Any ETA on new PU release

Forum for discussing various mods for the VS-engine based upon Privateer. (Please play nice now, and extinguish all flaming materials.
Sincerely, The Management)
S1Genocide
Trader
Trader

Post by S1Genocide »

Normally I wouldn't ask because I know the answer is: When its done. But it has been a couple months so far and you guys seemed so close to a release the last time I was here.

Also if the answer is when its done, Can you can post info on the new version like: Whats the new Drayman going to be like? Are you including the Drayman Wc1 WIP? How is the Rapier going? What are the newest release features? Ect.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

I know; we seemed pretty close a month ago, then z30 got pretty tangled up with RL, I got too busy with the new site, wcpedia.com, Dilloh is still around but I've no idea what he's up to, Kangaroo disappeared again... But Dual Joe is finishing up the new Galaxy model, so at least something IS happening. In any case, PU has a new site (check my signature). The bad news is that our server is down (since yesterday). Ever since we installed SSL, Apache can't restart automatically; one has to go through SSH and start it manually, so any reboot or glitch results in Apache not running. I had instructions from Nphillips how to restart Apache, but I can't get past the PuTTY login screen; so I'm waiting for Nphillips to show up and fix it, or tell me again how to do it.
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

it has been a couple months so far and you guys seemed so close to a release the last time I was here.
Some things have changed since that time, our ToDo-list has enlarged a bit... the next release is going to be bigger and better than expected. However I don't think it's a good idea to let years pass by for it, so I'm seriously considering doing some of z30's work during his absence - for the sake of a new release :wink:
Can you can post info on the new version
We always had a file called changelog.txt so far... but we also can repost the information.
Dilloh is still around but I've no idea what he's up to
I used my limited spare time to work on more campaigns so far.
micheal_andreas_stahl
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by micheal_andreas_stahl »

Dilloh wrote:We always had a file called changelog.txt so far... but we also can repost the information.
Hmmm... Any modeling needed???
"The bullets come out of the slim end, mate!"

Sniper after dominating another Sniper
Team Fortress 2
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

MAS, you should start with something simple, at the beginning. Privateer's Tarsus scoutship would be a lot of work, but it has no inherently difficult aspects; --just boxes and pipes...
The last two images there are from the manual and are "more orthogonal" than the others; so you'd use those as a reference background in Blender.

But I'd start even simpler than that, like the cargo boxes that float in space after a ship gets blown up; I haven't put up wiki pages for them, but I can do so shortly.

BTW, the wcjunction.com server is up and running again.
Psyco Diver 69
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Psyco Diver 69 »

Any chance that bigger and better release to contain a online set up or are you all waiting for vegastrike to work out the bugs first?
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

Spiritplumber had a WC server set up a year ago...

Really maturity shouldn't matter too much... hopefully most client-side bugs will be fixed by the time you release, and the server can keep being updated afterwards.

The main reason not to have a server is if no one is able to host it.
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

Not sure what bugs you're talking about... those inherited by the VS/PR1.2 release or those which came with PU.

Concerning PU, we're well aware of what the current problems are and how they can be solved. First of all, we'll get rid of the setup.bat thing... It saved a lot of memory, but caused more trouble than expected. Second, we'll check out units.csv for character sensitivity problems or wrong allocations.
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

I didn't mean PU-specific bugs...

I was answering his question about multiplayer support... and I meant to say that by the time you guys release many of the engine-side multiplayer bugs should be fixed.
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

ace123 wrote:I didn't mean PU-specific bugs...
Oops sorry... I also answered Psycho Diver 69's question... a misunderstanding, should have quoted him :wink:
I meant to say that by the time you guys release many of the engine-side multiplayer bugs should be fixed.
Talking about multiplayer, are JackS and you currently working on that? I mean, I know WCU-multi kinda was spirit's baby and I am curious if she's working on that behind the scenes; or if you're going to make multiplayer a SVN engine feature and therefor available for all mods and sub-mods which would like to have it in?
Lopaka79
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Lopaka79 »

I keep reading so many awesome things and I'm just dyN to fly the next release. Only wish I had some the programing sense / experience so I could lend a hand. I cant even figure out how to properly mod textures. Ms paint and the guessing game is as far as i go rofl :lol:
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

I can only speak for myself here, but this is exactly how I started all of this. MS-Paint and the game. I began with making HUD images for the PU ships. No programming skills, no experience with the system. My RL profession has nothing to do with IT.

VegaStrike is easy to mod, and it is easy to learn about it by trial-and-error. Just look at my join date, that's when I started off.