¡Needs testing!

Development directions, tasks, and features being actively implemented or pursued by the development team.
safemode
Developer
Developer

Post by safemode »

I've been very light on the developing lately. I never seem to have much time when i'm not at work so i barely get the chance to do more on cmake. I'll check it out. It likely can be extended to handle what our Vector handles. Also, opcode uses it's own Vector class that can probably be merged in with a single Vector class. Seems stupid to have each subsystem have it's own vector class.
Ed Sweetman endorses this message.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Yes, but it's unavoidable if we want proper separation between the subsystems.
I don't know if I said this (we discussed it once with Hellcat), but once the sound system is nice enough I'll fork it into a separate project - the OpenSoundWachiguauOrSomthing. Because it deserves its own project, and I'll have fun developing it to levels of sophistication that VS really does not need.

BTW: I finally finally found what was wrong with tangents, after reading very thoroughly the OpenGL specs. Man that was some reading. So, we have tangents. Next stop is merging into trunk and building a win32 binary. But that's tomorrow. Now I'm feeling ill :(
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
safemode
Developer
Developer

Post by safemode »

I dont think the current gfx subsystem actually makes use of any gfx specific headers in the Vector class. So that's safe.

Opcode's vector class is extremely basic but pretty complete. Could basically copy it's functions to the templated class without modification (cept type).

That leaves yours.. I doubt it uses any external subsystem specific headers either....since Vector is such a generic data type.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

There's good news and bad news.
The good news is that I managed to get a win32 binary for vegastrike. Ie: vegastrike.exe
The bad news is that I can't get a mesher.exe - I can build and all, links fine, but when I try to execute it says "mesher.exe is not a valid win32 binary" - which is very very very weird.
Wing Commander Universe
safemode
Developer
Developer

Post by safemode »

that sounds like fun. I had some related issues with cmake, apparently vegastrike and vegaserver require slightly different link orders for objects.

speaking of mesher, that's next on my list.

What's left to get technique ready for trunk?

We are fast approaching the end of code changes for 0.5.1. That'll mean nothing but bugfixes until the data side changes catch up and we release. Since the data side changes require this code-set, so long as the api is solid, we can live with having to do an extended session of bugfixing for the tradeoff of getting texture creation started sooner rather than later.

Not trying to pressure a merge, just saying it's something to think about if you find yourself with a choice...this incongruence of workload between code and data is what causes feature creep and the dreaded perpetual "release-soon-itus". I really wish i was artistic, we badly need more data side help.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

That's fantastic, Klauss. Can't wait for a new mesher that works.
I'm still using the version that came with Privateer Remake, because
none of the newer ones ever worked for me; though I admit I never
tried the one that was committed about a month or two ago.
Did you try windows compatibility modes? Maybe your setup is
building win95 binaries? Just a thought.
Also,
http://forums.devshed.com/c-programming ... 33596.html
http://groups.google.com/group/microsof ... fcf2474e68
http://objectmix.com/dotnet/121318-not- ... 700c1.html
HTH
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Wing Commander Universe
pyramid
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by pyramid »

My virus scanner shows your file has the PE_VIRUT virus.
Daingaa, Daingaa!
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Really?

I have no antivirus, I know what I do but my family is reckless, they've downloaded virus themselves more than once, so I guess it's possible.

I'm rebuilding now... as I understand, PE_VIRUT won't infect it if it doesn't run, so...

Now I have the dilemma... antivirus or no antivirus? The little guy hasn't bothered me yet, and I seldom use Windows anyway... hm...

I see the proxy setup I'm using effectively stopped the guy from connecting to its master. Cool. Let me tell you something: never let your cyber-ignorant family use your computer. Just tell them: want to use the internet? first learn how.
Wing Commander Universe
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

WOW! Nice timing!
I use ClamWin Antivirus. Open Source; though it uses a public virus database that lags in time relative to commercial AV products, but if the virus is not too new it will catch it.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Yea, well... I'll think about that antivirus, being opensource it might be decent. But it's just so frustrating, one sets up a secure network and all, with a linux router/firewall/proxy, so that I don't have to worry about the mess of windows firewalls/antivirus software only to have my brother click "yes" when confronted with a popup "Do you want to install the latest virus?".

I mean, I'm fed up with all this. I don't use windows anymore - only they do. So I say: to hell with them. If they can't be careful nor reinstall windows themselves, it's their problem. I won't loose a weekend of my time because of their incompetence. I've told them a hundred times they don't have to download useless junk from the internet, and here I am looking at this icon on the desktop "Shortcut to RPG_RT", clearly a stupid RPG downloaded by my stupid brother doing stupid things that can only stupidly play games all stupid day. YEp, I'm pissed.

