A bug in parallel universe? Help me please

Forum for discussing various mods for the VS-engine based upon Privateer. (Please play nice now, and extinguish all flaming materials.
Sincerely, The Management)
random_guy
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

A bug in parallel universe? Help me please

Post by random_guy »

Apologies if this has been addressed before, I did a search but couldn't find anything.

Here's the problem: I found out about the Parallel Universe Mod and wanted to use it, so I copy/pasted my privateer remake files into a new directory and unzipped the .rar to the new directory.

But I didn't want to start a new game (this is my first time through privateer), so I loaded my old game from PR. The problem is, now I don't seem to get any random encounters with enemies. Friendly ships show up but not enemies. I've even done two dangerous run cargo missions, but still no enemies. FYI, the factions I am currently enemies with are pirates and retros.

If I do a bounty mission, enemies seem to show up, but otherwise nothing. Has anyone encountered this bug before, and is there any way to fix it other than starting a new game or going back to playing the vanilla privateer remake?

editAlso: Am I right in thinking that doing missions for one guild affects your pay for the other? I was getting missions for 40-60G+ at the Merchants' guild, and 10-15G at the mercenaries' guild. Now after adding a fully-loaded Centurion to my fleet and doing a couple of mercenary missions, the merchant's guild only seems to be paying me 20-30G for their missions, and the mercenarys' guild doesn't seem to be paying much better easer :( (about 5G more).
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

Never heard of this before- I'd recommend to use the newest PU available, available in the link below in my signature. It has only few downloads by now, but no bug reports yet. I'm not too familiar with any PU version before 1.1b6, but I assume those versions had many many bugs.

Also, copying and pasting the PR installation into a new folder seems no good idea to me - I don't know if there are any registry entries or if the game bin creates folder entries where it looks up the spawning or anything else. Better backup and say goodbye to your stock PR and overwrite your original folder with PU which is meant to be a cut-and-paste-addon. If you have problems with that, you can easily restore the original PR via restoring the original files.

Cargo mission payoffs depend on the available cargo space. Since a Tarsus has 100 and a Centurion only 50, the mission cargo amount as well as the payoff are decreased by 50%.

Merc missions seem to depend on your guns or equipment. It only affects the armament of your foes than, not their quantity. Naturally, the payoff will not increase too much then.
random_guy
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by random_guy »

Dilloh wrote:Never heard of this before- I'd recommend to use the newest PU available,
Thanks, downloading now.
Also, copying and pasting the PR installation into a new folder seems no good idea to me
Well I have Vegastrike and PR installed, and that doesn't seem to be a problem. Still, I have tried installing PR through the installer into a new PU folder, to see if that helps.
Cargo mission payoffs depend on the available cargo space. Since a Tarsus has 100 and a Centurion only 50, the mission cargo amount as well as the payoff are decreased by 50%.
I noticed that, once I switched back into my Galaxy. It doesn't seem to reset straight away, as I was still getting the reduced prices after several planet-hops. It was only after I did a cut-rate cargo mission that the prices switched back to normal. Still, maybe i was just unlucky during my planet-hops.
Merc missions seem to depend on your guns or equipment. It only affects the armament of your foes than, not their quantity. Naturally, the payoff will not increase too much then.
Really? What's the usual maximum payoff for, say, a bounty mission then?

EDIT:After installing through the installer and using the latest version, I get random encounters again, but if I try to select the new ships at Percy the program crashes intermittently. I guess I'll just have to play through the game using the original PR the first time (I've come too far to start again now).
micheal_andreas_stahl
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by micheal_andreas_stahl »

Have you tryed reinstalling PR?
"The bullets come out of the slim end, mate!"

Sniper after dominating another Sniper
Team Fortress 2
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

You need to install PR first and overwrite it with Parallel Universe afterwards, not the other way around. This is important... PU is the addon, so it comes last.
random_guy
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by random_guy »

Dilloh wrote:You need to install PR first and overwrite it with Parallel Universe afterwards, not the other way around. This is important... PU is the addon, so it comes last.
Yeah, I did that. For all I know it works fine, IF I start a new game.

While I've got you here, I'm playing through the bonus campaign now. I know one branch lets you buy kilrathi ships, and I want to do that one. I'm up to the

SPOILER

mission where I either have to transport the politician or blow him up. Which one should I choose to get on the right path, or doesn't it matter yet, or is it already too late?
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

Strange, I normally don't have to start a new game when I install a mod. However.

About the campaign: I'm not sure, but don't stick to the AWACS / communists. When you encounter Soren, you're on the right way.
micheal_andreas_stahl
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

If you have been given the mission by the confed to transport the polli then you are on the wrong track. To meet soren you would have played along with Saryi and NOT dumped the drug in J600 instead going on to Saryi in the pleasure planet. she would have given you several mission before sending you on to Soren.

Also did you defend the Trood transport OR destroy it?

Team Fortress 2
random_guy
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by random_guy »

micheal_andreas_stahl wrote:If you have been given the mission by the confed to transport the polli then you are on the wrong track. To meet soren you would have played along with Saryi and NOT dumped the drug in J600 instead going on to Saryi in the pleasure planet. she would have given you several mission before sending you on to Soren.
Damn. Do you get anything at all for finishing any of the remaining tracks?
Also did you defend the Trood transport OR destroy it?
Which mission is this? I'm up to the bit where the revolutionaries have first contacted me. If that's the mission you're talking about, I haven't done it yet. If you mean the episode where the drayman's carrying f&o to the pirate base, I blew it up. I can't think of any other missions I've done that fit the bill.
micheal_andreas_stahl
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

If you dumped the drugs you are given a mission to destroy the F&O ship. then a mission to protect the troop ship.

