Parallel Universe Website

Forum for discussing various mods for the VS-engine based upon Privateer. (Please play nice now, and extinguish all flaming materials.
Sincerely, The Management)
cmptch
Merchant
Merchant

Parallel Universe Website

Post by cmptch »

@Draken Stark

I like php and mysql, they play very well together. I was wondering if you are using Stylesheets. If you are, that will make it easy to create a sort of Content Manager.

I have no problem working with flat files. No problem at all.

I would prefer to use PHP for more backend stuff, though. Things like counters and whatnot. If there's going to be an Admin section, I would prefer to have a database. Messages, logins, and passwords need to be kept private.

The reason I was using a CMS was that it's easy for a group to update. If news and faqs are setup in an easily manageable way, it becomes a pleasure to work with.

With an "Admin area" I could setup a faq and news manager using flat files as well. I'm still learning PHP, but it wouldn't be a very difficult task. I would prefer mysql for this, though.
Backup your data unless you want to lose it.
Draken Stark
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Draken Stark »

Mainly @cmptch

I'm perfectly fine with using php... lol if fact in case you didn't see it I asked Dilloh already if his webhost supported it. :lol: So if I use any server-side processing at all... it will be with php.

I'm almost done modding the basic webpage in html. I hope it should be up shortly. Once I finish it up with the final touches I'll send it over to Dilloh and you so you'll know where to use regex or anything you'd need to change the html pages in the future. I also need to add some documentation for any future modders of the site.

Oh and I am using css. It's an external linked sheet so if you want to add any options to change the looks of the site it'll be in that unless you want to change the tables I have.

@Everyone

A brief summary of the site as is: It's basic layout is in tables on every page, with css to change the looks of the pages. It still has the old theme of the original PIMP my Remake with a few changes like an on-hover color change. Very misc. and it's all mostly done in css. I hold no intention of using javascript, vbscript, or anything special. I hope to keep this site as simple looking as possible when viewed. However as of now there is no documentation and that's really what I'm trying to tackle now. So the code is currently a mess >.< lol. But I have no real worries. 8) Looking forward to showing off what I've got... Think I'll show a quick screenshot for everyone.

EDIT: lol looking at that I forgot to change the title tags <.<;; I'll get that done really quick. But at least you can see what the site looks basically now.

EDIT2:
  • I got the title tags set correctly.

All pages are now all following the same theme.

I've just ran though all of Dilloh's old code and made it valid 4.0 html instead of the 3.2 he was using before.

I'm redoing the author/contact us page. It's going to have a list of people who've contributed, however I don't think it's a good idea to have an entire page for each of them other than V.I.P.s if at all.

I'm also adding a link to the forum in the menu.
Also on the joblist page vs. the contributors page... they seem to be to be following the same purpose. I would like to have some feedback on this. I'm thinking we could just expand the joblist page and change the authors/contact us to the Forum link altogether.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Draken Stark
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Draken Stark »

I've made some massive updates to the color scheme that was there originally as well as some organizational techniques I've just started to use. Now I need to just update the FAQ a bit so it can be easily stared at and add the documentation in the right spots for maintenance solutions. I may also include a template in case we need to expand the site and also include a page that's purely documentation on how to use what I have made available in just the plain html that's there now.

I'll post a few more screenshots of hte updates to the site later when I get the time. Should be up around tomarrow afternoon (PST) if I can help it.
/v\4¥ 7|-|3 1337 |33 vv17|-| j00!
If you can't read it, it's obviously not.
micheal_andreas_stahl
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by micheal_andreas_stahl »

I take it some people are pushing a total new forum? :roll:
"The bullets come out of the slim end, mate!"

Sniper after dominating another Sniper
Team Fortress 2
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

I think this thought has nearly died. Most people wish to have a forum within VS or to stay here. Maybe there will be website forum for devs, but I'd really mind waving myself through multiple forums, tags, etc.
cmptch
Merchant
Merchant

Post by cmptch »

I agree with Dilloh, wading through multiple forums would be a pain in the arschloch(sp?)

The website is a good idea for quick access to manuals, downloads, and learn what the project is all about. Let's not forget end-user news.

