MOD: Privateer 1.2 Parallel Universe 1.0

Forum for discussing various mods for the VS-engine based upon Privateer. (Please play nice now, and extinguish all flaming materials.
Sincerely, The Management)
targ collective
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by targ collective »

No orbits...? How exactly? I was under the impression that orbits were an immutable law of nature. And 20gs would mean mega discomfort, is there enhancement to the limbs and membranes of these people like in the Night's Dawn Trilogy?
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

In WC there are "inertial compensators" that neutralize the effects of acceleration. Don't ask me how they work ... ;-)
Solon Halwinder
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Solon Halwinder »

I think pretty much anything sci-fi has inertial compensators, the new Battlestar Galactica being a notable exception.

Also: An idea I had from a quick run with Freespace 2 a few days ago. It is possible within the confines of the VS engine to make weapons that have different rates of damage when hitting shields as opposed to hull?
"Ever tried to count hyperactive schoolchildren while someone shouts random numbers in your ear? It's like that."
--Geetra, frustrated mage (Magic: The Gathering)
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

Solon Halwinder wrote:I think pretty much anything sci-fi has inertial compensators, the new Battlestar Galactica being a notable exception.
Hehehe, specially Star-trek, who up the "warp" number like one every two seconds... That'd be like trillions of G's... :D
Also: An idea I had from a quick run with Freespace 2 a few days ago. It is possible within the confines of the VS engine to make weapons that have different rates of damage when hitting shields as opposed to hull?
That would be absolutely wonderful from a gameplay perspective, but it would probably change the WC-ness of the game a lot. I liked the Descent paradigm, where shields are good against energy weapons, but ignored by projectiles. But in WC shields are good against fast projectiles. Torpedos go slowly precisely to be able to penetrate shields...
targ collective
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by targ collective »

Shield penetration does work. Selective damage rates don't, at least not yet. Such things would be messy to implement; maybe bug the VS devteam after the next release?

EDIT: About warp - that changes the 'height' of the 'crest' of the warp field the ships travel on, so 'real' velocity is multiplied by 'warp' velocity. Think SPEC.
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

Jeez, what is this? A chatroom? :shock:
The Speke widget shows Randrigor in orbit, after all - you could make it all but stationary, and players would still get the point.
Convincing.
If the orbiting object is as low and close to the planet as for the planet to occupy almost half your field of view, it should take at least 20 minutes to orbit full circle. If it's any further out, the rotation should not be noticeable at all.
I see - I just made it that fast to show everyone: Hey, we can put things in orbit! See? It will be slowed down significantly.
micheal_andreas_stahl
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by micheal_andreas_stahl »

Dilloh wrote:Jeez, what is this? A chatroom? :shock:
Hmmm, *pulls out dictionary*
chat room >noun an area on the Internet or other computer network where users can communicate.
forum >noun (pl. forums) 1 a meeting or medium for an exchange of views

Thus a chatroom does not really have a good reason other than just meeting people, while a forum is more of a place where you go to talk about specific thing, like were here because of PR or VS.

Say in the description of the Militia drayman that it is orbiting.
Sunfire
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Sunfire »

micheal_andreas_stahl wrote:
Dilloh wrote:Jeez, what is this? A chatroom? :shock:
Hmmm, *pulls out dictionary*
chat room >noun an area on the Internet or other computer network where users can communicate.
forum >noun (pl. forums) 1 a meeting or medium for an exchange of views

Thus a chatroom does not really have a good reason other than just meeting people, while a forum is more of a place where you go to talk about specific thing, like were here because of PR or VS.

Say in the description of the Militia drayman that it is orbiting.
lol... i think he was being faceious...

@ chuck... thanks for pointing out that nothing orbits in WC... nothing moves... orbital mechanics are completely ignored... as is (mostly) inerta.. and well.. most everything else that governs true space flight... lol... the minute a player sees something in orbit... they'll be like... 'hey... wait... this is space... why doesnt everything orbit? whats the deal with asteroid fields? what about landing? what about atmospheres? why do space ships have wings? what am i doing with my life? what in th-*head explodes*'

oops... lost another one...
dilloh wrote:I see - I just made it that fast to show everyone: Hey, we can put things in orbit! See? It will be slowed down significantly.
lol... neat... good idea tho... ;) imho, id rather see it move very very little... just for the sake of scale and WC-ness, but thats just me talking... if everyone else likes it, then by all means ignore me :D

