Thanks for the game but I have additional questions

Forum For Privateer Remake
Psyco Diver 69
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Thanks for the game but I have additional questions

Post by Psyco Diver 69 »

First I wanted to say thanks, I remember being addicted to this game when I was a kid and you guys just caused me to go into a relapse of my addiction.

But I have a question, I love this style of game and I searched but I couldn't find anything saying if there will ever be a online version of this game. I just think it would be cool to get a couple buddies together to do a bounty hunting mission or patrol or talk to someone real as your making cargo runs. This would bring me to my second question, is there any game like that out? I've looked around and all I can find is space fighter games, nothing where you can do what ever you want like you can in this game
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Welcome Psyco Diver 69 there is work in progress to go multi-player just not ready for prime time.have fun some addictions are good :wink:

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
Psyco Diver 69
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Psyco Diver 69 »

thanks its good know
blackangel2008
Merchant
Merchant

Post by blackangel2008 »

I'm not sure but maybe "EVE Online"; I think that game is similar to this one,
then again I think it costs a fortune, I think you have pay every month or something...

There is a few others I think, but they all cost outrageous amounts and none of them have the fan support and well kept forums like the Vega Strike series(Privateer Remake, Gemini Gold, Vega Strike, Parallel Universe), so
your best bet is to wait a little while till it gets straightened up here; even though it's probably tempting to still search for something...

I like this "series" anyway b/c it's amazing what a community can come up with when a bunch of fans get together and brainstorm and in a matter of time there's a game that the whole world(or at least most of it can enjoy)...

:P
My current Machine: 05/29/2008 @ 4:48pm
Running:

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Manufacturer: TOSHIBA System Model: Satellite A105 System Type: X86-based PC
Processor#1: x86 Family 6 Model 14 Stepping 8 GenuineIntel ~1596 Mhz
Processor#2: x86 Family 6 Model 14 Stepping 8 GenuineIntel ~1595 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date: Phoenix Technologies LTD 2.00, 8/30/2006
SMBIOS Version: 2.31
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version: "5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)"
Total Physical Memory: 1,024.00 MB
Available Physical Memory: 547.37 MB
Total Virtual Memory: 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory: 1.96 GB
Page File Space: 2.39 GB
Jazzism
Insys Pilot
Insys Pilot

Post by Jazzism »

I do recall playng the closest game to Privateer a while ago. Aparenbtly it's still going too, It's called Jumpgate. It's not nearly as hellishly boring as EVE. Also the economy is primarily run by the players as well. First person flight with newtonian physics.

They're working on Jumpgate 2 now. I has to respond about to help let people know there's more space sims out there. This one has been around a long time too. Sorry for the thread necrosis.

PS. Privateer is by far the greatest game, it would be absolutely amazing if EA decided to put somthing together for Privateer PSP. Ohhh the possibilities lol.
MacFraggin
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by MacFraggin »

Hello everybody,
it's been rather quiet here of late, but since there's at least some activity I'm hoping someone can give me a hint.

I switched from GG to PR a few days ago, mainly because the prospect of getting to fly all those ships tempted me. So I play the game as usual, until in one mission that wings of Gothri keeps frying me over and over - and I had a fully upped Centurion with 4 Tacs. So that's how I came to wanting to fly a Gothri myself.
I did a search on these boards and found out how to hack the savegame accordingly, and voilà, I have a nice shiny sleek Gothri in my hangar. I had to fly around a bit to get all the upgrades, but now it's a real sweet ship, with 4 Tacs, B&S Omni, and so forth.

Problem: everyone's hating me now. That is, I get attacked by _all_ factions except Kilrathi. The funny thing is, the factions' behaviour doesn't correspond with the faction relation chart. BTW I haven't started the storyline yet.
On the list, I have like Confed +89, Hunter +65, all other "good guys" also ~+60, while Kilrathi are -50, Pirates and Retros around -100. Still, I get attacked by _everyone_ except Kilrathi.

I'm not even fighting back but instead play the chicken game with full Afterburner all the time, and only attack Pirates and Retros. Didn't help any so far.

What am I doing wrong? What do I have to do, in-game or otherwise, so that the "good" factions don't try to kill me on sight?
Thanks for any insight.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Welcome MacFraggin and Jazzism most of the PR guys are hanging here http://wcjunction.com/phpBB2/index.php they have also moved to the new version of the vegastike engine 8)

my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

Welcome --
never heard of this problem, though I don't consider it as a problem but rather a feature which would also fit in PU.

