ISO and Purist Voice Acting

For collaboration between the different artists creating music and sound for vegastrike.
ShadowOblivion
Merchant
Merchant

ISO and Purist Voice Acting

Post by ShadowOblivion »

I figure this is the best place to post this, to give a heads up on what I'm doing. Let me know if I'm supposed to make the posts on the wiki page myself.

I just want to let everybody know that I'm approaching completion of my ISO recordings(meant as practice/addition to MC707's work), and they will be uploaded later this week(They'll be up by Friday). Next I plan to do recordings for the Purist faction, which will be completed in two weeks(I just bought a great microphone) time.
The signal is calling! Our planet is falling!
CLoneWolf
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Re: ISO and Purist Voice Acting

Post by CLoneWolf »

ShadowOblivion wrote:I figure this is the best place to post this, to give a heads up on what I'm doing.
Right place indeed, and thanks a lot for contributing! :D
ShadowOblivion wrote:Let me know if I'm supposed to make the posts on the wiki page myself.
The posts about faction status update? Sure, feel free to; the wiki is free and strong, since it even survived small changes made by someone who had never touched a wiki page before... :roll:
ShadowOblivion wrote:I just want to let everybody know that I'm approaching completion of my ISO recordings(meant as practice/addition to MC707's work), and they will be uploaded later this week(They'll be up by Friday). Next I plan to do recordings for the Purist faction, which will be completed in two weeks(I just bought a great microphone) time.
Great! Let us know if you want or need help with post production following Turbo's guidelines.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Hopefully MC707 will back from his vacation then.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
Psycodeine
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Psycodeine »

I can help with post-production, this entire week is pretty much free for me.
--
Psycodeine / Code 57
Soundcloud
ShadowOblivion
Merchant
Merchant

Post by ShadowOblivion »

Thanks for the offer, Psycodeine, but this is something I'd like to do myself entirely. I won't hold back asking for something if I need it, though :twisted: .
ShadowOblivion
Merchant
Merchant

Post by ShadowOblivion »

Processing complete, upload(24MB) will commence in the next two days.
ShadowOblivion
Merchant
Merchant

Post by ShadowOblivion »

I've completed the entire production of the ISO faction's transmissions. Unfortunately, I have encountered problems uploading it to Turbo's site, but once things get sorted out the upload will be done. I'll also begin the Purist Recordings this weekend.
CLoneWolf
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by CLoneWolf »

What kind of problems? I tested Turbo's site right after he announced its availability and all worked fine, but I haven't used it since. Hmm... trying now both via browser and command line ftp, and failing...
In case, you might email it all to me in <4MB chunks and I can host it on my web space at least temporarily.
ShadowOblivion
Merchant
Merchant

Post by ShadowOblivion »

Thanks, CLoneWolf, I'll do that tomorrow(Aug 03).
CLoneWolf
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by CLoneWolf »

ShadowOblivion wrote:Thanks, CLoneWolf, I'll do that tomorrow(Aug 03).
Good, you can reach me at the address I sent you by PM; by the way, did you also edit the iso.xml file accordingly?
CLoneWolf
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by CLoneWolf »

Ze comrades! :shock:

Clean recordings:
http://olografix.org/groucho/vs/ISO01.zip

Radio-like sample with the standard "Turbo Sequence"
http://olografix.org/groucho/vs/by_orde ... -radio.ogg

Enjoy! And thanks to Shadow Oblivion for contributing; once MC707 is back and posts his version, it'll be an interesting competition :mrgreen:
ShadowOblivion
Merchant
Merchant

Post by ShadowOblivion »

Alright, I'll be starting my Purist recordings within a few days. There are a few delays due to personal life issues.
ShadowOblivion
Merchant
Merchant

Post by ShadowOblivion »

Make that an additional week...
Turbo
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Turbo »

Hi people!