@draken Stark and Dilloh

I can provide a domain name.
I can set up unlimited e-mail accounts.
I can set up FTP access for a limited number of users.(a large number, in fact)

Let me know what you want or need.
Backup your data unless you want to lose it.
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

Sounds both great (the webspace issue and your german cursing :wink: )

Multiple FTP access is a great advantage: We can update stuff without mailing it around until the "uploader" has it. Validation via admin. Site updates, e.g. news entries, can be done by multiple admins.

E-Mail accounts are great, I'd additionally prefer a formmailer to pick out real contacts from spam bots. I'd also sacrifice my private email if we have a capable formmailer.

Looks like we're speeding up right now!
Draken Stark
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Draken Stark »

cmptch wrote:I agree with Dilloh, wading through multiple forums would be a pain in the arschloch(sp?)

The website is a good idea for quick access to manuals, downloads, and learn what the project is all about. Let's not forget end-user news.

Let me know what you want or need.
Hey that's almost exactly what I've had on mind since I've tried to help out with the site. The biggest problem for the site is content as of now.

There's no tutorials on how to mod anything.

We need that as well as an FAQ.

The whole thing on the games stats I think I might be able to handle... - But would be nice if someone with some skill at art or taking photos/snapshots would do so for the things like a map of the Gemini Sector, a map of each of the quadrants, and then one for each of the systems. I'd like to create a page where you can click on the parts of the system to see more of it. Then eventually click on the planet you'd want to know about. This I'd think would be great for the cargo and jump routes pages. I know there's plenty of maps like that out there already for privateer, but I can't use those without copywrite infringement. This has to be an original work.

Other than what I just listed there I think that's all that needs to be worked on for now when it comes to the client-end of the site. We need at least one page for each of those topics down before some real admin site management pages can be built.

Hope this generates some feedback. Creating a site is a very sensitive topic, and needs to be taken care of.

@cmptch

I'll try and get you some of those html pages I have down already so you could use them for a template to create some basic site management pages for Dilloh or anyone else who's going to manage the site. Hope to get those to you soon. Good luck with the server-side scripting 8) if you're willing to take care of that.
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

I see no problem in creating content. I'll start creating a modding faq. I see no problems in taking screenshots from the game, any review or fan site has this without violating any copyright law. Since I posess the original privateer, I might take shots from those maps (which looked much better I think) and add the missing stuff, we shall see. But creating the map might be a job for someone who has the time and the will to help but not yet the knowledge to mod or script. Any volunteers?
Draken Stark
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Draken Stark »

Dilloh wrote:I see no problem in creating content. I'll start creating a modding faq.

Any volunteers?
I forgot to mention a general gameplay FAQ would be nice as well... for those of us who don't know how to start the campaigns and such and ask for help on it repeatedly :lol:. We could use a hand on that too. :o
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

Yeah... but I'd like to delegate this to someone else, should not be too difficult. Anybody willing to create a FAQ about gameplay (campaign walkthrough, ship suggestions, etc.)?
Draken Stark
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Draken Stark »

Sorry for the neglection as of late. I've been stuck working on a project and setting up an online storefrontfor class. Should be taken down any day now lol thanks to the 30 day trail or w/e.

But back to topic! Dilloh, would you mind posting the location in the forum where all the up-to-date downloads are (again >.< lol)?
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

Of course I wouldn't :wink:
The whole set is located at http://www.dilloh.keepfree.de/filefront.html
You can check the link adresses to get closer to the downloads.

By the way... Please contact me as soon as the rocket launcher is available again. I could need one to blast away my employers.
Draken Stark
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Draken Stark »

Ok

***Here's an update***

I've started to add some documentation in both a txt file and creating templates in the html files for Dilloh.

I've been browsing both the forums lately for faqs on gameplay and fixing some common problems so I've been busy with that. I haven't worked on the recording the stats yet. But I'm curious where I can find where all the price fluctuations in the game are. So I can do something like:

Gun | $195.67 - $223.32

Well just so no one starts getting any doubts. I'm still working on the site. I'm also looking into checking out the beta for GG and seeing how it might be modable *so don't go around calling me a traitor just yet lol :wink:*

Still though. Once GG puts out it's beta it's going to be up in the air about what's going to happen in PR. We'll have to strip it down of all it's copywriten artwork, ect. because we're only allowed the code for now, unless we get permission from the people who contributed to GG. Here's to hopes that all goes well! ^^
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

