Pronounciation of alien names

For collaboration between the different artists creating music and sound for vegastrike.
Turbo
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Pronounciation of alien names

Post by Turbo »

A lot of the alien races have odd spellings and we're trying to record news broadcasts, so if the devs can tell us the preferred way to say these names, it would be appreciated. Otherwise we'll make something up and live with it:

Aera -- we already have dozens of voice items that pronounce it "AIR-uh"
Dgn -- CLoneWolf said "DIG-un" in the LIHW recordings so I hope that's okay
Klk'k -- is that "CLICK-k" with 2 syllables?
Rlaan -- depending on the linguistic roots intended, this could be "er-LAWN" or "er-LORN" or the 'R could be silent as in "LAWN" or "LORN" or it could be some other thing
Shmrm -- I'm going to guess this one is "shmurm" and would rhyme with 'worm'?
Uln -- our newscaster is going somewhere between "uhln" and "OOln" so I hope that's okay

Separately from that, we still have not decided on a solution for alien names being read by news reporters. Do we play the actual alien name in its native language, or should the news caster provide a translated version of the name? It would not be possible for a human news anchor to speak Rlaan since there aren't enough mouths, so having the news caster try to say it in her own voice won't work in all cases.
Last edited by Turbo on Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Turbo

There are two speeds in combat: stopped, and as fast as you can go. Unless you run into something, going fast keeps you alive more often than stopping.
CLoneWolf
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Re: Pronounciation of alien names

Post by CLoneWolf »

IMHO, translated proper names have 2 advantages: no trouble pronouncing them, and more meaning conveyed in news or radio chats, like for Leafblighter; but surely we need canon directions on the race names; for the Dgn I followed the proposed suggestions, but they didn't come from the M.O.I.