Any music requests?

For collaboration between the different artists creating music and sound for vegastrike.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Yes, that's roughly the idea.

And it doesn't beat the point of disonances at all... it just washes them up. You, with midi tracks and all, can do a much finer job and wash them up just the right amount.

And there's a lot of art in those filters. Most of them (most notably the Harmonischer and "Compander Instrumental") are pure heuristics. I can't really separate the instruments, they're mixed up - but I can "psychoacoustically" separate them - make you think I've separated them. That's what I do, with a 20-liner. It's a well crafted 20-liner, though. The secret (not much of a secret) is to listen to the results, and if they're not convincing, tweak the algorithm. I have a natural talent for heuristics, not so much for deterministic processes. Perhaps that's my artist side showing.

Anyway, if you want the code (if you know C++) I can send it over. It's not secret or anything.

Edit: Oh... what do I do in RL?

First, I'm a CS major. I've been a CS major since I was 7 years old... with my Commodore 128 (Oh... the nostalgia).

Then, I work as programmer in a small company over here, that handles tax collection. I started out providing the security systems: a custom VPN and PKI implementation, since they couldn't import it - too much crap out there to rely on third parties. Since they trusted me (I know the president of the company), once they asked me to work on that and so I did. Now, in that regard, my specialty is cryptography. I've studied a lot of cryptography in the years I've worked for this company. My work basically is supervising those systems, which is most of the time slow-paced since I only intervene when something goes wrong. Some other times, I help the php devs out a little who are working on the main app (the one that needs the cryptography).

Finally, I have a small recording studio. It started out as a hobby, but soon I got some jobs and, well, here I am. Not much of equipment: a couple of good AKG mikes (2x C414, 2xC1000), a 4-track ADC and lots of software. I do my magic with software, mostly, since I lack the hardware. I've studied signal processing on my own just for kicks, since I enjoy it. I perform best not recording (although my limited music knowledge helps me do some serious recording), but restoring old recordings. That's where Orfeo comes from: those filters are mostly aimed at restoration - lots of noise reduction algorithms, to choose the best, decompression, fine-grain equalization (decoloring), etc...

So... that's me.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
kensuguro
Artisan
Artisan

Post by kensuguro »

wow, a cryptographer who decrypts and removes noise from old recordings.. Quite an interesting mix of jobs, makes sense in a strange way..

I guess I asked so I should follow with something about myself.. I'm a media arts major, or its equivalent in Japan. Studied lots of cinematography, computer music (intermediate level dsp stuff), and spent most of my time helping out with theater dance productions. From there I did some performances with a company of my own..

Somewhere along the line I did a collaboration with a friend and made an automatic techno machine with max/msp, and became interested in interactive audio and installations. Since then, the friend and I built a couple of prototypes, later creating a small company to market and distribute these installations. I've left the company in my friend's hands.

At the same time, I moved to Florida to persue a master's degree in music technology... but quit because the program wasn't really what I'd expected. So here I am now, trying to think of what to do next. I'm 26, married, and need a job. hehe.

So that's me.
Last edited by kensuguro on Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
zaydana
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by zaydana »

o0o o0o my turn!

<-- Bored student who seems to be able to make stuff in fruityloops that sounds good without any real musical knowledge :) Oh yeah... i guess i have a few yers on the piano n drums.
loki1950
The Shepherd

death screen theme ?

Post by loki1950 »

now that there is a beatiful death screen in cvs can we have a theme for the hag :(

Enjoy the Chice :)
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

What about Barber's adagio for strings? Ever since they used it in Nam, it has that defeat feeling attached to it. Of course... having someone perform it for us will be hard. And making a synthesizer perform it decently will be even harder. If I had good string samples, I could try. Anyone knows where I can get some good samples?
Wing Commander Universe
hurleybird
Elite
Elite

Post by hurleybird »

zaydana wrote:o0o o0o my turn!

<-- Bored student who seems to be able to make stuff in fruityloops that sounds good without any real musical knowledge :) Oh yeah... i guess i have a few yers on the piano n drums.
I'm in almost the same position as you, except I use reason, and I owe most of my feeble music creation to the reason tutorial CD :D

I've also played drums for most of my life. Did a couple years of piano.

Zay, you should try out reason. From what I hear, its not as easy as FL to learn, but is a lot more powerfull.

I havent been able to do any work lately, as midterms are hampering me down ATM.
zaydana
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by zaydana »

hmm, i did try reason once. Looked lots less powerful than FL tho at first glance. Maybe i should give it another shot sometime.

Barber's adagio... i'll have a look around for it. Synth Strings are my speciality, so i might be able to get something sounding decent.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Remember that the bass is tuned differently. I think one of the strings is tuned a whole tone (or half tone) below normal, to remove harmonics. That's very important in the overall sound. You should achieve something like that with a slight lowpass of that track.
Wing Commander Universe
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Just wondering how are things going in this front.
Wing Commander Universe
hurleybird
Elite
Elite

Post by hurleybird »

I cant speak for anyone else, but slowly for me. Need to get midterms out of the way.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

I know RL is unstoppable, but it would be a shame to loose the momentum.
Wing Commander Universe
CubOfJudahsLion
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by CubOfJudahsLion »

:shock: Whoa. That's a tremendous app. Viva el código hispanohablante.

Post by Guest »

Glad you like it.
Is the interface understandable? I wrote it mostly for personal use, so I didn't care much about the interface.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Erhm... That was me.
Damn those phpBB critical errors.
Wing Commander Universe

Post by Guest »

For anyone looking for spacy electronica inspiration, I've temporarily uploaded 3 songs in a zip file LikeChildren.zip. Band and album by same name, "Like Children", they were two former Mahavishnu Orchestra musicians. I blind-bought the album back in the 70's and it's one of the albums I miss the most; so far I've only been able to find these 3 mp3's from it. Of the three, the song called No Fear, I think, might be a fitting style for VS. Enjoy.
grendel0226
Merchant
Merchant

Post by grendel0226 »

First of all: Love the track with Pan pipes and beats.

Second: How about... well, it sounds stupid now, but "Midnight sonata" for the death girl? The blood relates to vampirism, witch in turn relates to "Midnight Sonata." Not sure if it's just personally for me, or if it has to do with pop culture in general (Faust or some other vampire/devil movie, possibly a game of some sort, I think).

Also, there's this remixed song that I LOVE that I found through illwillpress and one of the Foamy cartoons (rant about CD's) called "Son of a preacher man" that was free to download from the site, and I believe some of the remixes were under a GNU license (if not all). I could upload it if any are interested?