Anyway, rebuilt using "runnable" rather than "exe" ;) (that seemed to fool the stupid virus since the md5 turned out different this time). Reuploaded (after a rename in linux). Should be safe, but if anyone with an antivirus cares to confirm it would be great. And if anyone doesn't want to risk the download I'll understand too.
Wing Commander Universe
pyramid
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by pyramid »

I used to have AVG on my windows machine at home (don't use win at home anymore, just my work pc which has TrendMicro). AV is commercial but they offer a free edition and it's one of the best i have ever had with almost daily database updates and automatic update and scheduled scans.

Firewall and proxy definitely aren't enough to protect you from viruses or trojans on win. It is likely that within minutes of internet connection you catch something. Used to happen to me when reinstalling win. Before finishing to setup the firewall for the first time I had already one sitting on my drive.

EDIT:
Cheko, both files are now confirmed virus free.

Btw, klauss. When are you thinking of merging with trunk?
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

ClamWin says there's no viruses, but when I try to run the program...

Yep, personal computers are personal. I mean, most people don't let their families and friends drive their cars... Computers are a lot more likely to crash :) (or worse... get infected). An old friend of mine had that problem with his mother using his computer. She used his computer to chat with friends, and exchange virtual cards and sounds and jokes. She could not resist clicking on everything that was put in front of her face. He was reinstalling windows like every two months.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Your problem, pyramid, is that your computer was directly tied to the internet. Mine isn't, mine has to go through a linux router running a proxy (not even a NAT). There's no way viruses can get in by themselves, only if some ill conceived click is performed on this end. That is, only by user negligence which I usually rule out if it's me the one acting as user (hey, if I'm negligent I deserve the virus). It just doesn't work, though, when my whole family, even my 5yo nephew (turned out to be him), is allowed to download games from the internet.

Anyway... chuck, that's those nasty manifests of XP. I hate those. I don't know why MS thought it was a good idea to break things that much. I just uploaded a build without manifests. Recheck for virus just in case (but I did the same as before so it should be clean).
Wing Commander Universe
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Something very weird is going on. I tried downloading the main executable many times. Well, I succeed every time; and ClamWin finds it clean; BUT... What's weird is that the file is more than 7 megs, but it always downloads in like half a second. I tried deleting it AND emptying the recycling bin AND clearing firefox's cache, then I click on the link and in half a second I get the popup saying the download is done, the file appears there, and it's 7,044 kb; but how can I possibly be downloading it that fast? Doesn't make any sense. And when trying to run it I keep getting the same error message as before. :roll: Maybe there IS a virus that ClamWin doesn't see. Gawd I hope not.
pyramid
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by pyramid »

This must be on your side chuck, since i download the files in more than a minute and they run just fine on Win2K.
vodalian
Hunter
Hunter

Post by vodalian »

If you guys are refering to the files that klauss posted, running it caused my computer to crash hardcore and reboot by itself... (windowsxp).
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

In a decent OS (granted, XP isn't one), no application, not even a virus, can be responsible for such a hard crash. But I'm talking about decent OSes.

Win2K doesn't have that manifest problem, and ya, chuck, I doubt that's a virus, I don't know of "caching viruses", hehe, that must be a cache somewhere. If you're using a proxy, it might be a caching proxy that doesn't realize the file changed. Try downloading it with an FTP client, and if you have the old version try comparing it against the recently downloaded one to make sure it's different.
Wing Commander Universe
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Ok, I downloaded it using filezilla, and this time it took a few dozen seconds to download, as it should; but I still get the same error message.
(I wasn't thinking about a "cacheing virus"; more in terms of the virus protecting itself from overwriting by some sneaky way.)
Anyways, I do have a manifest file in there; should I rename it or something?

Vegastrike.exe.manifest

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>
<assembly xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1" manifestVersion="1.0">
  <dependency>
    <dependentAssembly>
      <assemblyIdentity type="win32" name="Microsoft.VC80.CRT" version="8.0.50727.762" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b"></assemblyIdentity>
    </dependentAssembly>
  </dependency>
  <dependency>
    <dependentAssembly>
      <assemblyIdentity type="win32" name="Microsoft.VC80.CRT" version="8.0.50608.0" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b"></assemblyIdentity>
    </dependentAssembly>
  </dependency>
</assembly
EDIT:
I copied the manifest and named the copy as vegastrikeR_techniques.exe.manifest, and it seemed to work, but then crashed.

Stdout.txt:

In path K:\SVN\pu_TRUNK\bin
Windows version 5 1
Vega Strike  
See http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html for license details.