@ Chuck again... OT... but anyways... its been awhile since i have delved into trek-sci, but i think that IIRC, the theory behind warp is that the warp drive moves spacetime itself around the ship, the ship itself can be stationary, it just _appears_ to the outside observer that you vanish in a flash of light... go figure on how they get that much energy.... oh wait... stupidium crystals... thats right... :wink: /OT
z30
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by z30 »

chuck_starchaser wrote:Well, exactly; that's the whole problem. Actually, half the problem. Accelerations are ridiculous, like 10 or 20 G's, officially, for fighters. Then again, official figures and the magnitudes of things in-game are almost unrelated. Like kps (kilometers per second) are translated into METERS per second for game simulation purposes. So, any amount of acceleration gets you to max speed in no time.
The current fighter ships in PR & PU turn much faster than canon lore says, that's why the standard 80 deg/sec turn rate of the missiles isn't tight enough to catch them.

Just to give everyone an idea of how I had to adjust the HS,IR,FF turn rates to cope with this- here are the figures:

HS : 140 deg/sec (much higher because it has much less range to catch the target)

IR : 120 deg/sec

FF : 110 deg/sec (also upped damage so target's don't shrug it off

The reason I'm reluctant to change the ship specs very much is the same as the above reasons Chuck mentioned - I'm afraid of breaking some intrinsic & workable balance that exists now.
z30
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by z30 »

Here are a few ship configuration changes I had in mind, would like some feedback :

1) Targ's Drayman CVL modifications - his variant now has 2 LRFoF missile launchers in front with a Tachyon cannon mount. Since FF is now more effective I plan to change this to 3 FoF missile mounts in front.

2) Galaxy HK will be tweaked to fill in the gap left by the GS model (still to be rebalanced.

* 2 Heavy-Medium gun mounts & 2 Light gun mounts

* 2 Heavy-Medium missile mounts & 2 Light missile mounts in the underbelly (no bottom turret)

* top turret , 800-850 kps, 150 units cargo space

This will be the assault gunship of the Merchant's guild, more offense to complement the defensive capability of the stock Galaxy (turrets are defensive in nature).

This variant will be available in New Constantinople only.
micheal_andreas_stahl
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

The Galaxy HK sounds good. Never was able to fly it before though. :cry:
Zool
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Zool »

I think the Drayman should have a gun or two as well as the missiles even though they are next to useless, and yes on the extra missile launcher.

Definitely a big YES on the HK changes. I would never have considered it before as it was rather pathetic, but now Yes.
Time is an Illusion..............Lunchtime doubly so!! -Ford Prefect-
Check out Privateer themed goodies!
http://www.cafepress.com/soulfulngifted/2889859
S1Genocide
Trader
Trader

Re: Base mod for PU mods (based on Dilloh's DSE patch)

Post by S1Genocide »

z30 wrote:Hello all, I've been working on a base mod for all those who want to build on Dilloh's PU1b6-DSE patch. Dilloh, you can use this for your missions I'm just tweaking the basics & adding a few twists :)

So far :

* have added Orthuberra's graphics upgrade for inventory items

* fixed the Tarsus VDU display so it doesn't scroll over the left side - mission objectives can now be seen on the monitor

* used Targ's fix of several fighter cockpits to apply the same sanity setup for their respective VDU's

* fixed missile turn rates. you're going to love the new HS mobility - it really goes after the target. Range reduced from 15k to 10k to make this a dedicated short range killer.

also adjusted the IMRec & FoF turn radius - I think the FoF is a bit underpowered and will try new values for it's damage potential. I should also mention that the DF missile should not be underestimated - at it's 3K speed it will hit something at short range (w/ excellent damage)

On the todo list :

* use Targ's fix of the DraymanCVL turrets, but will eliminate the large turrets for this PU base mod version

* take a look at setting up small turrets so that the Tarsus Mk2 can be rebalanced to only carry turrets with light guns

* port over Targ's autotracking turret capability. If turrets are more accurate you probably won't need that many of them anymore. These will probably be a new turret class, 1.5-2x more expensive than the current ones.

* setup a separate faction for Solon & Dilloh's militia missions. Sligor's Slammers will field upgraded Scimitars & Hornets (leaving the militia with the stock Gladius & Talons - this feels right to me)

Pissing off the general militia won't get the Slammers mad at you.