Try to communicate with your friends/foes or even shoot one down, maybe they need a "refresh" :wink:
MacFraggin
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by MacFraggin »

Thanks for the response. I now managed to find the cause, and solve the problem by editing the faction.xml. I simply changed the reaction value that each faction assigns for the ship "gothri.blank" from -,95 to ,2 or something.
Voilà, no more hassles with good guys.

I also was friendly with Kilrathy for quite a while, until for some reason my Kilrathi rating dropped rapidly from positive to -100, without me ever killing a single Cat until then. oO In the same time, my Pirate reaction improved to +100. Weird, but whatever.

Now I have a totally different new problem. One that doesn't seem to be connected with the ship, because it also occurs in non-hacked savegames. The problem is, ALL shipyards only offer limited services, even Perry, which means:

- NO ammunitions whatsoever can be bought OR sold
- NO Ships at all are available to buy, clicking the Ships tab brings up only "My Fleet";
- Weapon selection is EXTREMELY limited, essientally they only sell Particle Cannons and Tractor Beam conversions. NO other gun types, NO other mount modifications, above all NO autotracker.
- many other components are also not available

I confess that I hacked the units.xml file a bit *cough*, because I want the Gothri (Blank) able to carry 30 missiles instead of 3 (copying the Centurion code), and upped cargo space to 40 and stuff like that. Could that really be the reason? If not, what should I do?

Thanks again for your help.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

I have a feeling that you will need to wipe the priveter100 folder the one that holds your save games and fleet everything in there(move it somewhere else)but it's the generatedbsp that has become corrupted basically we are getting a first initiation run.

MacFraggin
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by MacFraggin »

Sorry, I don't quite understand. If I move/rename the privateer100 folder, will the game automatically rebuild it? So that means I'm losing all my savegames and have to start over?
Or are you saying it may suffice to just delete the generatebsp folder?
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

The rebuild is what we want to do renaming is great that way you get to keep your saves 8)

Jazzism
Insys Pilot
Insys Pilot

Post by Jazzism »

Thanks for the referal.

So is there a newer version of Priv Remake besides 1.2a?

I remember the old days old Priv original. I never had a joystick so I spoent hours sliding and sliding and sliding over and over and over... you get the idea with the mouse until I decided to get the stick. Just the basic Gravis analog.

Honestly I prefer the original game except for the lack of mouse control flying like we have now and dead turrets. I love your remake with these features and simplifies playing it on an XP system. Thank you fo ryour hard work!
MacFraggin
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by MacFraggin »

About my bug:
I renamed said directory, and the good news is that the game automatically rebuilt it on next game launch. The bad news is it didn't change anything about the shipyard inventory. So I guess I'll have to completely reinstall the game.
It's no big deal because I haven't started the story yet, so all I did up to now was accumulating cash and equipment, which I can easily hack. But I feel uneasy because it could happen again anytime, and it would stink losing my game when I'm deep into the story.

About controllers: I use a gamepad (Wingman Extreme), which isn't quite the same feeling as a pilot joystick, but it's decent and you have a lot of buttons you can assign any way you want. I guess I also have a joystick _somewhere_ but I vaguely remember it was quick to decalibrate, and anyway it wasn't as ergonomic as it looked.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

Jazzism wrote:Thanks for the referal.

So is there a newer version of Priv Remake besides 1.2a?
Mamiya Otaru, the main developer of PR, was back a few months ago, and started work on a 1.3 update; but I haven't heard of him lately.
He was a bit stuck with the problem of having to retexture all ships to take advantage of shaders in the new vegastrike engine. I told him we'd be starting to redo all the ships for the PU mod, soon; but that hasn't happened yet because we need to sort out some technical issues with shaders, normalmapping and tangent vectors. It'll all start happening very soon, tho.
micheal_andreas_stahl
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by micheal_andreas_stahl »

MacFraggin wrote:Problem: everyone's hating me now. That is, I get attacked by _all_ factions except Kilrathi. The funny thing is, the factions' behaviour doesn't correspond with the faction relation chart. BTW I haven't started the storyline yet.
On the list, I have like Confed +89, Hunter +65, all other "good guys" also ~+60, while Kilrathi are -50, Pirates and Retros around -100. Still, I get attacked by _everyone_ except Kilrathi.

I'm not even fighting back but instead play the chicken game with full Afterburner all the time, and only attack Pirates and Retros. Didn't help any so far.

What am I doing wrong? What do I have to do, in-game or otherwise, so that the "good" factions don't try to kill me on sight?
Thanks for any insight.
Nothing. It's the same if you fly any Pirate, Retro or Kilrathi ship, you will be attacked on sight, no matter what your relations are.

Sorry for the late answer, I hope you get it.

MAS
"The bullets come out of the slim end, mate!"

Sniper after dominating another Sniper
Team Fortress 2