I'm more or less set up in my new place now, learning the new job, and aside from some mouse issues (today I'm using my 3rd mouse in a week) am operational again. I am so glad that the work continued in my absence, that's the best compliment I could get.

The ISO voice sounds great. Let us know if you need any help with the XML or whatever. Who is available to commit the work to SVN? I just ran an update, the first since May for me, and only one file changed in all that time. :(

My FTP share at ftp://ftp.willadsenfamily.org/VSvoice seems to be intact and I have not changed the password. There is only about 10 MB of stuff in there, so no quota issues either. But, I am unable to pull the logs, so something is going on and I will investigate further.
Turbo

There are two speeds in combat: stopped, and as fast as you can go. Unless you run into something, going fast keeps you alive more often than stopping.
CLoneWolf
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by CLoneWolf »

Turbo wrote:Hi people!
Welcome back! :D
Turbo wrote:I am so glad that the work continued in my absence, that's the best compliment I could get.
That, or we're a bunch of narcisists who want to be heard worldwide. :mrgreen:
Turbo wrote:The ISO voice sounds great. Let us know if you need any help with the XML or whatever. Who is available to commit the work to SVN? I just ran an update, the first since May for me, and only one file changed in all that time. :(
Well, to keep you busy while the SVN node is resolved (and not jumped! ;) ) you might want to review all the recordings and post your personal favs for each sentence like you did for the Shapers, so the lazy post-producer will be grateful. ;)
Turbo
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Turbo »

[quote="CLoneWolf]That, or we're a bunch of narcisists who want to be heard worldwide. :mrgreen: [/quote]
Either one is good.
[quote="CLoneWolf]Well, to keep you busy while the SVN node is resolved (and not jumped! ;) ) you might want to review all the recordings and post your personal favs for each sentence like you did for the Shapers, so the lazy post-producer will be grateful. ;)[/quote]
Will do. I have a couple of other projects in the queue ahead of this, but this won't take long once I get to it.

To brag for a moment, I upgraded my work area last night. I can now use my home computer while sitting in a recliner chair, keyboard on lap, track ball on the chair arm, with a double-armed monitor stand lifting both monitors (a 19" and 18", each one 4-5 years old) off the desk to less than arm's length from me while I'm in the chair. It's very comfy and provides great immersion when playing games. Now we just need VS to support a second monitor, for example to put the nav computer interface in a separate window.
Turbo

There are two speeds in combat: stopped, and as fast as you can go. Unless you run into something, going fast keeps you alive more often than stopping.
CLoneWolf
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by CLoneWolf »

Turbo wrote:Will do. I have a couple of other projects in the queue ahead of this, but this won't take long once I get to it.
Cool, thanks :)
Turbo wrote:To brag for a moment, I upgraded my work area last night. I can now use my home computer while sitting in a recliner chair, keyboard on lap, track ball on the chair arm, with a double-armed monitor stand lifting both monitors (a 19" and 18", each one 4-5 years old) off the desk to less than arm's length from me while I'm in the chair. It's very comfy and provides great immersion when playing games. Now we just need VS to support a second monitor, for example to put the nav computer interface in a separate window.
Next immersion step being propagation of force feedback from the joystick to the whole chair ;)
Turbo
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Turbo »

CLoneWolf wrote:Clean recordings:
http://olografix.org/groucho/vs/ISO01.zip
Here are my favorites (for those that had more than one to choose from):

affirmitive2: friendliest
by-order-of2: can't say why but I like it
cut-me-some4: others are too slow
docking-agreement: I like them both
docking-denied: can you do another one a bit more angry?
docking-complete2
docking-begun2
good-to-see4
help-help2
how-can-you-attack2: the writers used this phrase for several situations, not sure why, but this one was the best
how-is-it-going4: casual, but not too slow
just_a_travelling_worker4
not_bad_for4
please_dont_make_us: all these were great, but also different, and I liked this one best
power_to_the_people2: this one sounds like he believes it
the_proletariat_will_rise
trotsky_would_spit2
unable_to_comply2
we_are_only_after3
you_are_carrying_contraband
you_are_not_in_docking3: this guy sounds a bit frustrated, I like it
you_maniac_the_union: shouldn't he sound more angry?
your_course_is_deviating2
your_hold_contained_no_items2

For all of them, I recommend running noise removal, clipping silence at each end, and amplifying each one until the loudest part is at full volume. Do you need help on creating the XML files?

