High Rez Patch for the Gemini release & other things

Forum for discussing various mods for the VS-engine based upon Privateer. (Please play nice now, and extinguish all flaming materials.
Sincerely, The Management)
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

High Rez Patch for the Gemini release & other things

Post by hellcatv »

I know this isn't exactly the fanbase for John's gemini gold mod, but I wrote a little patch that enabled all resolutions on windows, so we aren't stuck with the artificial 800x600 resolution limit that's in the release...

http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/users ... ighrez.exe
Last edited by hellcatv on Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vega Strike Lead Developer
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/
charlieg
Elite Mercenary
Elite Mercenary

Post by charlieg »

I must agree that putting down PGG is the preverbial cutting off our nose to spite our face. At the end of the day PGG is probably the best example of the VS engine in practise since it is both polished, relatively compact in scope, and easy to install.

The same can not be said of any other relatively recent VS stuff.
Free Gamer - free software games compendium and commentary!
FreeGameDev forum - open source game development community
z30
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Re: High Rez Patch for the Gemini release & other things

Post by z30 »

hellcatv wrote:I know this isn't exactly the fanbase for John's gemini gold mod, but I wrote a little patch that enabled all resolutions on windows, so we aren't stuck with the artificial 800x600 resolution limit that's in the release...

http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/users ... ighrez.exe

I think it'd be a good idea to try to vote up john's slashdot story and digg john's digg posts to try to get more users and developers into the vegastrike community

http://digg.com/pc_games/Privateer_Gemi ... 2_Released
and
http://slashdot.org/firehose.pl?op=view&id=197067
Ok Hellcat, I voted for the sake of Vegastrike - we'll put aside our rivalry for the moment.

Guys, vote - and ignore the adolescent comment above. If it benefits VS, it benefits our mod as well.
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

cool z30 :-)
micheal_andreas_stahl
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by micheal_andreas_stahl »

I will think it through first and read the thread hrough a couple more time.
"The bullets come out of the slim end, mate!"

Sniper after dominating another Sniper
Team Fortress 2
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

Now that that release is out, I was wondering if anyone here was planning on modding the release to suit some of the PU and PR goals? i.e. making multiple ships available again, etc...because I think that'd be a fantastic next step on the road to a more complete privateer universe... (of course you guys shouldn't limit yourself to that)
Let me know if you need any assistance as always :-)
Sunfire
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Sunfire »

hellcatv wrote:Now that that release is out, I was wondering if anyone here was planning on modding the release to suit some of the PU and PR goals? i.e. making multiple ships available again, etc...because I think that'd be a fantastic next step on the road to a more complete privateer universe... (of course you guys shouldn't limit yourself to that)
Let me know if you need any assistance as always :-)
well... question... does the GG team want GG to be modded? not that im modding anything...(more like forum lurker :wink: ) but it wouldnt be very nice to take their hard work and make a mod without their permission...
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

Within the GG forum, John wrote:Since the forum is flooded by posts about mods that do not belong to us i would appreciate it, if no further offtopic stuff is posted.
I'd think modding GG would require to do it outside of the GG forums, which wouldn't make too much sense for nobody would find us.
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

I'm sure there's no problem modding other mods...I mean these are all efforts to make the games more fun--if folks didn't allow modding of each others mods, then creativity would be lost :-)

and then the improved content can be pulled back into the primary mod--that's what Open Source is all about
S1Genocide
Trader
Trader

Post by S1Genocide »

Heres my easier mod for GG with the AI Turrets enabled it includes Hellcats cargo expansion fix.

I take credit for nothing. Its just for newbies who can't play the game as is.
http://wcuniverse.sourceforge.net/privg ... &topic=415

for new commodity_lib.py and computer_lib.py
backup and replace the ones in your bases/ dir

modded vegastrike.config goes into
C:Program Files\Games\Privateer
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Zool
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Zool »

I had opportunity to visit a mates place yesterday to use his broadband connection and I downloaded GG, Vega Strike and WCU to see what they are like......very nice guys. (A acouple of small things in GG though. Hellcat where can I send minor bugs in GG102)

Sorry my PU friends, :oops:, I needed something to play while waiting for the new mods to test, and I've been hearing quite a bit about it.

