Oswald voice acting (continued from User Help)

For collaboration between the different artists creating music and sound for vegastrike.
Turbo
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Oswald voice acting (continued from User Help)

Post by Turbo »

This thread continues what was started in User Help, here: http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/forum ... =1&t=13242

Based on previous discussions of adding radio squelch to the ship-to-ship voice communications, here is an updated set of Oswald voice lines (intro, commo, targeting, and navigation) with radio squelch added. I also included a file TONE_25-30.OGG which is a sample of "engine background noise" (it is simply mixed 25 and 30 Hz tones), though I have it at a higher volume than I would use if mixing it with voice lines, so you can hear it better.
http://www.willadsenfamily.org/us/don/t ... _noise.zip

So, please provide feedback on whether the squelch is value-added, and also whether the engine noise sounds like it is worth adding as backdrop to all the voice lines. Once I have feedback on the squelch and engine sound effects, I will record the last portion of the voice lines (FTL travel and fighting) and add the same sound effects to those.

Turbo
Turbo

There are two speeds in combat: stopped, and as fast as you can go. Unless you run into something, going fast keeps you alive more often than stopping.
pyramid
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Re: Oswald voice acting (continued from User Help)

Post by pyramid »

Nice try. 8) I find both noises somewhat disturbing. The initial and final zishhhhh is kinda detached from the rest of the voice and feels out-of-place, while the engine noise sounds a bit too 80's-sound-chip-square-wavish and disturbing to me. I'd prefer to contibue without both sounds.
Turbo
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Turbo »

OK. The background noise on a starship would be a combination of sounds: coolant pumps humming and capacitors whining and valves clicking and more. So the sample sound I made is probably too simple to be convincing. But I think the extra noise is not necessary, for the following reasons.

Even the cheapest starship's computer should filter out "routine" noise, like this:
http://www.thetravelinsider.info/roadwa ... sindex.htm
so you the pilot only hears "important" sounds like weapons fire, shield and hull hits, intership comms, and alarms, and "elective" sounds like the music.

Likewise, modern radios are smart enough to auto-adjust the squelch. That is, if there's no one talking at an acceptable signal strength, it filters out the background static of the cosmos. Where there is a transmission coming through, some radios get a tiny bit of squelch/static at the start and end of the transmission. But a future radio should not have any unnecessary sounds, except for intentional feedback if desired.

We can always mix in background sounds in later if we need to. So, I'm off to finish the recordings.

Turbo
Turbo

There are two speeds in combat: stopped, and as fast as you can go. Unless you run into something, going fast keeps you alive more often than stopping.
Turbo
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Turbo »

Done! I spent some time cleaning up the old recordings too, so here is the full package. I took down the old files from the site too since they're obsolete.
http://www.willadsenfamily.org/us/don/t ... _voice.zip

It's nice to be doing voice acting and working with sound again. If the team wants or needs any more, start a thread in this forum and I'll work on it. How about some alien language, overlaid with Microsoft Narrator playing the voice of the translator? Or do you need voices for Jenek and Luviccio?

Turbo
Turbo

pyramid
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by pyramid »

Excellent voice acting!
I will start integration today and hopefully by tomorrow we'll have the full tutorial with speech. You are part of VS making history!

Meanwhile if you want to continue, you could have a look on the normal communications which would certainly be great with voice support.
Turbo
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Turbo »

Good deal. I'll start new threads for each set of voices, when the time comes.

This is as much fun for me as modeling, with the difference that the Artwork and Content forum is full of modelers. Thus, I encourage everyone to give voice acting a try. I wrote a tutorial some years ago, and recently updated it, that will get you started: http://www.willadsenfamily.org/us/don/t ... torial.htm
Turbo

pyramid
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by pyramid »

I've promised too much. RL is taking hand and I didn't make it to integrate the speech yet.
In the next couple of days I'll be on a trip without access to VS. The integration must wait until next week.
pyramid
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by pyramid »

Finally, I have committed the remaining voices. Though one problem remains with the speech disappearing when flying with speed or turning away from the point of origin where the player's ship was when the sound started. I couldn't solve it python-wise, so my next try will be code-wise.

Once again, congratulations for this pioneer contribution! You have been listed on the Wiki Project page as Voice Artist. :mrgreen: