How about jamendo.com ?

For collaboration between the different artists creating music and sound for vegastrike.
TBeholder
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

How about jamendo.com ?

Post by TBeholder »

There's a lot of music, and CC-licensed at that.
edit: it provides download in ogg via torrents and streaming, but only mp3 for basic download mode.
Some of it, of course, is bound to be ambient.

Of what i already found - look at Pneuma by Electronic Noise Controller and Ambient Pills by Zeropage.
IMHO some fit the theme. As Rlaan seems to be "complicated and sometimes funny", e.g. Void Sensor for industrial bases or maybe Rlaan/Defender installations like a starfortress, and more relaxed Ambiose for other bases.
Last edited by TBeholder on Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Two Eyes Good, Eleven Eyes Better." -Michele Carter
Fendorin
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Re: How about jamendo.com ?

Post by Fendorin »

good you should make a selection list of what you think can match and post it right here with link??
www2
Venturer
Venturer
Location: milkyway->the sol system->earth->Europe->The Nederland->Soud Holland->Leiden

Post by www2 »

Note we can only use music listens under cc-by or cc-by-sa or older listens that are comply with the "Debian Free Software Guidelines".

see:
https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... Guidelines
http://www.debian.org/social_contract#guidelines
All Your Base Are Belong To Us
TBeholder
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by TBeholder »

Roger Subirana Mata - Some classic-like piano instrumentals, IMHO good for Purists, some quieter and ambient-ish like "Ancestral voices" (The Dark Symphony) could do nicely for space.

upd: "Doppler Shift" by klangwuerfel-records for Rlaan.
www2 wrote:Note we can only use music listens under cc-by or cc-by-sa or older listens that are comply with the "Debian Free Software Guidelines".

http://www.debian.org/social_contract#guidelines
Those that are distributed as a part of VS?
Because if it will be downloaded separately after the installation (say, an option in the main menu, with license notifications and all), by-nc-sa is enough, no?
This way it ends up attributed (including right in the "optional music files" list), not sold with a disk even if VS is, and not bundled into package released under different and broader license. Looks quite license-compliant to me. :) Heh, it's just played, not remixed - even by-nc-nd need not worry, right?
BTW, optional downloads/packages looks like a good idea... especially in the light of VS being already big and Ubuntu packs being broken in an attempt to make it small.
jasonkarllees
Explorer
Explorer

Post by jasonkarllees »

"Ancestral voices" does nice for space

http://www.jamendo.com/en/track/234002 this track by albert b suits a calm atmosphere in space
but its lisence is cc-by-nc-sa :|
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

That last one I'm not sure space, but I certainly see it fitting for in-base music.

However, I'm not sure if it's the track or my lousy speakers, but I hear it all saturated and with jumpy dynamics. We'd need a license that will allow us to fix that (ie: allow derivatives). cc-by-sa seems to allow us to do just that.

(doppler shift also seems nice, for a rlaan base)

EDIT: I can't download any of the files - it keeps saying "sorry, the file isn't available for download yet - try again".
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
jasonkarllees
Explorer
Explorer

Post by jasonkarllees »

i can download the files and i think its your speakers i dont hear jumpy dynamics. maybe not space but i see it suites a planet
TBeholder
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by TBeholder »

Doc - Songs of Vastness; there are other cool ambients that may be eligible, like Sphinx and Souls singles.
djbluefog - mostly Kosmisches Kraftwerk (heh).
klauss wrote:EDIT: I can't download any of the files - it keeps saying "sorry, the file isn't available for download yet - try again".
Jamendo needs Javascript to get files right from there (not via torrent), otherwise it's "Please wait while we prepare your download..." forever. They use download queues, after all. Rarely clogged, though, i was 5th only once so far. Streaming was always good, anyway.
For exploration purpose i'd recommend Totem, it comes with ready Jamendo plugin that can search by tags, not just artists.
CptCLyde
Just a tourist with a frag'd nav console

Post by CptCLyde »

First off: I love the game, keep up the great work guys!
Secondly, I would like to propose some music for the game. I lately have been just turning off the sound and listening to Rena Jones' stuff (http://music.renamusic.com/album/indras-web) while playing. It's very "spacey" music and I like the atmosphere it creates and I got thinking that maybe others would too.
So I emailed Rena and she may be interested in releasing some music for the game.
Not sure if it matches the game designers' intended atmosphere, but I for one would love to see some of this stuff make it into the game.

Some specific tracks I find quite suiting are:
-Indra's Web
-Point of Existance
-Helix

NOTE: I am not affiliated with Rena Jones in any way.... just a new fan.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

@CptCLyde: Seems to have a closed license. Won't work for us that way, since we have to be able to redistribute the tracks.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
CptCLyde

Post by CptCLyde »

Aw dang. Sorry for that, I'm not very knowledgable about such things.
Thanks for looking into it though.
www2
Venturer
Venturer
Location: milkyway->the sol system->earth->Europe->The Nederland->Soud Holland->Leiden

Post by www2 »

Also a idea that we can use all so archive.org for music.
TBeholder
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by TBeholder »

These were intended as game music:
Masami Komuro - Seibu no Jakuten Musics. In the style close to battle1.ogg and battle2.ogg :D
remaxim - Soundtrack for Thousand Parsec Vol.1, First
Delectable Mosquito and the radioactive dreams - The machines are alive (heh). Also, Intergalactic mininig facility (double heh).

