any way to remove a ship from game?

Forum For Privateer Remake
Hathur
Explorer
Explorer

any way to remove a ship from game?

Post by Hathur »

I've edited the units.csv file and deleted the directories for the ships as well (Orion Mk2, Mk2h, Orion b, etc)... the reason I did this was these ships were bugged, they often showed up as invisible black blobs in space that couldn't be harmed, so I wanted to erase them so I wouldn't see them in space anymore...

However, they still appear in space from time to time as the usual invisible object (but targetable and visible on radar). Deleting them from the units.csv file didn't help.

Can anyone tell me how to remove a ship so it no longer appears as a NPC controlled vessel in space? I'm tired of all the damned bugged ships that the parallel universe mod has introduced (virtually all of the Orion variants are bugged as well as a few of the Galaxy variants and I just don't want to see them in the game anymore.. I only want the original Orions and Galaxy ships around).
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

You probably have to delete the python references to them that actually spawn the ships.

Units in units.csv with no python spawning code will not appear, so you actually don't have to edit the ships out.

In vegastrike this is handled in /modules/faction_ships.py.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

I noticed a disembodied OrionMK2 (or b, or h?; not sure).
I'm just looking at units.csv and everything seems in working order for the OrionMK2: Let me check again (line 470):

Column A: orionMK2 (there's also .blank and .template)
Column B: ./orionMk2
Column C: orionMK2
Column N: {orionmk2.bfxm;;}
I look and find a folder named "orionMk2".
Inside it there's an orionmk2.bfxm
Can't see what's wrong; I was hoping to find a capitalization mismatch or something; but everything seems just right.

OrionMK2b (line 509):

Column A: orionMk2b (there's also .blank and .template)
Column B: ./orionb
Column C: orionMk2b
Column N: {orionb.bfxm;;}
I look and find a folder named "orionb".
Inside it there's an orionb.bfxm
Nothing seems wrong either.

OrionMK2H (line 491):

Column A: orionMk2H (there's also .blank and .template)
Column B: ./heavyo
Column C: orionMk2H
Column N: {heavyo.bfxm;;}
I look and find a folder named "orionh".
Inside it there's an heavyo.bfxm
Nothing seems wrong either.

Unless the Scale numbers are messed up, or the bfxm's corrupt, can't imagine what else would cause this.

EDIT:
Scale is okay; 16 for all of them, same as the original orion.
Last edited by chuck_starchaser on Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

There are a few reasons that a ship will not appear.

The most usual reason is that the line from units.csv is missing or wrong. Do you see LOAD_FAILED anywhere on your HUD screen when you target it?

Secondly, what does "invisible black blob" mean. Was it invisible or black. Black would indicate a lighting problem in the system or a missing texture. Invisible (you get 100 meters from it and see stars throguh the targetting box) would indicate a missing mesh file.
If you fire at it, does it get damaged/die?

Make sure there are no capitalization issues with the textures either.

FInally, deleting it from units.csv was the worst thing you can do. Now you've guarenteed that it will produce a LOAD_FAILED and invisible ship no matter how it is created. The proper way is to remove it from "faction_ships.py" in the modules folder. However you can fortunately repatch from the zip file again to restore a working units.csv
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Invisible as in not visible; I saw one (pun not quite intended) :D; a selection box in space with nothing in it.

I never looked to see if there was a LOAD_FAILED message, regrettably.

If the texture failed, the ship would look white, no? Or would that make the mesh seem transparent?

The selection box also seemed rather small, which I think was the case when the mesh was missing; but the meshes are there.

EDIT:
The mystery thickens: It can't be a mesh problem. The meshes for all the orions are the same, straight copies; and the textures are the same too. The only distinctions are subunits added on via units.csv, as far as I can tell.
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

Possibly stderr and stdout could give us some hints as to the source of this problem.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

I just went on a mission trying to find one of those and no luck. I'll try giving myself one of them...
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Well, I gave myself the OrionMK2b, the OrionMk2H, and the TarsusMk2, and all of them work as the player's ship; I see my ship fine at landings and from external view in space.

Is there any way that meshes might show for the player's ship but not for npc's? I mean, I did see a disembodied ship that was labelled orionmk2 something or other...

But just in case, Hathur, where did you download PU from? From the Downloads here?, or some other place?
And did you run the batch file after unzipping?

EDIT:
In faction_ships.py, line 315 names "orionMk2h",
but in units.csv, it is called "orionMk2H".
Could this be causing the problem?
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

Chuck, that capitalization looks fishy.

If you hacked yourself an Orion you may have capitalized it correctly, thus causing it to load properly.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Damn right; that is the problem. Tried lower-case 'h' in the save file, and I can fly the ship, but can't see it.

Would it be easy for the engine drop case-sensitivity? Causes NOTHING but problems.
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

Those bugs are already solved. Everybody make sure that you've run setup.bat in your /Privateer folder, otherwised you'll get loads of those bugs.

The remaining bugs will be solved with Zools fix within the next release of PU. It's already tested.
S1Genocide
Trader
Trader

Post by S1Genocide »

Theres a list of new ship changes for the next version or Variant changes here.

http://wcjunction.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=42

I myself am quite happy with the changes they have made. :D

I am looking forward to the next version guys can't wait. :wink:
Zool
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Zool »

You need to go through your current savegave with a good text editor and remove EVERY reference to the ships you do not want to appear, you must search the ENTIRE savegame file, and when you have removed them all save the file.

You can, as well, remove the appropriate entries from your units.csv, master_part_list.csv and just to be sure remove the ship folders from the units folder.
Time is an Illusion..............Lunchtime doubly so!! -Ford Prefect-
Check out Privateer themed goodies!
http://www.cafepress.com/soulfulngifted/2889859