With the pirates its a lilittle different.
Dump drugs, transport F&O, destroy troop ship. then your on to Soren. And the AWACS.

Team Fortress 2
random_guy
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by random_guy »

micheal_andreas_stahl wrote:If you dumped the drugs you are given a mission to destroy the F&O ship. then a mission to protect the troop ship.

With the pirates its a lilittle different.
Dump drugs, transport F&O, destroy troop ship. then your on to Soren. And the AWACS.
I see what you mean now. I defended the stiletto. I've started doing the AWACS missions via killing the politician, but it occurred to me that it could potentially make the game all but impossible for me (If I'm right in my assumptions, every faction would hate me but the AWACS). I'm already finding it hard enough having to take out 6-8 kilrathi on a standard voyage, and the demons are far too hard for me to cope with. Any mission where the demons are attacking something else and not me is an automatic fail, until I replace them with talons or something temporarily through the units.csv files. As I'm sure you've heard 1000 times, they're just too fast, too small, and too hard to hit.)

What kind of negative consequences can I expect going this path? Will the 20 kilrathi I have to take out before breakfast make up for it?

PS: thanks for answering my questions. Someone needs to make a walkthrough about the bonus missions. I'd do it myself, but I suck at this game. When I replaced the swarm of demons with talons at Palan 3, I still found it quite difficult (I think because they still seemed to have the weapons of the demons.)
edit: No wonder I've been having so much trouble, I didn't realise you had to lock on with 'l' in order for the auto-tracking to work. That's what I get for letting my mind wander when I read the manual, I guess.

With auto-tracking, I just killed a bunch of demons in the first AWUCS mission. I died eventually, of course, but I got much further. I think I actually stand a chance at this and maybe palan 1, now that I know about this.
EDIT THE SECOND: Ok, I did all the revolution missions until she told me to come back later, then I clicked on her again, and the next mission was surprisingly similar to the first. Bring a new revolution to a new system, etc... How many times am I supposed to do the same missions? Does this campaign stream end, or not until you have all the planets under commie control? If so, what happens then?
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

Even the AWACS campaign will eventually end. At least I read so. Myself, I didn't have the nerves to bring it to an end.

However, who cares for flying kilrathi fighters? The kamekh is no longer for sale, as well as the cloak.
micheal_andreas_stahl
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

random_guy wrote: Someone needs to make a walkthrough about the bonus missions. I'd do it myself, but I suck at this game.
I am supposed to be doing a walkthrough but school killed it. I'm thinking of starting it again. But i'm not sure about how to document the splits in the story.
random_guy wrote: No wonder I've been having so much trouble, I didn't realise you had to lock on with 'l' in order for the auto-tracking to work. That's what I get for letting my mind wander when I read the manual, I guess.
Yes, that happened to me. Well, to be honest i couldn't be bothered reading it, I just started playing.
With auto-tracking, I just killed a bunch of demons in the first AWUCS mission. I died eventually, of course, but I got much further. I think I actually stand a chance at this and maybe palan 1, now that I know about this.
Demons are like stilleto's only they are better armed. try getting a HS 0r a DF missile to hit them as they are Afterburning towards you. that does some damage, not much though, but it get rid of the sheild. i found it work best for me with guns that struggle to get the sheild down but rip through the armour.
random_gay wrote:Ok, I did all the revolution missions until she told me to come back later, then I clicked on her again, and the next mission was surprisingly similar to the first. Bring a new revolution to a new system, etc... How many times am I supposed to do the same missions? Does this campaign stream end, or not until you have all the planets under commie control? If so, what happens then?
I haven't completed the commie line yet as it started spawning Broadswords. (it selects ships to spawn randomly which is another problem for me in the walkthrough)

Team Fortress 2
Zool
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Zool »

I have a very good, simple but highly detailed Walkthrough/FAQ for Privateer and RF for the original Privateer. I found it VERY helpful to get through the PR storyline. It even lists what ships and and how many for each mission. I believe it would suffice with some changes to numbers of ships listed for each mission as PR has many more than the Original for certain missions, also the ship and weapon specs. Permission pending from the writer if required of course. If anyone is interested just ask and I'll post it.
Time is an Illusion..............Lunchtime doubly so!! -Ford Prefect-
Check out Privateer themed goodies!
http://www.cafepress.com/soulfulngifted/2889859
micheal_andreas_stahl
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Zool wrote:I have a very good, simple but highly detailed Walkthrough/FAQ for Privateer and RF for the original Privateer. I found it VERY helpful to get through the PR storyline. It even lists what ships and and how many for each mission. I believe it would suffice with some changes to numbers of ships listed for each mission as PR has many more than the Original for certain missions, also the ship and weapon specs. Permission pending from the writer if required of course. If anyone is interested just ask and I'll post it.
There are meny walkthroughs for the PR campaign. Could help me write one for the bonus campaign??? :D :D :D I NEED help really.