Also adding the WCU setup for Perry to this mod. In WCU there are two Paradigm destroyers standing guard over that space station.

Dillo - your Speke orbiting Drayman moves too fast to dock with using a Tarsus. There is a way of setting up the orbit in the universe.xml - will post the Perry code later.
Looking forward to PU1.1b7 Can't wait to try the Rapier. I am using a modified Raptor for your guys mod right now.
Solon Halwinder
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Solon Halwinder »

Zool wrote:I think the Drayman should have a gun or two as well as the missiles even though they are next to useless, and yes on the extra missile launcher.

Definitely a big YES on the HK changes. I would never have considered it before as it was rather pathetic, but now Yes.
The only problem I had with the HK was the low cargo space; were it not for that, I'd've kept it instead of trading "down" to a regular Galaxy.
"Ever tried to count hyperactive schoolchildren while someone shouts random numbers in your ear? It's like that."
--Geetra, frustrated mage (Magic: The Gathering)
micheal_andreas_stahl
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Heat-Seeker (HS): this infra-red munition can only lock onto enemy ships from behind, and can be easily countered at long range by simply turning 90 degrees, causing the missile to lose its targeting lock. At close range, however, it's perfect to finish off an aggravating furball when your guns are out of power.
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

S1Genocide wrote:Looking forward to PU1.1b7 Can't wait to try the Rapier. I am using a modified Raptor for your guys mod right now.
Welcome to the boards! Feel free to post any kind of feedback!
z30
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Re: Base mod for PU mods (based on Dilloh's DSE patch)

Post by z30 »

S1Genocide wrote:
Looking forward to PU1.1b7 Can't wait to try the Rapier. I am using a modified Raptor for your guys mod right now.
Welcome to the PU discussion thread Genocide, the WCU Raptor is one of my favorite rides btw.

Hopefully we can improve this & other models soon.
micheal_andreas_stahl
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

z30 wrote:The current fighter ships in PR & PU turn much faster than canon lore says, that's why the standard 80 deg/sec turn rate of the missiles isn't tight enough to catch them.
This might be so for some, but FF's and IR's can keep up.
I wrote:Heat-Seeker (HS): this infra-red munition can only lock onto enemy ships from behind, and can be easily countered at long range by simply turning 90 degrees, causing the missile to lose its targeting lock. At close range, however, it's perfect to finish off an aggravating furball when your guns are out of power.
I think i got this out of Wiki, which inturn some one got out of a WC manual.
"The bullets come out of the slim end, mate!"

Sniper after dominating another Sniper
Team Fortress 2
z30
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by z30 »

Updates

*The grafted WC Multi player AI modules seem to be working but the aggression radius of hostile ships seem to be shorter than normal

* incorporated WC1 music files from WCU Multi - for use in special spots & missions

* going over ships unit files & directories for errors

More in the next few days - please don't expect an update patch release till next weekend.
micheal_andreas_stahl
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Cool, i am looking gorward for the new AI. The normal AI is not that good.

Team Fortress 2
z30
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by z30 »

And more updates :

* lost the entire units directory, rebuilt it

* Ported over WCU version of New Constantinople

* 2 Paradigms now stand guard over Perry, just like in WCU

* ported over ball turrets of WCU multi test - this will be used to implement small turrets for use in the Tarsus Mk2 & other ships (instead of having all medium turrets all the time :)

Next in line

* implement small turrets for TarsusMk2

* implement Targ's autotracking turrets

* Modify Drayman CVL using some of Targ's unit changes
micheal_andreas_stahl
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

What is the difference between PR New Con and WCU New Con? More detail?

Team Fortress 2
z30
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by z30 »

micheal_andreas_stahl wrote:What is the difference between PR New Con and WCU New Con? More detail?
The WCU NewCon has a darker , grittier feel. The current Perry base in PU actually came from WCU also.
micheal_andreas_stahl
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Oh cool, What i would REALLY like to see is Now Con with buildings you can fly between. It would be difficult. If i did not know what goes into modeling 3d stuff i would have suggested it earlier. It would be to difficult.

Team Fortress 2
S1Genocide
Trader
Trader

Post by S1Genocide »

I really really like the GalaxyGs can I make a request to "Not" take it out of the game.

My favorite ships in PCU are :
1.Raptor
2.GalaxyGs
3.OrionMk2H
4.OrionMk2B

Can't wait for the Rapier guys.