Cap shi purchase idea

Forum for discussing various mods for the VS-engine based upon Privateer. (Please play nice now, and extinguish all flaming materials.
Sincerely, The Management)
Psyco Diver 69
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Cap shi purchase idea

Post by Psyco Diver 69 »

I was thinking about the cap ship stuff and I was thinking instead of making it ultra rare to find out why not have the one chance to purchase them and them double or triple the price of them afterwards and make it so you can purchase them in certain spots like perry, new detroit, ect while making them like a 1 in 10 chance of them even being there. These are just some random late night thinking though
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

I'm currently working on something similar... I'd prefer not to touch Mamiya's ship distribution system, I'd furthermore like to add a second chance to get those capships via a sidecampaign.

I could make Burrows meet a friend of Governor Menesch, who is known for selling confederate ships to rogue groups. He is someone who wants to make the big bucks with confederate capships (Paradigms), but this is something the Feds won't tolerate. So the player has the choice to either help the feds to stop this guy and get a good bounty for that, or to help the guy and have a base where he can get those capships as a reward.

For the Kamekh, I have another campaign in mind, and therefor would like to invite the one or other artworker who could help me creating a good kilrathi carrier interior - nothing fancy, a similar res like the PR inbase images would be enough in first case.
zbyszanna
Hunter
Hunter

Post by zbyszanna »

Hi!
In my opinion allowing players to obtain ship like Paradigm in the game via purchase is not very sensible. No man should be able to buy such ship if he is not affiliated with the military. There was once an idea to allow players choose their career path and so allow them to become captain of such ship.
For me there are three sensible choices:
1. career solution (distant future as I imagine).
2. allow player to buy similar ship legally, but give it large restriction (this is the weakest option). Restrictions like horrendous maintain costs (crew, fuel), should not be able to land etc. Otherwise such ships will be just silly.
3. resignation from sensibility. Let's make them available after the plot finishes (or even earlier) in the distant corner of the universe gathered in one place. Let them be not very expensive even - goal of their existence would be ability to feel the joy of piloting them. For me it is the best option at the moment.
Melonhead
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Melonhead »

I could see one other use for capital ships--also a long way off in development, but...

You could create a sub-campaign leaving hints about an abandoned/derelict ship, somewhere very far away. Once located, it would require the player to haul huge amounts of repair droids, materials, etc. to repair the ship. In turn, the player would have to go make a lot of money in order to buy the parts.

This could be a "post-winning" campaign. The problem with finishing all the current campaigns is...what do you do with your money? You already have a fully decked out ship; you probably have a nice fleet, you can kick anyone's but in the universe, and there's no Wing Commander stock market for you to start a retirement account.

An interesting problem would be--are you allowed to fly it anywhere, or do you have to keep it hidden, so the Confeds don't take it back? Leads me to an idea for a follow-on campaign to find and help (i.e. bribe) the correct people to give you clear title to the ship. In the meantime, it still requires a lot of money for maintenance, but could be really handy as a warehouse, hiding place, etc.
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

Nice approach, and welcome back.

Technically, sending parts to this ship would be realizable via cargo missions, but I guess you want the player to collect em from commodities. That's the main prob atm.
Psyco Diver 69
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Psyco Diver 69 »

Plus you would have to defend your secret ship from other enemys like pirates or retros
Neskiairti
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Neskiairti »

it should be some sort of alien capital ship though :P totally decked out.. (once your finished) with ungodly powerful weaponry so its just a turtle with ten machine guns, dual howitzers and some torpedo tubes.. yum yum
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

That might be hard to incorporate into the WC universe there are fanatics about that diss anything non canon :wink:

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
Neskiairti
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Neskiairti »

psh.. there is pleanty of room for strange alien tech :P and a derelict ship floating for a thousand years through the black till you happen across it...

its after the game anyhow.. give you something go go back to the beginning areas and wipe the floor with everything in sight.. just for kicks
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

Seriously, wouldn't that be boring? We have the steltek ships, superior in any way, and you guys even want a cap ship beating this all?
Neskiairti
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Neskiairti »

personally.. i havnt been able to get very far in it :P first time i played it, horrid computer and had no computer time.. second time.. had all kinds of bugs that i ran in to left and right.. i havnt bothered picking it up a third time yet.. mainly cause im trying to do other things lately and got sucked in to Dwarf Fortress..