Anyone have a recent Parallel Universe snapshot?

Forum for discussing various mods for the VS-engine based upon Privateer. (Please play nice now, and extinguish all flaming materials.
Sincerely, The Management)
Solon Halwinder
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Anyone have a recent Parallel Universe snapshot?

Post by Solon Halwinder »

I was thinking it would be nice to play again, but the last time I updated my copy was before the end of 2012, because I never reinstalled a SVN client after upgrading my hard drive. And I figure there must have been SOME progress between then and when hosting ran out on WC Junction.
"Ever tried to count hyperactive schoolchildren while someone shouts random numbers in your ear? It's like that."
--Geetra, frustrated mage (Magic: The Gathering)
loki1950
The Shepherd

Re: Anyone have a recent Parallel Universe snapshot?

Post by loki1950 »

Hi Solon the last update to the svn repo on the binary was in 2011 so you aren't missing much ;) there has been some talk/traffic here about continuing work here.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
Solon Halwinder
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

It definitely needs some work. Last I remember, the ship dealers were selling template ships instead of blank ships, and the template values for ships added in Parallel Universe got zeroed out so they couldn't equip anything. Would a copy of my snapshot on Mega help things?
"Ever tried to count hyperactive schoolchildren while someone shouts random numbers in your ear? It's like that."
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Well then chime in on this thread http://forums.vega-strike.org/viewtopic ... 35&t=18089 Travits and erno are trying to wrangle all together with hopes of bring WC Gold along for the ride :wink:

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
ermo
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by ermo »

Solon Halwinder wrote:It definitely needs some work. Last I remember, the ship dealers were selling template ships instead of blank ships, and the template values for ships added in Parallel Universe got zeroed out so they couldn't equip anything. Would a copy of my snapshot on Mega help things?
Yeah, I've noticed the bolded bit as well. I'll put it on my bug list. FWIW, the ships I've tried can actually equip things even if they appear to be sold as template versions.

Head over to the thread loki linked to, if you want to follow my progress. Initially, my goal is to make PU r505 minimally playable on Linux and then Windows (bugs and all). Since I've been playing it on Linux for a couple of days now, you could say that I'm fairly close to reaching that goal... :wink:

EDIT: That's odd. The ship purchase logic resides in ./bases/weapons_lib.py and in that file, the .blank ship types are spelled out explicitly, which makes me wonder why the GUI is displaying the .template versions...
Privateer: Wing Commander Universe -- the continuation of chuck_starchaser's Privateer: Parallel Universe mod.
Solon Halwinder
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

FWIW, the ships I've tried can actually equip things even if they appear to be sold as template versions.
Check the ships that were added as part of the Parallel Universe project. I remember looking in the ships.csv file and all of their field had straight zeroes, so they couldn't equip shields, armor, or I think anything else.
ermo
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by ermo »

Just a quick note that Priv:WCU -- which is currently just a renamed and lightly massaged Privateer: Parallel Universe r505 that runs on the latest VS SVN code -- can now be found on GitHub:

https://github.com/ermo/privateer_wcu

I haven't made any attempt to get things working on Windows yet, so there may be a few snafus when using the latest VS Windows binaries compiled by pheonixstorm. YMMV as they say. :)
Privateer: Wing Commander Universe -- the continuation of chuck_starchaser's Privateer: Parallel Universe mod.