While I was out, did we get someone who can commit these to SVN? I recall that Pyramid left but is there someone else to put these into the game? I hate to see all this work sitting on our hard drives, but not the hard drives of all the players.
Turbo

CLoneWolf
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by CLoneWolf »

Thank you, the lazy post-producer will be on it asap! :D
ShadowOblivion, you can send me eventual further recordings, as per Turbo's suggestions, at the same address.
Turbo wrote:For all of them, I recommend running noise removal, clipping silence at each end, and amplifying each one until the loudest part is at full volume. Do you need help on creating the XML files?
The lazy guy told me he can take care of the xml as well, after stripping the numbers from the chosen takes :)
Turbo wrote:While I was out, did we get someone who can commit these to SVN? I recall that Pyramid left but is there someone else to put these into the game? I hate to see all this work sitting on our hard drives, but not the hard drives of all the players.
I'm >100% sure there's at least someone else with the commit bit on the SVN (coders for sure), we just saw no one stating availability for content commits so far.

*EDIT*
Here comes a draft with all the chosen sentences, treated with 1 pass of "Turbo's filters", a 2nd one can be applied if needed, for more radio effect.
http://olografix.org/groucho/vs/isodraft.zip
Turbo
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Turbo »

Awesome, thanks.

I don't think we need to seek a "radio effect" at this point. If all the players had excellent sound cards, quality 5.1 speakers, and good hearing, it might be worth doing. But since the only talking in the game is ship-to-ship communication the "radio effect" is not yet needed for the player to instantly tell communication from other sounds -- if there's talking, it's another ship saying it. And, it is easy to degrade the signal later if required, and better that we have the good originals on hand now.
Turbo

CLoneWolf
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by CLoneWolf »

True, but I still like some radio effect for the sake of immersion feeling... :mrgreen:
(Besides, a little degradation can help saving some bytes, I'm a bit worried about the content size increase we're causing... :roll: )
Anyway, of course, I still have all the masters, mine and contributed, I've worked on so far; hmmmm, masters... SVN has a dedicated section for masters, should we hint at having our original takes committed too?
Turbo
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Turbo »

CLoneWolf,

I was updating the XLM so I could test the voices and commit them to SVN, and realized the ZIP file is missing 3 lines:

You maniac! The union will hear about this.
Docking denied. Do not land here, comrade!
Die, lackey of the masters!

If you can locate and post those 3 lines in another ZIP file, then we can test these and get them into the game. Thanks!

If anyone wants to help with testing, here is the XML as it currently stands:

Code: Select all

<comm>
	<node text="startingNode" relationship="0"><!-- node 0 (starting node: Don't link here)-->
		<edge index="1"/>
		<edge index="2"/>
		<edge index="3"/>
	</node>

<!-- Starting Points -->
	<node text="How's it going comrade?" relationship="0.2"><!-- node 1 (very happy)-->
<sound file="communications/sounds/iso/iso_how-is-it-going.ogg" sex="0"/>
		<edge index="4"/>
		<edge index="5"/>
		<edge index="6"/>
	</node>
	<node text="Cut me some slack, will you?" relationship="0"><!-- node 2 (neutral)-->
<sound file="communications/sounds/iso/iso_cut-me-some.ogg" sex="0"/>
		<edge index="8"/>
		<edge index="9"/>
		<edge index="10"/>
	</node>
	<node text="Don't touch me you capitalist swine!" relationship="-.2"><!-- node 3 (very mad)-->
<sound file="communications/sounds/iso/iso_dont-touch-me.ogg" sex="0"/>
		<edge index="12"/>
		<edge index="13"/>
		<edge index="14"/>
	</node>
<!-- End of Starting Points -->