Using .pu as the home directory
Found MODDIR = K:\SVN\pu_TRUNK/mods
DATADIR - No datadir specified in config file, using ; K:\SVN\pu_TRUNK
SIMULATION_ATOM: 0.06
['C:\\PYTHON24', 'C:\\PYTHON24\\DLLS', 'C:\\PYTHON24\\LIB', 'C:\\PYTHON24\\LIB\\LIB-TK', 'E:\\Csound\\bin', 'K:\\SVN\\pu_TRUNK\\bin\\python24.zip', 'K:\\SVN\\pu_TRUNK', 'K:\\SVN\\pu_TRUNK\\bin', 'C:\\Python24\\lib\\site-packages']
['K:\\SVN\\pu_TRUNK\\modules\\builtin', 'K:\\SVN\\pu_TRUNK\\modules\\quests', 'K:\\SVN\\pu_TRUNK\\modules\\missions', 'K:\\SVN\\pu_TRUNK\\modules\\ai', 'K:\\SVN\\pu_TRUNK\\modules', 'K:\\SVN\\pu_TRUNK\\bases']
Setting Screen to w 1280 h 1024 and pitch of 5120 and 32 bpp 4 bytes per pix mode
0 joysticks were found.

The names of the joysticks are:
FactionXML:LoadXML factions.xml
Compiling python module modules/dj.py
SITUATION IS 1 force change 1 bool 1
SITUATION IS RESET TO 1
Ppeace
Contents of star system:
<system name="Empty" background="backgrounds/black" nearstars="0" stars="0" starspread="0"  y="0" z="0" x="0">

</system>
Stderr.txt:

