Frankenstein’s Monster is Alive!!

Forum for discussing various mods for the VS-engine based upon Privateer. (Please play nice now, and extinguish all flaming materials.
Sincerely, The Management)
ermo
Mercenary
Mercenary

Re: Frankenstein

Post by ermo »

Just a quick heads up that I ran into a major SNAFU with PWCU:

It turns out that I had a modified unit.py file living in my local root PWCU development folder which 'shadowed' the modules/unit.py file that gets pushed to GitHub. The modules/unit.py version was using an older function signature to a certain function and would throw an exception on startup as a result, which meant that players would simply see a missile unit instead of the New/Load GUI.

I've now fixed the issue and verified that PWCU runs with the current GitHub version. *phew*

Question: Does anyone here know how to edit the orientation of a ship as viewed on the base landing pad? The tarsus is situated all wrong (and it's missing its gun meshes as well...).

EDIT: Oh, so the ship orientation is per base and can be edited in the .py file that creates the base (per http://wiki.vega-strike.org/Development ... ackgrounds). Got it. :)
Privateer: Wing Commander Universe -- the continuation of chuck_starchaser's Privateer: Parallel Universe mod.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

EDIT: Oh, so the ship orientation is per base and can be edited in the .py file that creates the base (per http://wiki.vega-strike.org/Development ... ackgrounds). Got it. :)
Glad you found that :D did the weapon mount meshes come though all right as well.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
ermo
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by ermo »

loki1950 wrote:
Glad you found that :D did the weapon mount meshes come though all right as well?
Nope, I'm afraid not. If you have any tips you're more than welcome to share them!

I'm attaching my local VS patch for running the game with py34 on fedora. I've made a few other small tweaks as well. The patch applies cleanly against r13681 (the trunk/vegastrike/ folder was last modified in r13679) like so:

Code: Select all

trunk/vegastrike:$ svn patch VS_r13679_ermo_cmakepy34fedora_basename_savegame_vsimage.patch
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Privateer: Wing Commander Universe -- the continuation of chuck_starchaser's Privateer: Parallel Universe mod.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

I would check the definition of each ship in units.csv and the mount definition also in that file as the meshes may not be referenced properly and therefore not show.

my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
ermo
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by ermo »

loki1950 wrote:I would check the definition of each ship in units.csv and the mount definition also in that file as the meshes may not be referenced properly and therefore not show.
While I'm sure that advice is as sound as it comes, I'm afraid I don't really know what to look for? Any chance you could take a look at the units.csv file and see if it looks OK-ish to you? :mrgreen:

EDIT: I took a look, and short of something with the mount points inside the tarsus.bxfm being wonky, I don't know what could be wrong?
ermo
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by ermo »

loki1950 wrote:I would check the definition of each ship in units.csv and the mount definition also in that file as the meshes may not be referenced properly and therefore not show.
After experimenting with it a bit, it turned out that the tarsus in units.csv was using wonky mount point position vectors such that the guns sat inside the ship model instead of in front of it. I've fixed it locally but haven't yet uploaded the changes.

Thanks for the tip! 8)
Last edited by ermo on Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Thought that would be the problem getting the right values for each mount and attachment point is tedious I usually do it by importing the model into blender so I can use it's grid system though most of my work involved docking points for a couple of bases.

ermo
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by ermo »

The fixed units.csv with proper Tarsus mount points has been uploaded to github. 8)

Just being curious: When I'm flying the Tarsus in cockpit view and fire e.g. the lasers with the new mount positions, it looks as if the lasers fire from a position inside the cockpit, when in reality they should fire from below and in front of the cockpit. Is there a way to adjust this?
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Not sure but I think that the point the guns fire from on screen is fixed.

Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

I seem to remember a file or category called factions seed which populates the galaxy.
Also, there should be System ownerships in the py files, or in the xml for the universe.
We also had trouble with loading variant ships several years ago, eventually we found out that typos were the problem, vs behaved case sensitive. Also, "_" became " " ingame.

Dont know if this is of any help.
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

Cockpits, dont they also have mounts? The position might seem to look correct from the exterior, but maybe that wont apply for the interior
ermo
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by ermo »

@dilloh:

Your comments --and the knowledge and experience they represent -- are more than welcome! :D

Are you on Windows or Linux by the way? It would be really cool if you were on Linux and tried out my, er, 'massaged' version to see how it compares to the version you used to maintain...
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

Win7/64 but currently w/o any gpu whatsoever cuz my board seems to be damaged. Got 2 videocards that spill out no signals as soon as i use divers.
Also, i need to mention my unique broadband with 384 kbps.
Do you have a central bin or svn where one can dl single files of the current workbase?
ermo
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by ermo »

@dilloh:

The link in my signature points to github -- you can download/view single files there. :)

github priv:wcu project page: https://github.com/ermo/privateer_wcu

Last night I looked into compiling Vega Strike and Python 3.4.x with Visual C++ Express 2010 and, frankly, it seemed pretty 'manual' and complicated tbh. I ran into a blocker with expat.dll, so need to figure out where I went off the reservation... :)

@loki1950:

I think it is time to make an official VegaStrike + python 3.4.3 on Windows build guide that Just Works™ using Visual C++ Express 2010 (with a single build command). I'll see what I can do. 8)
XenonS
Atmospheric Pilot
Atmospheric Pilot

Re: Frankenstein’s Monster is Alive!!

Post by XenonS »

@ermo,
Hi, as a gamer I appreciate your PWCU project. I'm currently running PPU r505 on my Windows 7 x64. What would happen if I take your GitHub files and copy them over my PPU, would this run and give me a playable version? Also I understand that your projects shows improvments over PPU. Have you somehow corrected the bug of r505 disabling the buy of the Jump Drive and the buy of new ships after game save (see only post in PPU forum thread) ? In my r505 the sfx sound (opening scene + radio messages) are out of synch and do not work when in cockpit.
Does your PWCU contain any WCU features that you transfered? I have downloaded and tried WCU alpha 0.2 but it's only a dev version, not stable and not meant to be played I think.

Thanks anyone to link me to some in-depth description about added game features of PPU and changed keyboard commands, as I understand there are more missions, more ships and that's it, anything else all the same as GG.

Thanks very much to enlight me on this :)
XenonS
travists
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Re: Frankenstein’s Monster is Alive!!

Post by travists »

Glad to see this thing is still more or less alive. Been following Star Citizen since it came out, but thought I'd pop in.....