Arr, matey, them pirates be cheatin'

A home for tales of personal killcounts and engagements between vast armadas, as well as the odd recounting of that time you saw an alien capship taking out a mining base while trying to parallel park.
Miramor
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Arr, matey, them pirates be cheatin'

Post by Miramor »

I just got into a fight between some LIHW Llamas and a couple of pirate Plowshares. The Llamas didn't seem to be doing so well for some reason, but I fired a few missiles and joined the fray anyway, seeing as Plowshares were nothing difficult.

Imagine my surprise when one of the plowshares turned around and swung a bright purple beam in my direction.

Yes... Plowshares packing heavy ion beams. Fortunately, they were still Plowshares.
Dark-Blood-Hound
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Dark-Blood-Hound »

Strange.. When I had normal, un-upgraded Llama, I totaly kicked Pirates asses in their crappy Plowshares... Asoon as I get more advanced ships with Upgrades, they start to get tough.

Heh, Ive never like the Cowardly Pirates, always flying in packs..... -_-
Miramor
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Miramor »

Yeah, a pack of about 20 hyenas going after an Ox was my last mission. One of them had somehow managed to mount quad disruptor beams. It looks to me like 0.4.3 has a problem with limiting mountable weapon types on other ships.
Dark-Blood-Hound
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Exactly! My fully armed, shielded, coated, and specced out Mule had it's hull toasted by one damn Aera fighter ship. I understand their tough, but seriously, a few shots to a capital ship..? Strange!
Miramor
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Miramor »

Could have been an advanced torp, if it was an Areus. Funny though, I've never noticed Aera ships with anything other than their usual (formidable) armament. It's only pirate and Luddite ships that I see with crazy beam weapons that shouldn't fit on their mounts...
Dark-Blood-Hound
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Miramor wrote:Could have been an advanced torp, if it was an Areus. Funny though, I've never noticed Aera ships with anything other than their usual (formidable) armament. It's only pirate and Luddite ships that I see with crazy beam weapons that shouldn't fit on their mounts...
Thats a good guess, but I remembered it was just using Beams, or some other sort of Mounted weapon like that..... -_-
Miramor
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Miramor »

And the latest surreal trend in Uln fashion on my copy: mounting Aera milspec penetrators on Dodos. :shock:
Miramor
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Miramor »

Among today's sightings were a pirate Hyena with dual ktek beams and another with four disruptors... But this one really takes the cake:

An Uln Hyena with two disruptor beams and a heavy particle beam. That's a light capship weapon! When this fighter first started firing on me I thought I'd accidentally hit one of the nearby Goddards. :shock:
Miramor
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Miramor »

The latest update...

I took a bounty mission on some Redeemers. Not so bad... Except that they were all outfitted with ridiculous weapons - photon guns, tachyon guns, ktek beams, etc. I managed to kill two of them, but the other two were ripping me a new one, so I landed on Atlantis to get some repairs and restock on ammo.

Mucho credits worth of repair later (Atlantis was unfortunately out of heatseekers), I launched and headed back towards the remaining Redeemers. Unfortunately, I was accosted by three Uln Hyenas.

Two had heavy particle beams. All of them seemed to have autotracking on some of those beams. I managed to wipe out all three, but took another 8000+ credits worth of damage, and the Redeemers got away.

Well, I figure it's time for a bit of payback, so I think I'll exploit some bugs myself. I've got decent standing with the Aera thanks to all the pirates and Luddites I've shot up, and my Progeny has 8 mountpoints, any of which can take a penetrator gun. Four of them are special/special-missile mountpoints, the use of which is a little doubtful. I think four penetrators should do nicely.
Dark-Blood-Hound
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

It's unusual.. One minute, I'll be in a Hyena, it will destroy all my enemies soI think it's good... Next minute it gets the crap kicked out of it by similar factioned/race ships... -_-
Miramor
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Miramor »

Yeah, as I said... the stable version of the game has problems with allocating weapons to enemy fighters.

As it happens the penetrator gun thing didn't pan out... In spite of what I've heard people saying about penetrators, a dead hit with four penetrator bolts will *not* severely damage a Hyena, it will only collapse the shields and damage the armor a little.
Dark-Blood-Hound
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Miramor wrote:Yeah, as I said... the stable version of the game has problems with allocating weapons to enemy fighters.

As it happens the penetrator gun thing didn't pan out... In spite of what I've heard people saying about penetrators, a dead hit with four penetrator bolts will *not* severely damage a Hyena, it will only collapse the shields and damage the armor a little.
Ah yes, but maybe it is possible to edit the Config files for this sort of stuff, just like you can with other things?
Miramor
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Miramor »

Yeah, I'm thinking of giving the Progeny either quad mounts like the Gawain or twin heavy mounts. Two light/medium mounts don't cut it on a medium figher.

Then again,things might be different in the SVN (which I'm giving another go, as soon as a stupid bug in aclocal is fixed).
Dark-Blood-Hound
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Miramor wrote:Yeah, I'm thinking of giving the Progeny either quad mounts like the Gawain or twin heavy mounts. Two light/medium mounts don't cut it on a medium figher.

Then again,things might be different in the SVN (which I'm giving another go, as soon as a stupid bug in aclocal is fixed).

I think having ships such as Plowshares with massive, powerfull weapons would only be one of those mess-around type scenarios when people are randomly modding stuff when their bored..
Digolgrin
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Digolgrin »

Miramor wrote:Yeah, a pack of about 20 hyenas going after an Ox was my last mission. One of them had somehow managed to mount quad disruptor beams. It looks to me like 0.4.3 has a problem with limiting mountable weapon types on other ships.
Easily theried: No ship in Vega Strike (even a pilot) is the same. You might see a Plowshare with quad ion cannons with some heatseekers to boot when you'd sometimes see them with qaud lasers and no missiles at all.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

One comment on this Digolgrin difficulty increases with your bank balance so when you can afford a better ship the missions and random encounters get harder :shock:

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2