Couple of Remake questions and a PU question??

Forum For Privateer Remake
Anscar
Hunter
Hunter

Couple of Remake questions and a PU question??

Post by Anscar »

Just started playing Remake yesterday and am really enjoying it. Great job!

Couple of questions tho': Cargo missions with my Centurion don't seem to work as in the original Privateer/RF. In the original game, you could use a Centurion to take 3 cargo missions simultaneously and the small cargo hold magically held all the cargo. In Remake, this doesn't seem to be the case. If I take two cargo missions, I fail the second mission on take-off because there's not enough cargo space available. However, it appears I can't even do one mission. If I take a single cargo mission in the Centurion, I don't fail it.....but I don't get paid.
Is this the way it's supposed to work?

Next question: Can I buy a cargo extension for the Centurion (as you could in the original game). Can't seem to find one that isn't redded out.

Finally, is there any reason not to install the PU mod on Remake now? Or is it avisable to play through the storyline(s) in the unmodifed Remake before trying PU? I assume that vanilla Remake saves are compatible with the PU mod. I wouldn't want to start over from scratch after I install PU.

Thanks for any help.
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

If I take a single cargo mission in the Centurion, I don't fail it.....but I don't get paid.
Depends on if you still got cargo in your hold. Sometimes, if you failed a cargo mission, the cargo just stays in your hold and you need to clear it. Despite of that, there are some minor bugs with cargo missions and not getting payed, correct, but that'll be fixed some day.
Can I buy a cargo extension for the Centurion (as you could in the original game). Can't seem to find one that isn't redded out.
There's a small one for fighters... a logical step, or have you ever seen a Maserati with a horse wagon? :wink:
Finally, is there any reason not to install the PU mod on Remake now?
The only reason I can think of now is that there'll be a totally new version of PU in a few weeks, so if you do not "waste" a 20mb download, I'd suggest to wait a bit.
Or is it avisable to play through the storyline(s) in the unmodifed Remake before trying PU?
PU doesn't take away any components of PR, so it doesn't matter.
I assume that vanilla Remake saves are compatible with the PU mod.
With this version of PU, yes. For the next release, you'll most likely have to start a new game (in case you used an elder PU) because of the new campaigns.
I wouldn't want to start over from scratch after I install PU.
In this case, I'd monitor the PU website and as soon as the new PU update is out, you can use that one. Just be aware you'll need to fly to Troy to make afterburners and JD availabe again then.
MamiyaOtaru
Privateer

Re: Couple of Remake questions and a PU question??

Post by MamiyaOtaru »

Anscar wrote:Just started playing Remake yesterday and am really enjoying it. Great job!

awesome!
In the original game, you could use a Centurion to take 3 cargo missions simultaneously and the small cargo hold magically held all the cargo. In Remake, this doesn't seem to be the case.
Pretty much by design. We liked the idea of tradeoffs. The Centurion is just so über ;)
If I take a single cargo mission in the Centurion, I don't fail it.....but I don't get paid.
Is this the way it's supposed to work?
That'd be a bug
Anscar
Hunter
Hunter

Post by Anscar »

Thanks for the replies. As you can see from my join date, I've been playing VS for a few years, but never really got into the Privateer stuff till now. I first tried a VS Privateer version a couple of years ago, but all it did was encourage me to replay the original Privateer/RF via DosBox. :) Gotta say I really like the current version of Remake.

One question still: Why is it that some of the original base stuff is animated and others not. For example, I note that none of the full-face npc conversations have any lip movement, yet base scenes have animation, i.e., people walking around or guys driving cargo trucks. I assume there's some technical reason for it. Not a biggee, just curious.

One thing I like about Remake is that it implements things that were omitted in the original game....such as turret AI and multiple ship ownership.
MamiyaOtaru
Privateer

Post by MamiyaOtaru »

Anscar wrote:I note that none of the full-face npc conversations have any lip movement, yet base scenes have animation, i.e., people walking around or guys driving cargo trucks. I assume there's some technical reason for it.
Indeed there is. Getting the lips to synch to the speech in the .wav files would be prohibitive. It'd be a matter of developing something like in Half Life 2, where the engine can analyze the speech patterns and adapt the facial movements, or going through each sound file and setting flags for lip movement (what the original did IIRC).

Of course we have lip movements in the comm screens, but those are small, undetailed and quick and look less "off." Anyway, we could have some lips flapping, but just decided against it.
One thing I like about Remake is that it implements things that were omitted in the original game....such as turret AI and multiple ship ownership.
That's stuff we like too, which is why it's there :)
Anscar
Hunter
Hunter

Post by Anscar »

Speaking of adding things...... Has that secret Kilrathi asteroid base that was talked about in bars been added.....or is that for me to find out? :wink: I spent a hellacious amount of time trying to locate that base back in the day, even tho' I knew it had to be an urban legend.

Is the only way to change key/mouse button assignment to edit vegastrike.config? I'm using the mouse instead of my stick (too much Freelancer, I guess) and I'd like to make a couple of changes.

Also, is there any way to launch two missiles simultaneously? Multiple IR missile launches got you quick kills in the original game. I think it was "hat up" on my stick that did it then. Not sure how this would translate into VS-types commands.
MamiyaOtaru
Privateer

Post by MamiyaOtaru »

Some things can be fun to find on your own ;) We'll still be here if you decide otherwise of course.

Yeah, editing vegastrike.config is the way to change keybindings. Not as nice as having an in-program method of doing it, but it gets it done.

Launching two missiles works if you have two launchers (otherwise you are subject to the launcher's reload time). It's a matter of pressing the launch button twice in rapid succession :)
loki1950
The Shepherd

Key bind editing

Post by loki1950 »

@Anscar there is new little tool in the Developer Tools & User Utilities that edits the keybindings section of the config file for vegastrike but it should be easy to change for PRhttp://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/forum ... php?t=8895 is a javascript that uses your web browser for the GUI 8)

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
Anscar
Hunter
Hunter

Post by Anscar »

Thanks for the link; the program looks really useful. As it happens I won't have to change the default mouse assignments after all. MB3 launches missiles....and if you have both launchers loaded, it launches two simultaneously (BOOM! Good bye Retro). Should have checked that out before asking the question, but I didn't really use any missiles before yesterday.

I note that launchers seem to come with your ship, unlike in the original game where you had to buy them. I assume this is mandated by how VS handles missiles.

I've also noticed that the payout I get for missions is gradually increasing. When I started a simple patrol mission got me 3-4K at most. Now I'm getting 6-7K per patrol mission. I assume there's some kind XP factor at work here, based on missions completed, kills, or both.
micheal_andreas_stahl
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by micheal_andreas_stahl »

I think that the price has to do with the ship you fly. Cargo missions will get you more creds if you use a drayman than a Tarsus.
"The bullets come out of the slim end, mate!"

Sniper after dominating another Sniper
Team Fortress 2