Vega Strike script developing: looking for mentor

Development directions, tasks, and features being actively implemented or pursued by the development team.
darvin
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Vega Strike script developing: looking for mentor

Post by darvin »

Hello!
I'm middle-expirienced python developer. I would like to participate in VS project as script developer. I am not familiar with Vega Strike, so, I want to find somebody like mentor, that can point me to some current python script tasks, answer some my questions and control my job.
Samples of my code:
https://github.com/darvin/brainspell
https://github.com/darvin/cryotec_server
https://github.com/darvin/cryotec_client
https://github.com/darvin/qtdjango
klauss
Elite
Elite

Re: Vega Strike script developing: looking for mentor

Post by klauss »

What would you like to improve of the game?

I mean, what are your areas of interest?

We have various needs:
  • Mission type scripts
  • Economic simulation
  • Political simulation
  • Campaign scripts
  • Content authoring tools
The list isn't in priority order, just a list of things involving python that come to my mind.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
darvin
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by darvin »

klauss wrote:What would you like to improve of the game?

I mean, what are your areas of interest?

We have various needs:
  • Mission type scripts
  • Economic simulation
  • Political simulation
  • Campaign scripts
  • Content authoring tools
The list isn't in priority order, just a list of things involving python that come to my mind.
Actually, I don't know now ) I don't play much, but now I'm playing) I just ask on forum beacouse don't wait so rapid answer
darvin
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by darvin »

So, there is some suggestions, please tell me what of it is fit to developement concept and implementable in Python scripting:
  • More GUI control in cockpit view. For example, control of ship's velocity
  • Joystick- and other control setting GUI. For example, I want to assing one of axes of my joystick to view control (rotate camera in cockpit or outside-ship views)
I am newbie in Elite-like games and VS, so maybe implementation of some features that I suggest can help other newbies )
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

darvin wrote:Joystick- and other control setting GUI. For example, I want to assing one of axes of my joystick to view control (rotate camera in cockpit or outside-ship views)
We don't have an in-game settings editor, and I dont' think it would be easy to make one.

It would be easy to create the editor, but changes would require a reboot of the game to be applied.

I had a couple of neat ideas on how to make changes apply instantly, but they imply careful refactoring of the C++ engine. Not massive, but careful.

So, if you want joystick configurability, you're better off playing with vssetup for now, or an in-game editor if you want to mess with lots of C++ code.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

darvin wrote:
So, there is some suggestions, please tell me what of it is fit to developement concept and implementable in Python scripting:
  • More GUI control in cockpit view. For example, control of ship's velocity
  • Joystick- and other control setting GUI. For example, I want to assing one of axes of my joystick to view control (rotate camera in cockpit or outside-ship views)
I am newbie in Elite-like games and VS, so maybe implementation of some features that I suggest can help other newbies )
First of all, this is almost exclusively handled in C++, so this might not be for you.

One project you could do is make a new settings editor outside the game in python/Tcl-Tk, but this would only be a worthwhile project if you change the settings format to be pure XML (currently we use comments as data to denote settings, and this another challenge for allowing arbitrary configuration updates.

If you are interested in changing the in-game settings and writing a bit of C++, tweaking keyboard and joystick settings might be a matter of rerunning whatever function reads them in, so it might be possible (assuming you have a good GUI).

Klauss is right though -- many other settings are not necessarily so easy, because they aren't in a nice self-contained class, but rather are static variables spread throughout the code.
TBeholder
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by TBeholder »

klauss wrote:I had a couple of neat ideas on how to make changes apply instantly, but they imply careful refactoring of the C++ engine. Not massive, but careful.
Like replacing initGlobalCommandMap and two hundreds of one-use functions it calls with processing 1 - 3 (key vs. axis vs hat) functions applied to an array by the loop and giving Python (base interface) access to it and ability to write XML config? :wink: With changing XML config so that it would suupport includes this could even become (gasp) convenient...
"Two Eyes Good, Eleven Eyes Better." -Michele Carter
strook
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by strook »

GUI control will come when I ve set up a 3d cockpit with animated textures.
Since I can use render to texture it is possible.
I got already a crappy 3d cockpit, but I need some time to implement it correctly. In the moment, i'm on creating a proper atmosphere.

Maybe you are willed to create a good 3d cockpit with texture while I'm on the other stuff?
plz visit my vegastrike project branch here

plz support VegaOgre by donating to it!

My systems: Mac mini 1, 4gig RAM;
i5 Quad Core 2400, 300mbit WLAN, 1,3Tbyte HD, 60 GB SSD,
nvidia geforce 8400gs 512MB, 6gig RAM with Ubuntu 11.4,
win7 and hackintosh installed