Wake up Call!

Forum for discussing various mods for the VS-engine based upon Privateer. (Please play nice now, and extinguish all flaming materials.
Sincerely, The Management)
travists
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Re: Wake up Call!

Post by travists »

I've got things zipped up, lots of data collected, and everything converted over. Just data entry now. Need to find a file hosting place again.
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

https://sourceforge.net/projects/wcuniverse/

I think I will need to reorganize the svn so you can get everything you need on it. For now I will get you set up so you can upload to the file section so I will have something to work with.
Upload to https://sourceforge.net/projects/wcuniv ... pha%200.2/ once I get you setup.. for some reason the code menu isn't there and I get a blank page when I try to login to sf.net
Because of YOU Arbiter, MY kids? can't get enough gas. OR NIPPLE! How does that mkae you feeeel? ~ Halo
ermo
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by ermo »

klauss wrote:
ermo wrote:However, I'm having some image corruption issues on two different Linux PCs using the OSS video drivers (r300g and r600g), so if someone with an ATI card using OSS drivers could check whether the loading screen and the main menu screen look corrupted on their end, that'd be very helpful. It would also be helpful if someone using an NVidia card could check the same -- drivers are irrelevant in this case.

All I did to was to compile VS trunk and run it with -D<path to my priv_pu directory>
Hm... which version of MESA?
Mesa 9.0 / Linux 3.5 / libdrm-2.4.39 -- I think it's pretty much stock 12.10.
Privateer: Wing Commander Universe -- the continuation of chuck_starchaser's Privateer: Parallel Universe mod.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

ermo wrote:
klauss wrote: Hm... which version of MESA?
Mesa 9.0 / Linux 3.5 / libdrm-2.4.39 -- I think it's pretty much stock 12.10.
Um... that's much newer than anything I've tried. Older 8.x MESAs had some similar issues. Maybe it's new bugs. Or maybe it's a regression. ... or maybe it's us.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
ermo
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by ermo »

@Klauss,

As it is, it appears that we can use RGBA PNG and DXT1/DXT1a/DXT3/DXT5 compressed DDS assets without any issues in priv_pu. If I've understood everything correctly, these are the only two image types that should be used for textures/sprites in the game, right? (Just finished reading through http://wiki.vega-strike.org/Development ... quirements btw.)

A few days ago, you mentioned something about an 'options' keyword in relation to .spr files (in order to avoid caching base assets when flying around). Do you happen to know where in the code/documentation I can find more info? After grepping the code and searching the wiki for more than an hour the other day, I still didn't find it...

Hints/pointers would be much appreciated. 8)
Privateer: Wing Commander Universe -- the continuation of chuck_starchaser's Privateer: Parallel Universe mod.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

ermo wrote:@Klauss,

As it is, it appears that we can use RGBA PNG and DXT1/DXT1a/DXT3/DXT5 compressed DDS assets without any issues in priv_pu. If I've understood everything correctly, these are the only two image types that should be used for textures/sprites in the game, right? (Just finished reading through http://wiki.vega-strike.org/Development ... quirements btw.)
You should be able to use jpeg too. It should be relatively high quality, though, and we should get a lossless png committed to the masters repo as a lossless reference image in case we need to work on it later.
ermo wrote:A few days ago, you mentioned something about an 'options' keyword in relation to .spr files (in order to avoid caching base assets when flying around). Do you happen to know where in the code/documentation I can find more info? After grepping the code and searching the wiki for more than an hour the other day, I still didn't find it...

What about this?
Wing Commander Universe
ermo
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by ermo »

klauss wrote:
ermo wrote:@Klauss,

You should be able to use jpeg too. It should be relatively high quality, though, and we should get a lossless png committed to the masters repo as a lossless reference image in case we need to work on it later.
Except that apparently I can't use JPEG with PU on my Radeon hardware (due to the lack of alpha channel)... :?
klauss wrote:
ermo wrote:A few days ago, you mentioned something about an 'options' keyword in relation to .spr files (in order to avoid caching base assets when flying around). Do you happen to know where in the code/documentation I can find more info? After grepping the code and searching the wiki for more than an hour the other day, I still didn't find it...

What about this?
Aha! So I could have a sprite, say, vegastrike/trunk/data/sprites/interfaces/main_menu/menu.spr that contains this:

Code: Select all

interfaces/main_menu/menu.image 0
1.94 1.94
0 0 video
Would that be the correct placement of the video option? And thanks for helping me out -- much appreciated. 8)
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

ermo wrote:
klauss wrote: You should be able to use jpeg too. It should be relatively high quality, though, and we should get a lossless png committed to the masters repo as a lossless reference image in case we need to work on it later.
Except that apparently I can't use JPEG with PU on my Radeon hardware (due to the lack of alpha channel)... :?
Yeah, well... that would be a bug to fix.
ermo wrote:Aha! So I could have a sprite, say, vegastrike/trunk/data/sprites/interfaces/main_menu/menu.spr that contains this:

