Forsaken's shipyard

Active development of content (Art, story, etc.). Content slated for inclusion will be listed in the parent forum.

Moderator: pyramid

Fendorin
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Forsaken's shipyard

Post by Fendorin »

Hello .

i make a station for forsaken space (or pirate?)
The station was built in ancient colonizer's structure

i always problem for transform a 3d model in bfxm .

please explain me (with simple word ) a current method

thank . merci beaucoup.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

Nice! Great texturing job. Something went wrong in the unwrapping where there's a slanted section near the rectangular entrance, causing the texture to deform. If fixing the UV unwrap is too hard, I might suggest making that section of a different material, like paint it with a uniform color, so that the deformations are not so visible. Other than that, looking pretty good.
Fendorin
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

modification

Post by Fendorin »

Hello

Just a send with:

the port is larger than before.

and texture is softer

tell me if you see a problem.

thanks

rigelan
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by rigelan »

I can't tell if that same spot that was a problem first time was fixed or not. If it has been, great. If it wasn't, then the softer texture hides it well.

Usefulness-wise I think the upper chunk of metal, the second half of your tube, seems like it isn't really needed. It doesn't have any arms or bays or anything besides a blockage so that larger ships wouldn't have as easy of a time to make it through.
Ryder P. Moses
Daredevil Venturer
Daredevil Venturer

Post by Ryder P. Moses »

The second half is nice - it makes the station look like it's built from some old derelict or something - but you should do something more with it. Either add some functionality (command structure, turrets, random pipes n' tanks, whatever) to it or gut it and add damage and substructure detailing - or both. The further any element gets from looking like a primitive, the more interesting it's going to be.

Your textures are pretty nice - great at long range - but I'm not sure what the little rings on the ends of the cylinders are supposed to represent. They don't look like anything so much as the leftovers from some fractal noise application.
pyramid
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Re: Forsaken's shipyard

Post by pyramid »

Very nice model, Fendorin. Is it still available for peruse?
Fendorin
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by Fendorin »

oh it's was the first station i made and at the moment i didn't understand nothing to map!
i meet it in the game is a very bad model the mesh is wrong and made a lot of visual bug
this shipyard i need to find on my computer if i still have the source files

anyway i prepare a new Forsaken shipyard but i still have some problem with the Alpha and the double sided face (for destruct part)

want a little picture for preview??

http://www.divshare.com/download/5580246-eb8

EDIT: strange i don't know why the BBcode is off (sorry)
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Looking sharp! ;-)
Fendorin
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by Fendorin »

i m sorry but what it means "looking sharp"

i m not good english and some expression used by good english or native seems strange for me

i can't translate and i haven't enough "urban language" bru !!
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Words in English have many meanings depending on context.
Sharp can mean many things.
Say you go to work one morning in a brand new suit, perfectly fitting, people would probably say "you're looking sharp this morning".
People also use the word 'sharp' to mean smart, alert, intelligent, clever.
Using the term for a model is a bit of a joke, in the sense that a model can also have sharp edges. :)
It's also a WC joke, in that pirates, in Privateer, when they are friendly to you, they say "Looking sharp, Ace!".
It's a triple joke because pirates can't see how you are dressed, so they could only be saying that about the ship you're flying.
So, if Privateer pirates can say a ship "looks sharp"; I guess I can say that of a station. ;-)
I should have waited and said that of some rlaan station, tho.
pyramid
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by pyramid »

looks sharp in urban dictionary.