<!-- Other Nodes -->

<node text="How's it going comrade?" relationship=".03125"><!-- node 4(random good chatter)-->
<sound file="communications/sounds/iso/iso_how-is-it-going.ogg" sex="0"/>
		<edge index="4"/>
		<edge index="5"/>
	</node>
	<node text="Good to see a friend of the cause." relationship=".0625"><!-- node 5 (random good chatter)-->
<sound file="communications/sounds/iso/iso_good-to-see.ogg" sex="0"/>
		<edge index="4"/>
		<edge index="6"/>
	</node>
	<node text="The proletariate will rise!" relationship=".0625"><!-- node 6 (best node)-->
<sound file="communications/sounds/iso/iso_the-proletariat-will-rise.ogg" sex="0"/>
		<edge index="5"/>
		<edge index="6"/>
	</node>
	<node text="We're only after corporate lackeys, don't get nervous." relationship="-.03125"><!-- node 7 (hit while happy)-->
<sound file="communications/sounds/iso/iso_we-are-only-after.ogg" sex="0"/>
		<edge index="4"/>
		<edge index="8"/>
		<edge index="9"/>
		<edge index="10"/>
	</node>
	<node text="Cut me some slack will you?" relationship=".03125"><!-- node 8 (random neutral chatter)-->
<sound file="communications/sounds/iso/iso_cut-me-some.ogg" sex="0"/>
		<edge index="9"/>
		<edge index="10"/>
	</node>
	<node text="Power to the people, comrade." relationship=".04125"><!-- node 9 (neutral node after he has decided to be nicer after conflict)-->
<sound file="communications/sounds/iso/iso_power-to-the-people.ogg" sex="0"/>
		<edge index="8"/>
		<edge index="10"/>
	</node>
	<node text="Just a travelling worker don't get jumpy." relationship=".03125"><!-- node 10 (good node in neutral) -->
<sound file="communications/sounds/iso/iso_just-a-travelling-worker.ogg" sex="0"/>
		<edge index="8"/>
		<edge index="9"/>
	</node>
	<node text="Please don't make us your enemy, comrade." relationship="-.125"><!-- node 11 (got hit when neutral)-->
<sound file="communications/sounds/iso/iso_please-dont-make-us.ogg" sex="0"/>
		<edge index="9"/>
		<edge index="12"/>
		<edge index="13"/>
		<edge index="14"/>
	</node>
	<node text="Trotsky would spit upon your grave." relationship="-.0625"><!-- node 12 (taunt)-->
<sound file="communications/sounds/iso/iso_trotsky-would-spit.ogg" sex="0"/>
		<edge index="13"/>
		<edge index="15"/>
		<edge index="19"/>
	</node>
	<node text="You maniac! The union will hear about this." relationship="-.125"><!-- node 13 (taunt)-->
<sound file="communications/sounds/iso/.ogg" sex="0"/>
		<edge index="12"/>
		<edge index="15"/>
		<edge index="19"/>
	</node>
	<node text="Not bad for a lowly worker, eh capitalist pig?" relationship="-.0625"><!-- node 14 (trying to appease him, but failing)-->
<sound file="communications/sounds/iso/iso_not-bad-for.ogg" sex="0"/>
		<edge index="8"/>
		<edge index="12"/>
		<edge index="13"/>
		<edge index="14"/>
	</node>
	<node text="How can you attack a member of the party?" relationship="-.0625"><!-- node 15 hit while mad node-->
<sound file="communications/sounds/iso/iso_how-can-you-attack.ogg" sex="0"/>
		<edge index="11"/>
		<edge index="13"/>
		<edge index="12"/>
		<edge index="19"/>
	</node>
	<node text="Not bad for a lowly worker, eh capitalist pig?" relationship="-.0625"><!-- node 16 kill-->
		<edge index="12"/>
		<edge index="13"/>
		<edge index="17"/>
		<edge index="19"/>
	</node>
	<node text="Serves you right you corporate whore!" relationship="-.0625"><!-- node 17 kill-->
<sound file="communications/sounds/iso/iso_serves-you-right-you.ogg" sex="0"/>
		<edge index="12"/>
		<edge index="13"/>
		<edge index="16"/>
		<edge index="19"/>
	</node>
	<node text="How can you attack a member of the Party?" relationship="-.03125"><!-- node 18 (trying to appease, but failing)-->
		<edge index="9"/>
		<edge index="12"/>
		<edge index="13"/>
		<edge index="14"/>
	</node>	
	<node text="You maniac! The union will hear about this." relationship="-.125"><!-- node 19 (taunt)-->
		<edge index="12"/>
		<edge index="13"/>
		<edge index="14"/>
	</node>