Code: Select all

interfaces/main_menu/menu.image 0
1.94 1.94
0 0 video
Would that be the correct placement of the video option? And thanks for helping me out -- much appreciated. 8)
Yep, exactly.
Wing Commander Universe
travists
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by travists »

pheonixstorm: Trying to be a bit more active now, things seem to be setteling down a bit at SC, I don't see an upload option on the page, but three zips. Do I need to use turtle?
ermo
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by ermo »

klauss wrote:
ermo wrote:
klauss wrote: You should be able to use jpeg too. It should be relatively high quality, though, and we should get a lossless png committed to the masters repo as a lossless reference image in case we need to work on it later.
Yeah, well... that would be a bug to fix.
There are a couple of issues with that:

1) We don't have a solid repro for pure VS. To fix the bug, we'd need a solid repro, wouldn't we? I even tried pulling the wonky PU splash_image verbatim into VS -- and while it showed up corrupted in PU, it shows up fine in VS. This I find truly strange and it strengthens my suspicion that it is an issue with something in the PU data files.

2) I consider it my job to get PU running on VS. If that means that I need to convert PU images to either RGBA PNG or DDS for the engine not to crash, then that's what I'll do assuming the bug from 1) remains elusive. I mean, what other options do I have? It'd be great to uncover the source of the issue, sure, but I also need to maintain my momentum...
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

ermo wrote:2) I consider it my job to get PU running on VS. If that means that I need to convert PU images to either RGBA PNG or DDS for the engine not to crash, then that's what I'll do assuming the bug from 1) remains elusive. I mean, what other options do I have? It'd be great to uncover the source of the issue, sure, but I also need to maintain my momentum...
True. Just remember that limitation isn't by design.
Wing Commander Universe
ermo
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by ermo »

klauss wrote:
ermo wrote:2) I consider it my job to get PU running on VS. If that means that I need to convert PU images to either RGBA PNG or DDS for the engine not to crash, then that's what I'll do assuming the bug from 1) remains elusive. I mean, what other options do I have? It'd be great to uncover the source of the issue, sure, but I also need to maintain my momentum...
True. Just remember that limitation isn't by design.
Just had a chat with chuck and he's on your side in terms of rather wanting to see the issue being fixed. Since that is the case, I'm willing to go into an investigation on this, provided that I have someone with whom I can spar and with whom I can share my hardware (or rather, gfx stack) configuration.

I have a box w/a Radeon HD 2600 XT ready to go with whatever distro you use. Which gfx hardware do you and the crew have available?
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

ermo wrote:I have a box w/a Radeon HD 2600 XT ready to go with whatever distro you use. Which gfx hardware do you and the crew have available?
Not sure about the rest, I have a test machine with an nVidia GF8 (one of the 8 series, can't remember which exactly), and another with an intel onboard (i965 I think). The NV machine uses nVidia's binary driver (linux of course), and the intel one uses MESA 8.10 and libdrm2.
Wing Commander Universe
ermo
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by ermo »

klauss wrote:
ermo wrote:I have a box w/a Radeon HD 2600 XT ready to go with whatever distro you use. Which gfx hardware do you and the crew have available?
Not sure about the rest, I have a test machine with an nVidia GF8 (one of the 8 series, can't remember which exactly), and another with an intel onboard (i965 I think). The NV machine uses nVidia's binary driver (linux of course), and the intel one uses MESA 8.10 and libdrm2.
What are the odds that you could poll some of the other VS devs about whether they have a radeon card handy for testing? I understand that you have a lot of other stuff on your plate, but it would be really nice if I had someone with whom to share notes etc. ...
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

It's pretty simple. Either wait for someone to answer, or start a poll thread. Simple.
Wing Commander Universe
log0

Post by log0 »

I've got an ATI HD 4850 and Intel GM45 (and a machine with a AMD Trinity-APU but not that interesting for gaming).
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

log0 wrote:I've got an ATI HD 4850 and Intel GM45 (and a machine with a AMD Trinity-APU but not that interesting for gaming).
I gather you haven't been able to reproduce the dreaded fglrx/Catalyst crashes?
Wing Commander Universe
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

I haven't bought anything other than nvidia since my Riva 128 and nForce 2 motherboard. I probably should setup a computer with an ATI and intel combo at some point.
Because of YOU Arbiter, MY kids? can't get enough gas. OR NIPPLE! How does that mkae you feeeel? ~ Halo
log0

Post by log0 »

klauss wrote:
log0 wrote:I've got an ATI HD 4850 and Intel GM45 (and a machine with a AMD Trinity-APU but not that interesting for gaming).
I gather you haven't been able to reproduce the dreaded fglrx/Catalyst crashes?
Unfortunately not. The only bit I haven't tried is to do a windows reinstall to exclude any weird runtime issues(I have the MSVC crap installed with its own bunch of dlls). This is also one of the reasons I'm trying to get a working mingw build with all dependencies compiled against mingw.

And there is the OpenAL Soft testbuild to exclude possible issues with OpenAL. Now if we had some testers...
travists
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by travists »

hate to leave ermo hanging anylonger. Anyprogress with getting those settings on Sourceforge worked out?
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

Sorry forgot you were still waiting on that. Its changed, you should be able to add files on the project page.
travists
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by travists »

What I have is here