I'm also looking into checking out the beta for GG and seeing how it might be modable *so don't go around calling me a traitor just yet lol Wink*
Uh well, I also follow the posts in the GG forum, but didn't see a reason yet to sign up. There's only shoot's rebalance around, quite popular btw, but quite similar to ZR, so I think with PU/canonHUDs/ZR, we've gone quite farer around here and I remember shoot taking his first steps in our forum... the good guys learn from the better one 8)

Anyway, you're a double-agent by telling users in the GG forum to hack their savegames with notepad... this only works with wordpad mate :lol: I know this was not your intention, but maybe it happened deep in your mind to do sabotage on the GG users, so you still have your roots here, Draken! :twisted:
Still though. Once GG puts out it's beta it's going to be up in the air about what's going to happen in PR. We'll have to strip it down of all it's copywriten artwork, ect. because we're only allowed the code for now, unless we get permission from the people who contributed to GG. Here's to hopes that all goes well! ^^
Relax. In first case I hope that all artwork will have a contributor list, otherwised we will ask John for a complete list. Else, but this is a far-away thought, we could convert the whole PU mod for Gemini Gold! Don't get me wrong, I like this forum, this community, PR as the more customizeable game. But if the people keep running to the beautiful graphics (and hell, they ARE beautiful!) of GG, we'll have to do something for PR.

However, I think we can make some points when WCU is on the rise. Most people want to see that in first case, and I remember chuck saying that WCU is no game at all, but a base for Wing Commander games, so we can take out what we want and convert it into PU matters.

Draken Stark, since you have connections with the GG staff, would you set up a topic in the forum as a sort of "advertisement", mainly as a request for all the artworkers to use their stuff in PU, among with an introduction of what we are doing here? Alternatively, I would like to ask you if you ask the authors for permissions for yourself. But only if you find time for one of that / think it is worth a try.
micheal_andreas_stahl
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by micheal_andreas_stahl »

From what i've gathered GG is the 'Purist' form. You sure their going to run for modding GG :wink: ?

(by "GG" i take it means Geminii Gold)
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

GG will be most likely equally structured like PR, which means they have a units.csv, a masterpartlist, all the py files, etc. We could, if we wanted, bring in all PR and PU ships and quasi avoid the ask-the-author-issue by offering a mod for GG. I also think it would be popular like nothing before.

But it would surely lead to the end of PR and as I said, I can live without the nice base graphics if necessary and favor the bring-in-wcu and new campaigns-concept.

Just a thought. We will se how nice GG really is, if the new engine and codes works with what we have here, or if anybody truly wants it around here.
Draken Stark
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Draken Stark »

PR has exactly the same structure as GG. When GG gets it's new version it'll still be the same way all over again. It's not going to be the end, it's more like it's going to be a renewal. New version doesn't mean killing the old game for a new one. GG should be just as modable as always and thus the spirit of PR will still exist. PR is just like GG only we implement bonus stuff and that's awesome. (need I go through the list of buyable ships? the campaign?)

This whole thing has started backwards anyway imo. Remake kind of was the version which was getting all the development done. The way it is now on the other hand... GG the purist one... is getting it. When it comes to mods... it's best to get the purist, stable version done first then branch off of that with mods. Anyhow that's what mods do. They add stuff or change things around while keeping the same core code. PR will still be here unless we all abandon it. There's no reason to let the spirit of PR die due to something as trivial as a version update.

Everything as is now, PR could be (as is) as simple as a mod for GG. Again it's the same structure. Correct me if I'm wrong, but things could be simpler imho. ^^ I'm personally looking forward to not having demons dance around my ship, or having to attack my allies on the oxford missions, ect. Everything is as simple as you'd want to see it. To get PR off of GG right now all we'd need are the unit.cvs files, all the ships, ect.
It's still the same core coding!

OK now on top of all that... Talking about GG's graphics... They are really nice. If we do convert PR into a mod for GG we might be able to get them technically speaking. But if you ask me this is the devious side of things.

