Where are things going ?

Development directions, tasks, and features being actively implemented or pursued by the development team.
vincele
Merchant
Merchant

Where are things going ?

Post by vincele »

Hello,

I returned here after a kind of long break.
Things seems to have slowed down, like almost stopped.

So my questions are:
- is the project still alive ?
- if yes, where, is that github thing progressing, or even blessed by the core devs ?

I still have 65 cleanup patches from the past, and it looks like they all still apply properly...
- should I bother posting patches ?
- where and how ?

I'd rather prepare github branches to be pulled, but I'd like to make sure that will lead me
somewhere first...
gonzo
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Re: Where are things going ?

Post by gonzo »

vincele wrote: - is the project still alive ?
Barely. It had a short revival some years ago but all the energy fell to below zero after the forum crashed and there was no backups. Maybe some 4 - 6 months of contributions, including a really cool shuttle, was lost.
vincele wrote: - if yes, where, is that github thing progressing, or even blessed by the core devs ?
Waiting for input from them devs.
vincele wrote: I still have 65 cleanup patches from the past, and it looks like they all still apply properly...
- should I bother posting patches ?
This is something probably only klauss can answer as I think he's the only one active in the sourceforge issue tracker.
Here is your old thread:
http://forums.vega-strike.org/viewtopic ... 27&t=16426
vincele wrote: I'd rather prepare github branches to be pulled, but I'd like to make sure that will lead me
somewhere first...
Give the devs some time to answer first.
There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't.
ezee
Intrepid Venturer
Intrepid Venturer

Post by ezee »

Hi guys .
So we are three actually to manifest some interest with that vegastrike's source code .
That is good .

Vincele i read your older post and have an idea about what kind of clean up you've done .
I noticed also some weird names sometime in the source code , that are confusing .
So setup a coding convention for the future could be an interesting step for a collective
work .
I don't know the exact nature of your 65 patches , but that could be a starting point for a kind of guidance , if the patches applied , the game runs in each Os.

We've got here a member, "Eye~R " , that is ready to host a mmo version of VegaStrike , in his own server . It's a good opportunity to work in the client-server side of vegastrike .
I've done also some cool experiment already with the code , the most famous ( for me ) was to implement an ingame menu . You know , you press " q " and you no more quit directly , but access
a menu where you can save/load etc ...
demo video here : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KpLtYpOOqo

With Nido we have worked a little in the MARKEt PROJECT , to try to bring the economy
to a more dynamic level , but we have only a skeleton right now .
For my personal game , i will play with it and try to implement sqlite as database driver :
SQLite is a software library that implements a self-contained, serverless, zero-configuration, transactional SQL database engine. SQLite is the most widely deployed database engine in the world. The source code for SQLite is in the public domain.
Application File Format. Rather than using fopen() to write XML, JSON, CSV, or some proprietary format into disk files used by your application, use an SQLite database. You'll avoid having to write and troubleshoot a parser, your data will be more easily accessible and cross-platform, and your updates will be transactional. (more...)
https://www.sqlite.org/
There is also .CSV import/export functions , that could serve to access the vegastrike
database , make some modern tools for it etc ...
That is a part that has a great interest for me .

AN other idea is to make a text/graphical tool that helps to create missions and campains , basically containing snippets of code to produce in output XML and python scripts .

:wink:

Code: Select all

if (!track.HasWeapons())
            {
                // So what are you going to threaten me with? Exhaustion gas?
                return ThreatLevel::None;
            }
Vegastrike evolved
DEV YOUTUBE CHANNEL
Vegastrike evolved wiki
gonzo
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by gonzo »

ezee wrote:Hi guys .
So we are three actually to manifest some interest with that vegastrike's source code .
That is good .
Getting things moving can go really fast. With the LMMS project almost nothing happened for years and then, all of a sudden, things totally bloomed and we pushed out the 1.0 release.
There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't.
ezee
Intrepid Venturer
Intrepid Venturer

Post by ezee »

LMMS , the mixing/sequencing software ?
Are you a dev in that project ?