Hellcat and S1Genocide, thanks for these two files fellas, I'm sure they'll help.
Time is an Illusion..............Lunchtime doubly so!! -Ford Prefect-
Check out Privateer themed goodies!
http://www.cafepress.com/soulfulngifted/2889859
z30
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by z30 »

Zool wrote:I had opportunity to visit a mates place yesterday to use his broadband connection and I downloaded GG, Vega Strike and WCU to see what they are like......very nice guys. (A acouple of small things in GG though. Hellcat where can I send minor bugs in GG102)

Sorry my PU friends, :oops:, I needed something to play while waiting for the new mods to test, and I've been hearing quite a bit about it.

Hellcat and S1Genocide, thanks for these two files fellas, I'm sure they'll help.
Nothing wrong with testing or trying it out, I tried to download it myself but you need a really fast consistent connection.
Zool
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Zool »

OK, there seems to be a problem with one or both of the two patches listed here. I installed them both and then ran the game. All I got was a black window with a white missile on it and a cryptic error about "not finding rooms".

Also having probs with the ITTS working properly.
Time is an Illusion..............Lunchtime doubly so!! -Ford Prefect-
Check out Privateer themed goodies!
http://www.cafepress.com/soulfulngifted/2889859
OnyxPaladin
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by OnyxPaladin »

Zool wrote:Sorry my PU friends, :oops:, I needed something to play while waiting for the new mods to test, and I've been hearing quite a bit about it.
Doesn't bother me, oh wait..i'm not your friend.

Hehe...
For every ounce of courage, every drope of hope..
A gallon of blood paid in advance...
John Cordell
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by John Cordell »

Dilloh wrote:
Within the GG forum, John wrote:Since the forum is flooded by posts about mods that do not belong to us i would appreciate it, if no further offtopic stuff is posted.
I'd think modding GG would require to do it outside of the GG forums, which wouldn't make too much sense for nobody would find us.
Well, you can post mods for Privateer Gemini Gold within the GG forum like other people already do. "That do not belong to us" just means that the forum is for Gemini Gold related stuff only.
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

So a question, if we'd decide to convert PU to GG, hypothetically speaking, would this mod be welcome within the GG forum? I'm wondering if it would be worth a poll here, or better within the GG forum, also hypothetically speaking.
S1Genocide
Trader
Trader

Post by S1Genocide »

Dilloh wrote:So a question, if we'd decide to convert PU to GG, hypothetically speaking, would this mod be welcome within the GG forum? I'm wondering if it would be worth a poll here, or better within the GG forum, also hypothetically speaking.
Well I'm all for that so If you do it at least send a copy my way. :wink:
S1Genocide
Trader
Trader

Post by S1Genocide »

Zool wrote:OK, there seems to be a problem with one or both of the two patches listed here. I installed them both and then ran the game. All I got was a black window with a white missile on it and a cryptic error about "not finding rooms".

Also having probs with the ITTS working properly.
I read what you wrote in the other forum. Choose a lower resolution the game wasn't meant to run in the highest one selectable c'mon now use common sense and the ITTs is a bug with normal GG 1.02
John Cordell
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by John Cordell »

Dilloh wrote:So a question, if we'd decide to convert PU to GG, hypothetically speaking, would this mod be welcome within the GG forum? I'm wondering if it would be worth a poll here, or better within the GG forum, also hypothetically speaking.
If PU would work with Gemini Gold it would be just another mod and so also welcome to the board.
Privateer Gemini Gold
privateer.sourceforge.net
micheal_andreas_stahl
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by micheal_andreas_stahl »

Yet GG is ment to stay mod free.
"The bullets come out of the slim end, mate!"

Sniper after dominating another Sniper
Team Fortress 2
hurleybird
Elite
Elite

Post by hurleybird »

The core GG game is meant to emulate the original privateer's gameplay as closely as possible, but that doesn't mean that modding the game to one's tastes is frowned upon.
z30
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by z30 »

The new PU base mod is in the works and will be available to anyone who want's to build their own mission set on it. Unless GG made major changes to the directory structure, it should work on that foundation.

With the new base mod, I'll provide a list of enhancements and will post commentaries here on why specific settings were changed.

John, it's up to the GG crew to decide which changes are acceptable - we're willing to give advice on how to resolve issues which come up based on our PR mod experience.

We're too currently stretched right now to adapt it to GG, it's all we can handle right now to come up with a new PU release.