Online Account Creation Fails.

A forum for online playing, administration, bugs and feature requests
Leper
Insys Pilot
Insys Pilot

Online Account Creation Fails.

Post by Leper »

I want to play online with all ya'll, but I cannot.

I go here: http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/register.py, leave drop-down boxes as they are, add a username and password, and I get the following IO Error:

Code: Select all

--> -->

IOError	Python 2.4.3: /usr/bin/python
Sat Nov 8 06:06:12 2008

A problem occurred in a Python script. Here is the sequence of function calls leading up to the error, in the order they occurred.
 /home/groups/v/ve/vegastrike/cgi-bin/register_submit.py
   76                 mod = os.environ.get('QUERY_STRING','')
   77         conn = db.connect(settings.dbconfig, mod)
   78         if post_args:
   79                 execute(conn, mod, post_args)
execute = <function execute>, conn = <db.FileDB instance>, mod = '', post_args = {'faction': 'confed', 'password': 'itsnotworking', 'type': 'Llama.begin', 'username': 'Leper'}
 /home/groups/v/ve/vegastrike/cgi-bin/register_submit.py in execute(dbconn=<db.FileDB instance>, mod='', form={'faction': 'confed', 'password': 'itsnotworking', 'type': 'Llama.begin', 'username': 'Leper'})
   42                 type = dbconn.check_string( form.get("type",'') )
   44                 if not dbconn.check_password(username, password, True):
   45                         raise db.DBError,"Error password for username "+username+" does not match our records"
dbconn = <db.FileDB instance>, dbconn.check_password = <bound method FileDB.check_password of <db.FileDB instance>>, username = 'Leper', password = 'itsnotworking', builtin True = True
 /home/groups/v/ve/vegastrike/cgi-bin/db.py in check_password(self=<db.FileDB instance>, username='Leper', password='itsnotworking', can_create=True)
  228                 except IOError:
  229                         if self.create_user and can_create:
  230                                 f=open(self.user_path+username+".password","wb")
  231                                 f.write(self.hash_password(password))
  232                                 f.close()
f undefined, builtin open = <type 'file'>, self = <db.FileDB instance>, self.user_path = '/home/persistent/v/ve/vegastrike/accountserver/', username = 'Leper'

IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/home/persistent/v/ve/vegastrike/accountserver/Leper.password'
      args = (2, 'No such file or directory')
      errno = 2
      filename = '/home/persistent/v/ve/vegastrike/accountserver/Leper.password'
      strerror = 'No such file or directory' 
loki1950
The Shepherd

Re: Online Account Creation Fails.

Post by loki1950 »

Welcome Leper looks like the guys running the server are having some problems as they have not posted i have no idea as to there nature :( From your error snippet i see you are running in userland 8) i prefer that myself make hacking mush simpler :D Hopefully the server guys will post a status report.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
Invador_Zim
Atmospheric Pilot
Atmospheric Pilot

Post by Invador_Zim »

i am also having the same problem!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

It is still in very early alpha stage lots of bugs and not much functionality the single player is a much better experience.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

Just for fun I put the server back up on my desktop computer. If you can't connect, my computer may just be off, or the server may have crashed and decided to break into a debugger.

You must register at http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/register.py -- I recommend a Llama.begin as none of the ships come with guns or anything (and you don't exactly have a lot of money)
Note that as with the old server, your passwords are not encrypted in any way (they are only weakly hashed with MD5), and while I tried to make sure to **** it out most of the time, it is possible that some error messages contain your password. (see http://www.bash.org/?244321 )

The database is now hosted separately from the forum database, since that was too complicated to get working with the different hashing function they use. Also the sourceforge servers started using "Connection: keep-alive" without a Content-Length, which caused the game to hang until the HTTP server closed the connection 5-10 seconds later.
The solution was to make accountserver.py print out a "Content-Length" for every type of packet.

Unfortunately the server has not changed at all since last summer. However, www2 is working on a new version of the account server which should work much better.
So you can all give it a try for now from my cable connection
Captain{}Blood
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Captain{}Blood »

I am setting up a hosted server and I was wondering how to get the accounts to link to the server.
My Rig
EVGA 780 SLI
Intel Core 2 Quad 9450 clocked to 3.4 GHz
4 Gigs OCZ SLI DDr2 800 memory
2X EVGA NVidia 8800 GT OC 512 SLi
ABS 800 watt modular supply
All stuffed into a Lian Li A05 case