'll start with a summary:

The way the server works is that there is "vegaserver" which hosts a set of systems and handles physics and network. Each vegaserver connects to a specific accountserver.
The clients also connect to accountserver, which has a list of all servers, and points the player to the correct server (ip address/port).

The accountserver is a CGI script that will check for permissions and store savegame files. It currently has two interfaces, a simple "file" database, which stores a separate file for each player. And a "mysql" database which hosts a table for each player. This accountserver can be found in "vegastrike/data/cgi-accountserver".

The accountserver has a file called "settings.sample.py", which you copy to settings.py and change the database settings. First thing you want to do is change the "dbconfig= file_dbconfig" to instead have "mysql_dbconfig"

Currently the mysql config requires two database tables:
'phpbb_users' which contains ('username', 'user_id', 'user_password')
And, 'accounts', which contains ('username', 'modname', 'csv', 'savegame', 'logged_in_server')

The phpbb_users thing was a simple hack to make it work with phpbb. You can change the names of the tables to your liking by looking at the "mysql_dbconfig" variable. But the column names are hardcoded in db.py. Also, user_password is a MD5sum.

If you want to allow users to create a new account upon their first visit to the "register.py" page and will permanently set the password for that account). Then change the "create_user" field to True. (otherwise, you need a separate page for account registration which is more complicated).

Also, you need a http server. If you don't want to deal with the complexity of setting up a http server, there is a "httpserver.py" that you can run with python, then go to "http://localhost:8080/cgi-bin/register.py" to register your account.

Sadly, it's not an easy process to set up a http accountserver. if you get stuck anywhere I should be able to help
Vegeta

Post by Vegeta »

the part with the mysql is all that i was asking for
thank you verry verry much
the other part, with the multyplayer menu, i belive with the help of the vega trek team and the new pach 0.5.0, i can do a trek server and hope you all can join and have fun

all the work you have done with vega strike is amazing considering it is a free project and no money are involved
i will post here the rest of my "not working trials" and hope you can help furder more
tnx again
Rosette Bravo
Atmospheric Pilot
Atmospheric Pilot

Post by Rosette Bravo »

No, I haven't see the server setup threads. Could you point me to them. A search came up empty. Thanks and I am enjoying the choice.
We provide guarantee to pass ccie wireless lab exam and high quality 640-461 icomm - pass-4sure and testkingmcdst demos. We provide updated security+ exam questions questions.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Hi Rosette are you setting up a public sever or just a Lan IIRC setting up a public one needs some kind of user access control module which is not part of the current sever code.Most of the variables in the server config file are fairly self explanatory in the LAN setup case. Besides I don't know of anyone has setup Vega Trek for multi-player yet the main VS data set yes even then play is very primitive.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
Eye~R
Hunter
Hunter

Post by Eye~R »

I've been meaning to play more with the ST mod, but hasn't. I assume you already have the multiplayer executable (vegaserver)? if so, which one(just curious if it's newer than mine, I had to steal mine from somewhere else as it wasn't in my repository for that system)?

The config adjustments required are loosely detailed: here There's possibly a better one somewhere, but it should about cover basics of what requires adjusting, where. I've had it working well with SQL, not particularly play with SSL of yet, I've a few more hiccoughs to worry of first. AFAIK the state of the multiplayer component is like a cutdown version of the single player, It works, I'm not sure of multiuser interaction and storylines. Various ship(those with turrets) cause issues, apparently, and attempts to purchase another ship tends to result in instant death/destruction. As-is, it'd suit multiplayer LAN-style deathmatch, but for full on MMO it needs some work.
Multiplayer Server Offline. Copy ony testing rig semi-funcitonal.
User Signup Offline.
Server Health Shows old data from last snapshot before the server downed.

If you have any issues you can usually find me in #vegastrike on freenode.