GOT SUBDIR ARG = 
Found data in K:\SVN\pu_TRUNK\bin/..
Using K:\SVN\pu_TRUNK as data directory
USING HOMEDIR : K:\SVN\pu_TRUNK/.pu As the home directory 
CONFIGFILE - No config found in home : K:\SVN\pu_TRUNK/.pu/vegastrike.config
CONFIGFILE - No home config file found, using datadir config file : K:\SVN\pu_TRUNK/vegastrike.config
MISSION_NAME is empty using : main_menu.mission
running import sys
print sys.path
sys.path = [r"K:\SVN\pu_TRUNK\modules\builtin",r"K:\SVN\pu_TRUNK\modules\quests",r"K:\SVN\pu_TRUNK\modules\missions",r"K:\SVN\pu_TRUNK\modules\ai",r"K:\SVN\pu_TRUNK\modules",r"K:\SVN\pu_TRUNK\bases"]
testing VS randomrunning import sys
print sys.path
OpenGL Extensions supported: GL_ARB_color_buffer_float GL_ARB_depth_texture GL_ARB_draw_buffers GL_ARB_fragment_program GL_ARB_fragment_program_shadow GL_ARB_fragment_shader GL_ARB_half_float_pixel GL_ARB_imaging GL_ARB_multisample GL_ARB_multitexture GL_ARB_occlusion_query GL_ARB_pixel_buffer_object GL_ARB_point_parameters GL_ARB_point_sprite GL_ARB_shadow GL_ARB_shader_objects GL_ARB_shading_language_100 GL_ARB_texture_border_clamp GL_ARB_texture_compression GL_ARB_texture_cube_map GL_ARB_texture_env_add GL_ARB_texture_env_combine GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3 GL_ARB_texture_float GL_ARB_texture_mirrored_repeat GL_ARB_texture_non_power_of_two GL_ARB_texture_rectangle GL_ARB_transpose_matrix GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object GL_ARB_vertex_program GL_ARB_vertex_shader GL_ARB_window_pos GL_ATI_draw_buffers GL_ATI_texture_float GL_ATI_texture_mirror_once GL_S3_s3tc GL_EXT_texture_env_add GL_EXT_abgr GL_EXT_bgra GL_EXT_blend_color GL_EXT_blend_equation_separate GL_EXT_blend_func_separate GL_EXT_blend_minmax GL_EXT_blend_subtract GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array GL_EXT_Cg_shader GL_EXT_bindable_uniform GL_EXT_depth_bounds_test GL_EXT_draw_buffers2 GL_EXT_draw_instanced GL_EXT_draw_range_elements GL_EXT_fog_coord GL_EXT_framebuffer_blit GL_EXT_framebuffer_multisample GL_EXT_framebuffer_object GL_EXTX_framebuffer_mixed_formats GL_EXT_framebuffer_sRGB GL_EXT_geometry_shader4 GL_EXT_gpu_program_parameters GL_EXT_gpu_shader4 GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays GL_EXT_packed_depth_stencil GL_EXT_packed_float GL_EXT_packed_pixels GL_EXT_pixel_buffer_object GL_EXT_point_parameters GL_EXT_rescale_normal GL_EXT_secondary_color GL_EXT_separate_specular_color GL_EXT_shadow_funcs GL_EXT_stencil_two_side GL_EXT_stencil_wrap GL_EXT_texture3D GL_EXT_texture_array GL_EXT_texture_buffer_object GL_EXT_texture_compression_latc GL_EXT_texture_compression_rgtc GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc GL_EXT_texture_cube_map GL_EXT_texture_edge_clamp GL_EXT_texture_env_combine GL_EXT_texture_env_dot3 GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic GL_EXT_texture_integer GL_EXT_texture_lod GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias GL_EXT_texture_mirror_clamp GL_EXT_texture_object GL_EXT_texture_sRGB GL_EXT_texture_shared_exponent GL_EXT_timer_query GL_EXT_vertex_array GL_IBM_rasterpos_clip GL_IBM_texture_mirrored_repeat GL_KTX_buffer_region GL_NV_blend_square GL_NV_copy_depth_to_color GL_NV_depth_buffer_float GL_NV_conditional_render GL_NV_depth_clamp GL_NV_fence GL_NV_float_buffer GL_NV_fog_distance GL_NV_fragment_program GL_NV_fragment_program_option GL_NV_fragment_program2 GL_NV_framebuffer_multisample_coverage GL_NV_geometry_shader4 GL_NV_gpu_program4 GL_NV_half_float GL_NV_light_max_exponent GL_NV_multisample_coverage GL_NV_multisample_filter_hint GL_NV_occlusion_query GL_NV_packed_depth_stencil GL_NV_parameter_buffer_object GL_NV_pixel_data_range GL_NV_point_sprite GL_NV_primitive_restart GL_NV_register_combiners GL_NV_register_combiners2 GL_NV_texgen_reflection GL_NV_texture_compression_vtc GL_NV_texture_env_combine4 GL_NV_texture_expand_normal GL_NV_texture_rectangle GL_NV_texture_shader GL_NV_texture_shader2 GL_NV_texture_shader3 GL_NV_transform_feedback GL_NV_vertex_array_range GL_NV_vertex_array_range2 GL_NV_vertex_program GL_NV_vertex_program1_1 GL_NV_vertex_program2 GL_NV_vertex_program2_option GL_NV_vertex_program3 GL_NVX_conditional_render GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap GL_SGIS_texture_lod GL_SGIX_depth_texture GL_SGIX_shadow GL_SUN_slice_accum GL_WIN_swap_hint WGL_EXT_swap_control 
OpenGL::GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array supported
OpenGL::GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays supported
OpenGL::Accurate Fog Distance supported
OpenGL::Generic Texture Compression supported
OpenGL::S3TC Texture Compression supported
OpenGL::Multitexture supported (4 units)
OpenGL::TextureCubeMapExt supported
OpenGL::S3TC Texture Clamp-to-Edge supported
OpenGL::S3TC Texture Clamp-to-Border supported
OpenGL::EXTColorTable unsupported
input name textures/backgrounds/black, output name backgrounds/black_light.image
Affine 0.000000 Mult 0.300000 Pow 1.000000
Min (0.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000) Max(0.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000) MinLumin 1.000000, MaxLumin 1.000000Read In Star Count 0 used: 1000
safemode
Developer
Developer

Post by safemode »

I was thinking of splitting this to a new topic, since it's kind of hijacking klauss's and completely unrelated to it :)

let me know if that's ok.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

I don't care if you split it, but this is 100% ON topic. It's about techniques; --about testing them, even.
safemode
Developer
Developer

Post by safemode »

I thought it was about some virus one or more people had from a win32 bin ? I dont really mind either way, just thought it was a tangent running wild.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

No; the virus was mentioned as a possibility of what may be wrong; but the only fact is that the new executable with techniques is crashing on me, for reasons yet unknown.
safemode
Developer
Developer

Post by safemode »

i suppose you did all the normal stuff like check that the black textures weren't corrupted and your sphere maps for them were deleted so they were generated correctly again etc etc ..
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

safemode wrote:i suppose you did all the normal stuff like check that the black textures weren't corrupted and your sphere maps for them were deleted so they were generated correctly again etc etc ..
:oops:
I did no such thing; and I have no idea what the issue with black textures is, or how to check them. I'll start by deleting the spheremaps. After a reboot, that is. My PC has been running non-stop for a few days now, and images on forum posts are turning black after I scroll away from a post containing an image, and then scrolling back; so I guess this baby needs a reboot badly.