And truly... In the original Privateer, when it comes to running out of a fuel in a system with no ship yard, and having only one save in that system. Or something along those lines. Editing your save file is all you can do other than start all over again from scratch. lol I've already written an FAQ explaining that situation. 8)

One last thing: I've thought of asking before for the permission to use the art work, but they're not done yet getting all of it completed. Also >.< I'm not sure how to ask without making it look like spam for PR. Something I frown on no matter what the situation is. So if I can find an opportunity to ask politely I'll do it. It's actually what I've been waiting for and I do think it's worth a try.
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

PR will still be here unless we all abandon it.
Glad you think so. If I had to decide, I'd take PR/PU for it has the option of improved gameplay rather than improved graphics.
In the original Privateer, when it comes to running out of a fuel in a system with no ship yard, and having only one save in that system.
Hearing things like this, I sometime think the GG guys are nearly too obsessive about recreating the original.
I've thought of asking before for the permission to use the art work, but they're not done yet getting all of it completed. Also >.< I'm not sure how to ask without making it look like spam for PR. Something I frown on no matter what the situation is. So if I can find an opportunity to ask politely I'll do it. It's actually what I've been waiting for and I do think it's worth a try.
I know the question which means begging for graphics to support PR is quite embarassing, so I urge you to be diplomatic and polite as you said. I see it as an invitation for those artworkers to help also in our project with work they have already done. I wonder how many people in the GG forum know about PR/PU at all. Many players come out in GG when they search for "Privateer", but I cannot imagine that the people would say "no" to more ships, more arms, more campaigns, more FUN!

So I'd suggest we go on like before and we shall see what happens next...
Draken Stark
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Draken Stark »

Ditto! Once this site is up, it's not going to be just for PU and PR, but for basic Privateer as well. I think that the site may produce enough attention that PR may get a good boost of people coming for help and many other things. Sounds a lot like a fantasy, but look at Google... there was a need and it filled it (sort of). This site has a purpose of helping the users and thus there's a need, demand, and a use.

Privateer, both GG and PR, lacks a website for technical help and common gameplay questions. Everything is being handled in forums. This site can help with that and be a very good place for people, who are interested in playing our remakes of Privateer, to visit. And as Dilloh said, PR having extra stuff everywhere, not many people are going to complain once they also have a purist form too.

I think the most devious thing is that the site's not going to be much help for people who are only into GG (Not to mention that they'll probably stop browsing the net once they have their game and are happy). The site is for PR/PU only. Because GG and PR share a lot of the same things (like the same core gameplay), it could be used for GG players too, which ultimately means free publicity for PR. I'm hoping that should help out with PR's popularity. ^^ :D
Draken Stark
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Draken Stark »

I'm almost ready to give cmptch the first batch of the website. This will include the following pages:

download,
faq,
home page,
joblist,
links,
tutorials,
and the forum link page (may end up being good as is, but still handing it over just in case.)

I still need to create a sample template for the download page's table though and make some final touches to the documentation.txt file.

I'll still work on the gameplay data pages when I can. I still have yet to create one of them >.< I've been working on the basic part of the website for a little while now, with life poping in here and there. I'll try to get this last bit down asap for cmptch to finally start working on some heavy server-side scripting or anything he needs to do.

EDIT: Just a quick note for cmptch. Copy and Paste will be your best friend. I've tried to make things as simple as possible for you to create some php admin pages easy if you view the source of any of the html files. Look for the comment tags and take out the (stuff) and put in variables. As easy as that I'd hope. OK class is almost out now so I have to call it a day. I'll try and get all this ready by the end of the week.
Draken Stark
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Draken Stark »

Another quick thing I'd like to add... I'll try to go though all the missions and save every time I complete a main mission (and do some heavy moding to my money stock pile <.<). This way when someone makes a good walkthrough, we can have campaign codes for the save files at those missions if anyone needs them.
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

I like your thoughts, especially the point with Google. I'd really like to be one of the richest guys in the world :shock:
Draken Stark
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Draken Stark »

lol, wouldn't we all? Well remember what I said about fantasy... First things first there needs to be popularity with Privateer in general.
Of course though... the more legitimate sites that are up about privateer when it's searched on the web the more eyes we'll grab.
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

Regarding the structure of a search engine like Google, I would suggest to set up meta tags as well as link to as many Privateer-related sites as we can found, also create a banner which can be linked from private pages or team signatures, and finally subscribe the page in as many free search engine entry pages as possible.

So far about the popularity for search engines...