<!-- Built-in Conversations --> 
	<node text="Docking operation complete. You're free of the docking clamps." relationship="0.01">
<sound file="communications/sounds/iso/iso_docking-operation-complete.ogg" sex="0"/>
		<edge index="4"/>
		<edge index="5"/>
		<edge index="6"/>
		<edge index="7"/>
	</node>
	<node text="You are not in docking clamps. Move into one of the green guide boxes and try to dock again." relationship="0">
<sound file="communications/sounds/iso/iso_you-are-not-in-docking.ogg" sex="0"/>
		<edge index="8"/>
		<edge index="9"/>
		<edge index="10"/>
		<edge index="11"/>
	</node>
	<node text="Docking Operation begun; press 0 to step into airlock." relationship="0">
<sound file="communications/sounds/iso/iso_docking-operation-begun.ogg" sex="0"/>
		<edge index="8"/>
		<edge index="9"/>
		<edge index="10"/>
		<edge index="11"/>
	</node>		
	<node text="Docking denied. Do not land here, comrade!" relationship="0">
		<edge index="8"/>
		<edge index="9"/>
		<edge index="10"/>
		<edge index="11"/>
	</node>		
	<node text="Docking agreement reached: move to docking port in green indicators." relationship="0">
<sound file="communications/sounds/iso/iso_docking-agreement.ogg" sex="0"/>
		<edge index="8"/>
		<edge index="9"/>
		<edge index="10"/>
		<edge index="11"/>
	</node>		
	<node text="Unable to comply, comrade." relationship="0">
<sound file="communications/sounds/iso/iso_unable-to-comply.ogg" sex="0"/>
		<edge index="8"/>
		<edge index="9"/>
		<edge index="10"/>
		<edge index="11"/>
	</node>		
	<node text="Affirmative, comrade." relationship="0">
<sound file="communications/sounds/iso/iso_affirmative-comrade.ogg" sex="0"/>
		<edge index="4"/>
		<edge index="5"/>
		<edge index="6"/>
		<edge index="7"/>
	</node>		
	<node text="By order of the Party and the People you are being searched." relationship="0"> <!-- maintain speed and course -->
<sound file="communications/sounds/iso/iso_by-order-of-the-party.ogg" sex="0"/>
		<edge index="8"/>
		<edge index="9"/>
		<edge index="10"/>
	</node>
	<node text="Your hold contained no items dangerous to the people." relationship="0"> <!-- no contraband detected you may proceed -->
<sound file="communications/sounds/iso/iso_your-hold-contained-no-items.ogg" sex="0"/>
		<edge index="8"/>
		<edge index="9"/>
		<edge index="10"/>
	</node>
	<node text="You are carrying contraband that goes against the will of the people!" relationship="-.125"> <!-- contraband detected! all units close and engage -->
<sound file="communications/sounds/iso/iso_you-are-carrying-contraband.ogg" sex="0"/>
		<edge index="12"/>
		<edge index="13"/>
		<edge index="14"/>
	</node>
	<node text="Your course is deviating. Maintain course, comrade!" relationship="0"> <!-- maintain your speed and course...DO NOT deviate -->
<sound file="communications/sounds/iso/iso_your-course-is-deviating.ogg" sex="0"/>
		<edge index="8"/>
		<edge index="9"/>
		<edge index="10"/>
	</node>	
	<node text="Request Clearance To Land." relationship="0"> 
<sound file="communications/sounds/iso/iso_request-clearance.ogg" sex="0"/>
		<edge index="8"/>
		<edge index="9"/>
		<edge index="10"/>
	</node>	
	<node text="Not bad for a lowly worker, eh capitalist pig?" relationship="-.0625"><!-- node damaged target-->
		<edge index="12"/>
		<edge index="13"/>
		<edge index="14"/>
		<edge index="15"/>
	</node>
	<node text="Serves you right, you corporate whore!" text1="Die, lackey of the masters!" relationship="-.0625"><!-- node killed target-->
<sound file="communications/sounds/iso/iso_serves-you-right-you.ogg" sex="0"/>
		<edge index="12"/>
		<edge index="13"/>
		<edge index="14"/>
		<edge index="15"/>
	</node>
	<node text="Help! Help! I'm being oppressed." text1="How can you attack a member of the party?" relationship="-.0625"><!-- node damaged target-->
<sound file="communications/sounds/iso/iso_help-help.ogg" sex="0"/>
		<edge index="12"/>
		<edge index="13"/>
		<edge index="14"/>
		<edge index="15"/>
	</node>
	<node text="*hit*" relationship="-.01">
		<edge index="7"/>
		<edge index="11"/>
		<edge index="15"/>
	</node>

