Beta Testers Wanted!

Forum for discussing various mods for the VS-engine based upon Privateer. (Please play nice now, and extinguish all flaming materials.
Sincerely, The Management)
John Cordell
Mercenary
Mercenary

Beta Testers Wanted!

Post by John Cordell »

Beta Testers Wanted!

The Privateer Gemini Gold team is currently preparing its second major release version 1.02, therefore a beta test is necessary to find hidden bugs and gameplay problems. If you want to help test the game, please write us an email to priv@solsector.net.

Note: Gemini Gold differs from the Remake in project goals and project progress. The Remake was publically not further developed since 1.2 (2005) in comparison to Gemini Gold.
Last edited by John Cordell on Sat Jun 09, 2007 2:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Privateer Gemini Gold
privateer.sourceforge.net
micheal_andreas_stahl
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by micheal_andreas_stahl »

And your coming to PR?Image

Sure, some people will turn up. But please, next time don't make it sound like your trying to steal members! Image

I will go.

Andy
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

I will go.
Traitor!!! :wink: Just kidding.
I see no problem with announcements for GG, since John was the major developer of PR. But I think making the topic sticky is a bit exaggerated, don't you think?

However, we could transform this topic into a general beta testing issue...
Draken Stark
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Draken Stark »

lol Well, as I said before I think both forums are really part of the same community as it's all a branch of the same project of reproducing Privateer. It is a little overshadowing with having this as a sticky, but remember the beta from GG is a beta for us too :wink:
/v\4¥ 7|-|3 1337 |33 vv17|-| j00!
If you can't read it, it's obviously not.
Shissui
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Shissui »

Personally I agree that it is a bit much to "sticky" this thread as, while relevant to the people that read/post here, it is not actually "Privateer Remake". Besides, it really does not need to be stickied -- by the time it drops to any depth on the forum page, beta testers will no longer be needed.

I am willing to test John's beta -- Mac test sites are probably a bit harder to come by.

. . . but I would appreciate it if John Cordell would "un-sticky" this thread. That would be much friendlier than if we had one of our own moderators do it.
I want to live in Theory. Everything works in Theory.
Shissui
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Shissui »

Not mentioned by John Cordell --
The new beta of Gemini Gold does not support Linux, Unix or Mac.
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

Does not, or does not yet?

I'm beginning to wonder how deep the code changes are.

Since PR and PU still are both compatible to all those platforms, at least those users will stick to us :wink:
Shissui
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Shissui »

In email reply to me, Gemini Gold wrote:thanks for your interest.
The beta is for windows systems only.

The remake/mods will use Gemini Gold's code in future versions, so it
needs to be carefully tested. Therefore the remake folks are invited
as well to help test the game.
I read the first paragraph as a very clear statement that they do not currently want unix, linux and Mac users.

The second paragraph seems a bit odd to me -- suggesting that they know more about our development plans than I was aware of. If there seriously *is* a plan for PR to abandon the VS engine for one that runs only on Windoze, then you can count me out of this project.
(Fortunately, I consider this allegation improbable; but I would appreciate it explicitly refuted.)

However, it would explain the sticky.
AzureSky
Merchant
Merchant

Post by AzureSky »

You could run the beta on Linux or Mac if you wanted, but you would have to compile the binaries from the vegastrike SVN yourself.
micheal_andreas_stahl
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

We are going to abandon the VS Engine??? :(
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Actually an updated VS engine micheal.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

I am able to run privateer gold perfectly fine with the official SVN vegastrike binary. There are no weird modifications in Privateer gold that require a special binary.

Also there would be no point... since Vegsatrike is GPL, it would only complicate things to use a separate binary rather than contribute required changes back.

I believe the only reason John Cordell did not want to spend time to compile a version on multiple operating systems just for a beta release.

So basically, there are no conspiracies to worry about yet...
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

I don't think that there are conspiracies, but concerning mod developements:
John Cordell wrote:The remake/mods will use Gemini Gold's code in future versions
If the mod community would have decided to port their work to GG code, I would definetively know...

Although I think this might come in the future!
micheal_andreas_stahl
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Hmmm, so it's still Vega Strike?
John Cordell
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by John Cordell »

Privateer Gemini Gold uses of course the vegastrike engine. There will also be versions for OSX and Linux when the final release is ready.

The betatest should make sure that changes to the binary and general codebase during the last year do not cause any problems. This affects both of our projects Privateer Remake and Gemini Gold because they share their code base, therefore anyone who has time to help is invited to test the newest version available and make suggestions.
Privateer Gemini Gold
privateer.sourceforge.net
mkruer
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by mkruer »

The sticky stays. John has had a long history here, and is very professional and very well respected by VS as a whole. The bulk of the current Remake can be directly attribute to him and his team. For that he has the right to announce an open beta for Gemini Gold. He of all people will remove it when the beta is over. Also he has always back ported GG improvements into VS, I don't see how this is any different.

The bulk of the issue I think stems from lack of communication. Just because some people can spend most of their off time here does not mean we all can. If you have a question or concern post it and wait for a reply. DO NOT just take action just because you don’t think it right. (of course there are some exceptions to the rule, mainly in spam and abusive [flaming] posts), but for the majority, take the time and talk to each other.

If both parties are unable to resolve the issue, someone higher up so there is a third-party involved. That’s what the admins are here for among other things.

I am locking this thread. I believe everything has been answered and cleared up. If not PM and I will answer any additional questions.
I know you believe you understand what you think I said.
But I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Wing Commander Universe Forum | Wiki
Wing Commander: The Wasteland Incident