Aera ship-to-ship speech comms

For collaboration between the different artists creating music and sound for vegastrike.
CLoneWolf
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Re: Aera ship-to-ship speech comms

Post by CLoneWolf »

Turbo wrote:I have no idea how to pronounce "Dgn" but I can answer the second one: "dueling banjos" is a traditional song in the countryside of the USA, far away from the cities. You can listen to it for free at http://www.mp3-center.org/download_mp3/ ... os/9795400 but we probably need to get permission before including any particular copy of the song in the game. The most famous and recognizable part of the song, to stay within the time limits of VegaStrike ship-to-ship communications, is from 0:48 to 0:58 on the song's timeline.
As for performers' rights, you're right about need of permission for inclusion; but if the original song itself is traditional, there's the chance it might be performed freely, and if that's the case, maybe the pilot is not supposed to play it via the ship stereo but to "sing" it mimicking the banjo with their voice (for a tiny bit of comic relief, I suppose :) )
Not to mention the fact I could compose the snippet on a MIDI editor with a banjo sound and record it; also in that case, I'd be the performer and there would be no rights problems.
Turbo wrote:However, I am running SVN update right now and notice that Pyramid implemented subfolders for each faction's voices. So tonight I am just going to play and seek out the Andolians and Aera so I can hear them talk.
Great! Let me know how they fit the game, and by the way, here's the new version of the joke line, tell me if that's ok so I'll update the whole zip as well at the previous address.
http://olografix.org/groucho/vs/andolia ... iserve.ogg

Edit: exploiting unplanned tranquility at home, I've done a test recording for LIHW (not citizen), excluding the 2 aforementioned pending lines; this is totally raw, dirty and unprocessed, I'll give it the right treatments if it gets approved.
http://olografix.org/groucho/vs/lihwfullrec.ogg

This below is a single sentence, treated with the 2 passages of filters by Turbo; if you think it's already enough radio-like, we could use it as a standard radio filtering base.
http://olografix.org/groucho/vs/lihwtest2pass.ogg
Last edited by CLoneWolf on Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rivalin
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by rivalin »

Turbo wrote:My only trip to Holland was in 1993, so I don't particularly remember what Dutch sounds like.
I meant the stuff by Clonewolf; it could be German or something ? but it's very strongly accented. To a native English speaker it's by far the most notable thing about the recordings, so if the same accent pops up in the voices for more than one faction people would pick up on it.
CLoneWolf
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by CLoneWolf »

rivalin wrote:I meant the stuff by Clonewolf; it could be German or something ? but it's very strongly accented. To a native English speaker it's by far the most notable thing about the recordings, so if the same accent pops up in the voices for more than one faction people would pick up on it.
You're unluckily right about the distinctively non-native accent I mentioned before I started recording :/ I'm Italian, and considering how easy it is to spot me no matter how much I alter my voice naturally and/or with effects, we really do need more voice actors!

...I could always bribe the Ministry of Information to insert some canon background about a human who made a big business with translator devices for alien races, and liked his own voice so much that he put it on all the devices he could... ;)
rivalin
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by rivalin »

CLoneWolf wrote:
rivalin wrote:I meant the stuff by Clonewolf; it could be German or something ? but it's very strongly accented. To a native English speaker it's by far the most notable thing about the recordings, so if the same accent pops up in the voices for more than one faction people would pick up on it.
You're unluckily right about the distinctively non-native accent I mentioned before I started recording :/ I'm Italian, and considering how easy it is to spot me no matter how much I alter my voice naturally and/or with effects, we really do need more voice actors!

...I could always bribe the Ministry of Information to insert some canon background about a human who made a big business with translator devices for alien races, and liked his own voice so much that he put it on all the devices he could... ;)
Well you certainly do a good job of not sounding Italian, I could have sworn it was English being spoken by someone from Holland or Scandinavia. Anyway, ideally we should really have a different person for every faction dialogue. I know highborne's already been brought up, but I'll volunteer to have a crack at it, as I think it would sound a bit better with an English accent than an American one (or worse an American putting on an English one :D )
Fendorin
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by Fendorin »

If you need French Accent for..... for who??? which faction could be French accent speaking ??

ULN????
Deus Siddis
Elite
Elite

Post by Deus Siddis »

Fendorin wrote:If you need French Accent for..... for who??? which faction could be French accent speaking ??

ULN????
As loki suggested, perhaps the Highborn.
Fendorin
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by Fendorin »

i don't know what i need to say?

and Clonewolf & Turbo advance very quickly .
if you are agree i will continue draw over new faction Fixer.

i can give my voices to one Faction (like proposed before, i would prefer Shapers...)

but i don't know what i need to said , if you sent my the text i will act it. and record.
CLoneWolf
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by CLoneWolf »

Fendorin wrote:but i don't know what i need to said , if you sent my the text i will act it. and record.
Oh that's easy, you already have all the faction texts, take a look at the communications subfolder of your main game folder, you'll find xml files for each faction; there also are useful tips on the situation for each line, so that'll suggest you proper ways to say them; thanks again for volunteering!
Turbo
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Turbo »

Yes, thank you. A French accent for the Shapers would be great. Guidelines to help you are here: http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/media ... ice_Acting
If you discover something new while you work we can add it to the guidelines.

I was playing SVN last night and with the Andolians and Aera making occasional broadcasts, space is already starting to feel less empty.
Turbo

There are two speeds in combat: stopped, and as fast as you can go. Unless you run into something, going fast keeps you alive more often than stopping.