Lamax - ambient (again, a lot is space-themed),
Dendroid
Our Ceasing Voice - some tracks
Lemon Head - Analog Virtual Systems,
ieatpants (no, seriously) - pant full of dollars and some tracks from Tanz der Lemons.
Fabio Keiner - a good choice (ephemeral whispers, Evening Invocations, Glass Songs, meditations, pulsations, SEVEN DRONES, slow movements, windsongs) - some are slight variations of the same, some aren't.
Val - Deep

Helarkon - Circumstellar Orbit
C.J.ROGERS - albums tagged as ambient/soundtrack and a few other tracks.
Hu-Man (very good ambient).
Darren Lock - look at The B Team, Heavy on the Magick, Start, Textures, Soundscaper III - Empty Spaces, Make It Up as You Go Along, some from A Pocketful of Stars.
Bernadette Erikka - Eye.
AlFa - Tracks in the snow, Nuance Khaki, Fiber Lily - hardly a generic flight ambient, but it's not like there's weren't places where strange, but cool instrumentals are required (what with aliens and weird cultures).
Robert James - several albums of instrumentals on hawaiian guitar.
bessoltsev
Sergiuss
Val
Infocalypse - check "Raygun Gothic" and "THEM". Specifically, "Fiona X" perfectly fits as background in a busy spaceport.
Last edited by TBeholder on Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
travists
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by travists »

Just got directed to this by Turbo Beholder. Late to the party, but I hope someone is still around. If we are talking about what music works where, it is likely to come up with nearly as many answers as there are players. To that end could the game code handle an in-flight music override folder? I have tried to add my own music following hints from others with mixed results. One problem is the game doesn't play mp3s, the other is what folder to put it in. Actually as I'm thinking about it, a Python music setup program would work just as well, if not better, than changing the code to check for an override folder.
TBeholder
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by TBeholder »

travists wrote:To that end could the game code handle an in-flight music override folder?
Playlist have a relative path, so... I guess it can be something like "../music.ex1/Aural Night/Voyage/01 - Dawn at Sea.ogg". It look like absent tracks are safely skipped, so no reason to bother and juggle playlists pack by pack.
travists wrote:I have tried to add my own music following hints from others with mixed results. One problem is the game doesn't play mp3s,
Yes, but specifically Jamendo has hi-fi mode in OGG, as torrent (here is a problem, since Jamendo itself, strangely, does not seed, thus torrent health varies), streams and maybe it's somehow possible to just download like this, but i have no clear idea how.
travists wrote: the other is what folder to put it in. Actually as I'm thinking about it, a Python music setup program would work just as well, if not better, than changing the code to check for an override folder.
I thought the same, but since VS main menu is already Python based, well... :)
greenfreedom10
Hunter
Hunter

Post by greenfreedom10 »

In case it helps, if you want to get a zip file of OGGs for an album (from Jamendo through HTTP), just load the album page and then run this javascript:

Code: Select all

javascript:var current = location.href;var pattern = new RegExp('[^0-9]', '');current = current.replace('http://www.jamendo.com/','');current = current.replace('/album/','');current = current.replace(pattern,'');location.href= 'http://www.jamendo.com/get/album/id/album/archiverestricted/redirect/'+current+'/?are=ogg3';
It is great that the OGGs exist; I have no idea why Jamendo does not provide a link to them.
travists
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by travists »

My thinking with using mp3 (not distributing them just reading them) and a playlist editor is so the player can add his/her own music into the game easily. Converting mp3 to ogg then hunting down which playlist you are hearing is doable, but a pain.
TBeholder
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by TBeholder »

greenfreedom10 wrote:

Code: Select all

javascript:var current = location.href;var pattern = new RegExp('[^0-9]', '');current = current.replace('http://www.jamendo.com/','');current = current.replace('/album/','');current = current.replace(pattern,'');location.href= 'http://www.jamendo.com/get/album/id/album/archiverestricted/redirect/'+current+'/?are=ogg3';
Ha, it works. Thanks, added this to bookmarks; downloaded some on my dry torrent list (and unpacked right there, so they're seeding).
greenfreedom10 wrote: It is great that the OGGs exist; I have no idea why Jamendo does not provide a link to them.
As i see it, OGG are bigger and J's already heavily loaded. The problem is that OGG were supposed to go via torrents and torrents don't work well.
travists wrote:My thinking with using mp3 (not distributing them just reading them)
I don't know whether it works at all, but theoretically weapons have Appearance/soundmp3 attribute, so it's somewhere there. But a lot already comes in OGG, including jamendo but not limited to it.
travists wrote:and a playlist editor is so the player can add his/her own music into the game easily. Converting mp3 to ogg then hunting down which playlist you are hearing is doable, but a pain.
Uh, don't all players with GUI include playlist editors? As to the rest, as long as included / extra music is delivered and playlist are set up, more specific tinkering is up to the user anyway.
travists
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by travists »

Well, Windows Media Player does, wrong player I think. Player as in person. Playlist is just a text file(can edit by hand if needed), big question is which of the dozen or so playlists is active? (I think there is at least three each of battle, peace, and :? the other main one.)

More music = good
Customizable music = better
In game or in set up custom music = :mrgreen: GREAT :mrgreen:
www2
Venturer
Venturer

Post by www2 »

travists wrote:Well, Windows Media Player does, wrong player I think. Player as in person. Playlist is just a text file(can edit by hand if needed), big question is which of the dozen or so playlists is active? (I think there is at least three each of battle, peace, and :? the other main one.)

More music = good
Customizable music = better
In game or in set up custom music = :mrgreen: GREAT :mrgreen:
True.

And we can make a download script for the jamendo with contane all the music (a free (cc-by or cc-by-sa) and non free version (oder cc lisents))
but besite ouwer soundtrack and jamendo we can use older internet servers and the user libary.