newbie to linux - installing the mod

Forum For Privateer Remake
Tarran
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

newbie to linux - installing the mod

Post by Tarran »

Ok, I'm newish to linux (especially the build I'm using/ubuntu 7.04)
I've gotten the svn verion of vegastrike. haven't compiled it or anything.. I tried looking for documentataion on how to put in the mod and so forth.. but all I get is the download page for privateer universe... so if someone wouldn't mind.. maybe I could get instructions on how to do this. like for instance.. do I compile vegastrike first.. or do I install the svn version of PU before compiling.. also.. where would I find the svn version of PU?
Do you hear, that whisper, calling unto you
O'childe of the shore
As have your brethern before you
beckoning, to sail to those distant lands
Come
embrace me, your mistress
Upon the coldest sea
micheal_andreas_stahl
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by micheal_andreas_stahl »

Hi, i don't like to see post going unnoticed, so i will post to bump it back to the top of the list.

Now for business.

I take it you have Vega Strike, not Privateer Remake. VS and PR are two different games.

Also PU installs onto PR, not VS. Try downloading PR first.

BTW What's SVN?

Andreas Stahl
Last edited by micheal_andreas_stahl on Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The bullets come out of the slim end, mate!"

Sniper after dominating another Sniper
Team Fortress 2
Tarran
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Tarran »

take it you have Vega Strike, not Privateer Remake. VS and PR are two different games.

Also PU installs onto PR, not VS. Try downloading PR first.
I had thought that VS and PR were the same.. when its attempting to install, it mentions VS 4.03 as the base for it.
so then. I got the PR linux install launched. it gets to the end.. says choose one option , I attempt to choose an option, and get this in terminal everytime I click on begin install
Gtk-WARNING **: invalid cast from (NULL) pointer to `GtkEntry'

Gtk-CRITICAL **: file gtkentry.c: line 534 (gtk_entry_get_text): assertion `entry != NULL' failed.

BTW What's SVN?
subversion. (what vegastrike moved to for getting the developemental version of VS)
O'childe of the shore
Come
Upon the coldest sea
zeo1234
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by zeo1234 »

They're based on the same game engine. They used the vegastrike game engine to re-create the Privateer Game in which PR is one version.

But Vegastrike is it's own game as well, as that is the game the game engine was originally created for.
Rezaele
Explorer
Explorer

Re: newbie to linux - installing the mod

Post by Rezaele »

Tarran wrote:Ok, I'm newish to linux (especially the build I'm using/ubuntu 7.04)
I've gotten the svn verion of vegastrike. haven't compiled it or anything.. I tried looking for documentataion on how to put in the mod and so forth.. but all I get is the download page for privateer universe... so if someone wouldn't mind.. maybe I could get instructions on how to do this. like for instance.. do I compile vegastrike first.. or do I install the svn version of PU before compiling.. also.. where would I find the svn version of PU?
Welcome to the boards!

Sorry not familiar with the linux version of the PR1.2 installer so I won't be of any help but I can only surmise that its probably dependencies issues since the file of PR1.2 was made on 2005.

Also there is no SVN version for PR or PU since Privateer Remake and Privateer Parallel Universe are MODS of Vegastrike.

Definitely, do not use the SVN version of vegastrike for the Privateer MOD since the MOD was done with an older version of the vegastrike engine and you'll definitely will run to numerous problems trying to run the PR1.2 on top of the SVN version of the Vegastrike engine.
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

That's our installer script.

You can disable it by either running it from a console, or by disabling the DISPLAY environment variable:

Code: Select all

export DISPLAY=
./install-script-command
So that the install script will revert to a simple console mode... weird that only you get those GTK errors.
Tarran
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Tarran »

if in console you mean the terminal window versus, say, a package manager.. that is how I am running it..

at the end of the unpacking of the .run file.. it brings up a menu with various options.. global options, free space, install path, binary path, ect... its then that I choose my options, and click on begin install.
O'childe of the shore
Come
Upon the coldest sea
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

I think you guys really need to make a subversion repository for your mods--it'll make it easier for engine developers (like me) to make sure the latest version of vega strike DOES work on it :-) and it will make it possible for the mod to continue to make progress even if some of you need to take breaks...

the VS team is most certainly interested in making sure that all mods work with the top of tree vega strike--and even if they don't...we've made a tag on the last known "working" vega strike a few days ago... http://svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/vegas ... june_2007/

so ya--- test if that works with your mods...and if not, some of you should mail engine devleopers with a pared down list of critical bugs to fix...
Vega Strike Lead Developer
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/
Tarran
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Tarran »

Sorry not familiar with the linux version of the PR1.2 installer so I won't be of any help but I can only surmise that its probably dependencies issues since the file of PR1.2 was made on 2005.

Also there is no SVN version for PR or PU since Privateer Remake and Privateer Parallel Universe are MODS of Vegastrike.

Definitely, do not use the SVN version of vegastrike for the Privateer MOD since the MOD was done with an older version of the vegastrike engine and you'll definitely will run to numerous problems trying to run the PR1.2 on top of the SVN version of the Vegastrike engine.
knew it was a mod of vegastrike. though, parallel is new to me.
I would wonder if perhaps there was a .gz or such of it, rather then .run.
O'childe of the shore
Come
Upon the coldest sea
Tarran
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Tarran »

is there maybe a different way of installing PR other then the .run? or even maybe a manual way to do the .run?

-=added on=-
Ok.. after a few more varients.. I did get the installer to function..

it installed.. however gave me the following errors
cp: cannot stat `/etc/timidity.cfg': No such file or directory
loki_setup: Script seems to have failed with error code 1.
loki_setup: 2 Unable to find file 'setup.base.xml' in '/tmp/selfgz31323'
loki_setup: 2 Unable to find file 'setup.music.xml' in '/tmp/selfgz31323'
loki_setup: 2 Unable to find file 'vslogo.xpm' in '/tmp/selfgz31323'
O'childe of the shore
Come
Upon the coldest sea