win32 svn folder blues

Development directions, tasks, and features being actively implemented or pursued by the development team.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

win32 svn folder blues

Post by chuck_starchaser »

I finally found the /win32 folder that was mentioned, and proceede to do an svn co, so as to be able to upload shenle's binaries.
Problem is, even though there's only one folder in svn under win32, namely /trunk/win32/bin, the checkout decided to put a
data folder under it, /trunk/win32/data, and now it is painfully filling it with textures and whatnot. How is this possible?
Thought I'd ask before I kill the process.
shenle
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Re: win32 svn folder blues

Post by shenle »

That /win32/data is in fact an external; I'm not sure exactly how the svn repository is organized, but I strongly suspect that it in fact just copies over the main /data directory.

Yeah. Known about that forever - ever since /win32 was created.

Don't worry. It's only 2.4GB of data. :(
Last edited by shenle on Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
make me a sandwich
make: *** No rule to make target 'me'. Stop.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Perhaps someone added "data" in an svn:externals on /win32?
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
shenle
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by shenle »

I think it's because the binary expects to find its data in ../data, not ../../data.
make me a sandwich
make: *** No rule to make target 'me'. Stop.
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

win32 runs data as an external. Just tell svn to ommit externals and it will only pull the win32 directory w/o grabbing data as well. For the most part the win32 folder needs an update. Most of the dlls are seriously outdated and once a stable build is up using vc9 vc7 or cmake its going to get a makeover anyway. Most of the dlls included in win32 are no longer required by VS or you have 3 different versions from current (.5) down to long long ago.
Because of YOU Arbiter, MY kids? can't get enough gas. OR NIPPLE! How does that mkae you feeeel? ~ Halo
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

Yeah, it took me by surprise; I though svn was haunted. Then figured out to just kill it and svn up from the bin folder.
That's a leg trap.
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

My guess is that whoever set it up did it that way so windows users would only have to download from win32 whenever the binary was updated to have a complete play package in one folder instead of doing both win32 and data seperately.
Because of YOU Arbiter, MY kids? can't get enough gas. OR NIPPLE! How does that mkae you feeeel? ~ Halo
safemode
Developer
Developer

Post by safemode »

you are correct sir, and i set it up that way :)

you can blame the entire organization of the binary repos on me, in fact, i pretty much re-organized the entire trunk from 0.5.0 on. I intended it to be easily packaged under the old way since everyone was crying when i removed the bins from /data so _everyone_ didn't have to download win32 bins and such.

win32 users ought to be pulling from win32, mac users, from mac (or whatever it's called)... guess that was never really made clear.

down the road when we start actually packaging things in a sane manner, we can remove the external references.
Ed Sweetman endorses this message.