The bb code is probably disabled in your profile by default. just need to set it again.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

I edited your post chuck as pyramid suggested bbcode was off so where smilies.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

I don't understand. I looked at my post and didn't notice any editing.
Also, I checked my profile and couldn't find anything related to BB-code or smileys.
There were such things in the profile with phpBB2, but unless I'm missing something, they seem to be gone.
But BB-code and smileys seem to be working for me; at least I see them no problem.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

chuck_starchaser wrote:I don't understand. I looked at my post and didn't notice any editing.
Also, I checked my profile and couldn't find anything related to BB-code or smileys.
There were such things in the profile with phpBB2, but unless I'm missing something, they seem to be gone.
But BB-code and smileys seem to be working for me; at least I see them no problem.
They are set in the Board preferences tab --edit posting defaults and at the bottom of each post the two tabs Options and Upload attachment just checked your profile myself and yes they are turned on but they where turned off for the post i edited :shock: the only thing i changed was untick those two little boxes :wink: Bit rot maybe :?

my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
pyramid
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by pyramid »

Maybe the confusion comes from my comment appearing after chuck's post however meant for fendorin, as he was asking about that a couple of posts before. My apologies.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Then i had better check his profile as well. Just did and and everything is turned on 8)

Fendorin
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by Fendorin »

Last edited by loki1950 on Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Enabled BBcode and smiles loki1950
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

When you post the next time check the Options tab just below the Save Preview Submit buttons they should be on by default according to what you have set in the preferences panel of your profile as i mentioned referring to chuck's earlier post Bit rot :?

Fendorin
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by Fendorin »

i haven't any button

just in options: ¤ don't automatically parse URLs
and : ¤Notify a reply ...blabala...etc
both are not on

but isn't a big problem
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Gosh! That's gorgeous, Fendorin. :D
This baby is going to need CineMut, so that it shows real shadows.
We'll work together to CineMutize it, once you're done, if you want.

Loki, the problem is with the general phpBB configuration. All my options, Editing as well as Viewing, in my profile, are ON.
And yet, I'm seeing a sign to the right of this very edit window that sayss "BBCode is OFF" and I can't find any means of changing it.
No tabs, no buttons, nothing.
Fendorin
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by Fendorin »

Chuck'starchaser said:"We'll work together to CineMutize it, once you're done, if you want."

yes yes but ? the 4 texture i did is not suffisant?(diffuse,spec,glow,bump)
and i can't made a AO = on this kind of Station have a lot of repeating mesh+UV (and another point more real my computer is very slow for bake texture)

the model is near to have 50 K mesh and 2 uvmap: 2K and 1K +0.5K for the old decommissioned Watson&Archimedes

but yes i would see it with Cinemut
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Ah, yes; for cinemut you need to NOT re-use any part of the texture. Except perfectly black things; they can all be piled up in one bunch; but everything
else has to have separate UV-map islands.
As for AO's, I can make them on my machine.
Fendorin
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by Fendorin »

maybe is because i take care more about a maximum of pixel than a good material definition!!

but if i understand well= we should use some "real "light in game with cinemut or is all baked on uv map??? (i seen the mining base improvement you did) and it have a green light upper the docking bay is it backing or "real"?

anyway if i change the color of the diffuse less dark and more white ( like the defunct MIR station) it could be more clear and lighty than this dark one (and maybe good idea for Forsaken .........it s like enter in the 5th dimension..lol)
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

The lights on that mining base upgrade were all baked.
In fact, the interior of the mine was black diffuse, black specular. All the color inside was radiosity baked and put into the glow-map.
The reason for that was that, if the colors in the interior were anything but black, they would receive light from outside, due to the
lack of shadows, and I wanted to avoid that kind of artifact.
But CineMut does have "real" shadows. If you turn the ship, or move the light source, you see the shadows moving.
But like I said, you cannot re-use parts of the UV-map. Each piece of geometry must have its own, separate island.
Fendorin
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by Fendorin »

Hello i change the texture for more light "base" and the render is better :

White is better the "colour" is according with the human forsaken and the station looklike "built in scratch" with other sparse pieces (like ISS or MIR) of different station
and maybe i will use the "glow map for enlight the interior of the station (like i did a little bit on the Vigilant) maybe it should be the solution for haven't a totally black interior

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk75 ... ard6-1.jpg
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk75 ... ipyard.jpg
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk75 ... ard3-1.jpg
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk75 ... ard4-1.jpg
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk75 ... ard2-1.jpg
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk75 ... ard5-1.jpg