<!-- End of Built-in Conversations --> 
</comm>
Turbo

CLoneWolf
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by CLoneWolf »

Ouch! Sorry for the inconvenience :|
I'll check it later today once I'm at home; hopefully it was just me skipping them, or we might have to pull the shadow of ShadowOblivion out of oblivion and get them done :roll:

EDIT: reading the feedback list above reminded me that 2 of those 3 were kept out by me as you were suggesting angrier remakes; I'll post them anyway in case we can't get them redone. As for the 3rd one, it might have been a single take, so there was no choice to comment upon, and I ended up skipping it, lousy me... :mrgreen:
Last edited by CLoneWolf on Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Turbo
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Turbo »

No problem. We were without SVN access for so long, I just want to get caught up. I realize that MC707 was also working on ISO voices in a separate thread, but yours seem to be further along.

Once we can get multiple voices into a faction, we could use both. I'm not sure how to do that, but PU and PGG do it so I know it's possible.
Turbo

CLoneWolf
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by CLoneWolf »

OK, further update on the issue:
here are the 3 "docking denied" and the "you maniac" I had left out in case of reworking; as for the missing "Die" one, I see it's a text1 which brings up an issue I noticed long ago and might have left unmentioned:
for the Andolians I recorded also the "text1" sentences, the xml got modified accordingly; but in game, when their text1 appeared, the corresponding voice wasn't played.
No biggie if the text1 lines were a sort of design forethought that then got abandoned, but if it's just a bug that will be fixed or something for which support is planned, we'll have to contact ShadowOblivion for a little extra work; for good measure, I'd advice all the next faction voice actors to record the text1 lines as well for good measure...

As for multiple voice sets, I guess that for each spawned ship a random pilot from the ones available is chosen and assigned; the voice sets are in sibling subfolders (or the file names properly prefixed) and the ship pilot value is used to pick the corresponding set.

But that's just my guess, and a better guess is that Chuck's the one who knows, or at least he knows who knows :)