I also like to work with sound in programs , i recently played with OpenAL in my code .
It's cool to see that Linux has now more and more multimedia projects coming out .

Hey , talking about changes and mooves , i just created a hub in sourceforge for the
branch that is mine on windows for vegastrike : https://sourceforge.net/p/vegastrikevo/ ... ster/tree/

These 3 folders are the strict neccessary in order to build then play under windows .
I plan to make a branch for the dynamic market introduction in the source code .

The changes could be used later in your hub , but my code will not be neccessary portable.
I started also a blog to talk about my goals , feelings about vegastrike , etc :
https://sourceforge.net/p/vegastrikevo/blog/

:arrow:

if (!track.HasWeapons())
            {
            }
Vegastrike evolved
DEV YOUTUBE CHANNEL
Vegastrike evolved wiki
gonzo
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by gonzo »

ezee wrote:LMMS , the mixing/sequencing software ?
Are you a dev in that project ?
I've submitted a few patches, yes, but I'm not a team member. My machine went down bad a year ago so I got out of coding for a while but I hope to get back on track there. I'm pretty good at thinking up algorithms but I'm not a skilled programmer. I can pretty quickly find a good place to modify existing code though and that's what I've done in LMMS. I haven't found any suitable task for me to work on in Vegastrike.
Have you tried LMMS?
ezee wrote: I also like to work with sound in programs , i recently played with OpenAL in my code .
Cool, I'll check out OpenAL.
I've tried Faust and it's pretty cool. They have an online compiler where you can just drop your code and convert it to c/c++ and or compile it to whatever format you need. VST, LV2, csound module etc...
http://faust.grame.fr/index.php/online-examples

I don't have a Windows machine so I can't really try your stuff.
ezee
Intrepid Venturer
Intrepid Venturer

Post by ezee »

Hi .
Faust is AWESOME !
I have tried things last year with it , it was for a project with NINJAM , an application
that help to syncronize music players in a streaming session over the Net .
I don't exactly remember why i focused on Faust in that particular case , but it was
an opportunity to discover and use it a little ( it was for the vst side or ... probably
for the mix of channels -> http://faust.grame.fr/index.php/online-examples )

I am like you , not a genius like the guys that designed the vegastrike architecture ,
with some very neat lowlevel c++ code ( use of singletons , class templates ... ) and
creativity ( the bootstrap code in the main file of vegastrike is a nice tricky code ^^ ).

But i am able to follow a logic , and make it grow .
I learned a lot trying to figure out how works VS , in parallel with Ogre3D that is also a great piece of c++ logic .

So...
Even if we don't have the same OS , we can share our codes or snippets to help each other to progress . It would be too much time consuming for me to search for each
fonction i make a portable solution .
But i can use some libs that are portable in priority , and focus on my code freely ...
I've started to code for Vegastrike again , and i think that this code will be portable ,
i mean the core part . If i do well , patches will be possible from my repositery because
even if i use visual studio as IDE and compiler , the source code is separated from the
windows thing :
The portable part : http://sourceforge.net/p/vegastrikevo/g ... egastrike/
The Windows project part : http://sourceforge.net/p/vegastrikevo/g ... /vega-vc9/

You see that the windows part is just the upper part of the iceberg ?
:lol:

I think i will make branchs also for other OS later , because now i am in a learning curve
with the management of sourceforge projects .
Of course , i would like that every cool changes that i would make be portable and enjoyed by the brotherhood of this place ... :wink:

I am open to discuss and adapt myself with Linux and mac devs and users .
( but i can't help with the basic things related to each OS , like compilation , linking
etc ...)

if (!track.HasWeapons())
            {
            }
Vegastrike evolved
DEV YOUTUBE CHANNEL
Vegastrike evolved wiki