A Call For Videos?

A home for tales of personal killcounts and engagements between vast armadas, as well as the odd recounting of that time you saw an alien capship taking out a mining base while trying to parallel park.
Mr. Bane
Merchant
Merchant

A Call For Videos?

Post by Mr. Bane »

Videos are quite arguably the second most appealing thing to watch when you're looking at a new game to play, second really only to snapshots (And only because snapshots load quicker).

So I propose a "Show us your V-Strike Video", or VSV. These videos should contain:
  • Cool stuff.
  • Cool stuff.
  • Cool stuff.
And more importantly:
  • Cool stuff.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Re: A Call For Videos?

Post by loki1950 »

Fraps can be used to capture that video on Windows and there are few that are useful on Linux i will try to track that few down and post the particulars here.Most with not work in full screen mode though besides if we are going to post them bandwidth becomes a consideration :wink:

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
Mr. Bane
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Mr. Bane »

All the Linux Desktop Recorders work full and framed screen. They are:

Istanbul
RecordMyDesktop.

Both are in the Ubuntu repository.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Thanks Mr.bane i will have a look thru the fedora repos then :D should be there.have to wait a bit there where a bunch of updates pending :lol: downloading them now and both are in the fedora repos and now installed :D

my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Been fooling around with Istanbul it grab the video great but no sound capture and apparently i am not alone it that as i came across an unanswered post about it.Well no to try RecordMyDesktop. i was avoiding it as it's only a CLI tool oh well time to call up it's man page :lol:

Mr. Bane
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Mr. Bane »

RecordMyDesktop has a GUI interface too, GTK-RecordMyDesktop.
athomic1
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by athomic1 »

Mr. Bane wrote:RecordMyDesktop has a GUI interface too, GTK-RecordMyDesktop.
There's also qt-recordMyDesktop for the KDE users. The Fedora repository has 'em all.
MC707
Venturer
Venturer

Post by MC707 »

soo... anybody sat down and did some recording? I might do that myself after I format my box. oh and does anybody know a video editing software for Linux thats like windows movie maker?
My Machine: OS: Ubuntu 8.10 (intrepid) 64 bit in a 500GB Maxtor HD @ 7200 RPM, Windows Vista PsyChoses Edition 2009 32 bit in a 500GB Samsung HD @ 7200 RPM CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz GPU: nVidia GeForce 9400 GT @ 1024 MB RAM: 3891 MB
Earthlings|The End of the Internet?|FreeWebsite
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

video editing software for Linux thats like windows movie maker?
Don't know of any that are that simplified :wink: But there are several beefier ones.

CLoneWolf
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by CLoneWolf »

MC707 wrote:soo... anybody sat down and did some recording? I might do that myself after I format my box. oh and does anybody know a video editing software for Linux thats like windows movie maker?
I have no direct experience of video making on any platform so I can't say how good are these, but check them out

http://www.programmerfish.com/10-free-a ... eo-studio/

http://lunduke.com/?p=571

Take a look at the comments too, maybe someone has provided additional info.

HTH
MC707
Venturer
Venturer

Post by MC707 »

Thanx Clonewofl! should try 'em all as soon as I install kubuntu in my box.
My Machine: OS: Ubuntu 8.10 (intrepid) 64 bit in a 500GB Maxtor HD @ 7200 RPM, Windows Vista PsyChoses Edition 2009 32 bit in a 500GB Samsung HD @ 7200 RPM CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz GPU: nVidia GeForce 9400 GT @ 1024 MB RAM: 3891 MB
MC707
Venturer
Venturer

Post by MC707 »

Sorry to revive dead thread, but I just realized something: my account in youtube is exceptionally popular (especially for this video xD). Maybe I will post a vid in youtube, and you know what that means... a whole lotsa people for VS hell yeah!
Maxaxle
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Maxaxle »

*uberdupersuperultrahypernecrobump*
*brings up BandiCam*
I'll see if I can make a vid to inspire noobs (as I lost my old savegame by accident!)...
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

There's also a long standing request for cutscenes. Ie: scriptable engine-rendered action.

It's mostly a matter of immersiveness, somehow, cutscenes are more immersive than videos, since there's no discernable change in graphics quality. It's also a lot more... bandwidth friendly (since scripts are far smaller in size than videos).

So... I'd love a cutscene patch (or at least a series of patches going in that direction).
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
Maxaxle
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Maxaxle »

klauss wrote:There's also a long standing request for cutscenes. Ie: scriptable engine-rendered action.

It's mostly a matter of immersiveness, somehow, cutscenes are more immersive than videos, since there's no discernable change in graphics quality. It's also a lot more... bandwidth friendly (since scripts are far smaller in size than videos).

So... I'd love a cutscene patch (or at least a series of patches going in that direction).
Interesting idea, but let's not get ahead of ourselves. It needs to be planned carefully; we shouldn't have random attackers kill the player while a cutscene is playing, nor should we have a bunch of on-screen hostiles ignore each other for the sake of a conversation between the player and a character.
travists
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by travists »

May I sugest that such has options such as:
pause during play true/false
cut-scene type {pre-rendered, engine rendered flyby, engine rendered complex, dialog}
Pre-rendered clip (File type, file name, playback speed)
ERF (background, ship type, spec value, speed, in/out, clip length)
ERC (script file name)
dialog (script file name)
dialog could be quite interesting as it could launch missions, allow for double crosses, have more complex conversations, etc.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

ERF I'd imagine as specifying a curve in 4D for camera position, retaining all otherwise normal activity. So instead of all those parameters, ERF(unit, curvescript, timescale, spacescale, etc)

Not sure what you mean by dialogue, though.
Wing Commander Universe
travists
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by travists »

I see a dialog as an offshoot of cut-scenes. Rather than the standard communications or mission scripted communications that automatically come up you launch a python script that may or may not pause action that allows you to select replies that change the course of the conversation and possibly your game.
For example: you accept a bounty mission. When you get there they plead for their life; you can select "shut up and die" or "why should I spare you". the former causes them to defend themselves right away, the latter opens up new options to talk further. Eventually they offer to send you against those that sent you.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

I'd rather implement dialogues as "chatter state machines" on units - and all units would support it. The mission script would simply change the chatter state machine of the dialoging unit.
Wing Commander Universe
Maxaxle
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Maxaxle »

IMO, there should ALWAYS be four options when beginning a conversation:
-Klauss' "Shut up and die!" option (insta-hostile against other ship)
-"Dump your cargo and get outta here." (piracy; can result in hostility)
-"Let's talk this out." (bargaining/trade, perhaps just pleasant conversation; wrong options can cause hostility, specific options can defuse situation)
-"Forget this." (fly off)
travists
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by travists »

Too simplistic out of context. Simply declaring shut up and die could result in a variety of responses.

How much interest is there in more dynamic conversations? Enough to open a new thread?
Maxaxle
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Maxaxle »

travists wrote:Too simplistic out of context. Simply declaring shut up and die could result in a variety of responses.

How much interest is there in more dynamic conversations? Enough to open a new thread?
You have no idea how relieved I am to see you!You have no idea how relieved I am to see you!You have no idea how relieved I am to see you!You have no idea how relieved I am to see you!You have no idea how relieved I am to see you!You have no idea how relieved I am to see you!You have no idea how relieved I am to...
You have no idea.