Put a Steltek fighter in your hangar!

Forum For Privateer Remake
Turbo
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Put a Steltek fighter in your hangar!

Post by Turbo »

Hey folks! I was working on some graphics for GG and got frustrated, so I decided to have some fun. So I put one of these in my hangar:
Flying this craft makes you untouchable against Khameks and other "stock" ships, but it needed a cockpit, so I made one worthy of its highly advanced technology. It boasts a big central viewscreen and a 360-degree bubble covered in smaller screens, and some interesting displays in an "alien" font:
And here is a screen shot that shows the AUTOPILOT light:
Naturally, this cockpit is totally inappropriate for GG, which is about reproducing the spirit of the original game. So I offer it to the Privateer Universe for what it may be worth.

The ZIP file contains my original artwork, designed to fit as a drop-in replacement for the Galaxy cockpit (i.e. same layout and a few of the same images such as shields and hull strength). I do not include anything that was not my original creation, such as the CPT code, because it's not mine and it wasn't that hard to make it work anyway. Basically, any files that are missing from the ZIP can be obtained or modified from the Galaxy cockpit.
http://www.willadsenfamily.org/us/don/t ... ockpit.zip

Disclaimer: Flying the Steltek fighter will teach you bad dogfighting habits. So have fun.

Good fortune,
Turbo
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

Thanks Turbo, I'll fiddle it in. Feel free to make more of those if you're frustrated again :)
targ collective
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by targ collective »

Thanks Turbo. I doubt we'll be able to find a use for this in a Steltek Fighter context - too uncanon even for PU - but modified Steltek tech is a possibility.

EDIT: Heh, we posted at the same time. Amazing how often that happens even in a quiet forum.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

Nice work, Turbo, and welcome to the PU board.
Can't wait to test-pilot this baby... :)
Orthuberra
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Orthuberra »

What about a campaign where you are a Steltek Privateer? :lol: I was actually toying with the idea myself, including making cockpits for the fighter on the derelict and the scout. Granted it would need some serious rebalance if it was to be any fun, but say you a steltek guy who milling about collecting stuff that your civilization left behind and you are getting paid for it. Different cargos, upgrades, secret bases coreward of Gemini, all sorts of fun stuff could be done! 8) Thanks for the graphics too!
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Playing a steltek privateer between Gemini and the galactic core might be fun if you have to get through the Mantu-controlled areas :D
z30
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Re: Put a Steltek fighter in your hangar!

Post by z30 »

Turbo wrote:Hey folks! I was working on some graphics for GG and got frustrated, so I decided to have some fun. So I put one of these in my hangar:
I like the ship & the cockpits specially - it really looks alien. Got no objections incorporating this into some PU storyline.

Got a suggestion for the radar & shield displays - these will look better higher up, it fits in with the branches motif.
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

About Orthuberra's Steltek campaign: Since we're already looking for content for a Steltek campaign, why not make the Steltek "pay" Burrows for collecting all the alien stuff in Gemini left behind? I mean, could the Steltek just fly through Gemini and tractor in their artifacts? Or wouldn't a human ship be better? Preferably one which already helped in wiping out Steltek tech?
z30
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by z30 »

Dilloh wrote:About Orthuberra's Steltek campaign: Since we're already looking for content for a Steltek campaign, why not make the Steltek "pay" Burrows for collecting all the alien stuff in Gemini left behind? I mean, could the Steltek just fly through Gemini and tractor in their artifacts? Or wouldn't a human ship be better? Preferably one which already helped in wiping out Steltek tech?
Human ship would be better - but the problem is, how will the Steltek guarantee that their human agent doesn't run away with the goods?
micheal_andreas_stahl
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by micheal_andreas_stahl »

Say, do something that if that if you deviate from you route you blow up?
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

Burrows once did the Steltek a favour in blowing up the drone - he is one of a few humans that know that the Steltek exist, plus he is the only one who ever got into contact with them, plus he is the only one who ever helped them with their isolationism by erasing steltek technology. He got the "silent" permission to keep the steltek gun in exchange for that. I'd say, if the Steltek cannot trust Burrows, which human can they place their faith in? Sure, they'd be dissapointed that the steltek gun came into the hand of the Retros, but nevertheless, Burrows also solved this problem and therefor, he'd be the logical choice for such an operation, IMHO.
targ collective
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by targ collective »

That's very well argued. I still find it hard to believe that the Steltek would not put in some 'silent' countermeasures, as insurance, though.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Dilloh wrote:Burrows once did the Steltek a favour in blowing up the drone.
Ehm... The Steltek did Burrows a favor by letting him blow up the drone. The steltek have put those drones scattered around purposely. The drones are programmed to detect steltek technology and destroy it. So the Steltek don't want to blow up their drones. The only favor Burrows did to them is to reveal the location of the base at Delta Prime.

If you guys are seriously considering a Steltek campaign, you might want to consider the premise that the steltek got wind of the fact that Burrows no longer has the gun he had; and want to know where it went...
And if the steltek are having any problems of their own, it ought to be that some other race managed to steal and reproduce their technology.
Now, the story with the Mantu was that they lived a few thousand light years towards the galactic core (to the East of Kilrah, on the map). They were kicking major kitty ass, and then suddenly disappeared.

We could hypothesize that the Mantu had stolen steltek technology, used it against the kats for a while, but then the Steltek got wind of it and went after the Mantu. Just my $0.02.
micheal_andreas_stahl
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by micheal_andreas_stahl »

And Burrows inadvertently stumbled across the Steltek home while working for the ES.

Or the Stel tek got in contact, which i doubt.

Edit:

I'm not mad on the stumble part but i like the ES part. The ES ws involved in the digging up of the gun (Cross missions) thus the ES wants Burrows to 'explore' newly dicovered systems.
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

targ wrote:I still find it hard to believe that the Steltek would not put in some 'silent' countermeasures, as insurance, though.
There is nothing to say against the Steltek trying to kill Burrows after he has done all missions. They are on a tech and culture level which would most likely consider Humans as ants, or maybe they are a race without ethics. So Burrows could need to flee from an "insurance".
chuck wrote:Ehm... The Steltek did Burrows a favor by letting him blow up the drone. The steltek have put those drones scattered around purposely. The drones are programmed to detect steltek technology and destroy it. So the Steltek don't want to blow up their drones. The only favor Burrows did to them is to reveal the location of the base at Delta Prime.
Hard to believe... in the Intro movie you see a DF hitting the obviously inactive Drone. I'm not sure if there are other ressources, but it seemed to me that the Drone had "slept" in the asteroid fields for millenia and just needed some "activation energy". Surely it chases Burrows for having the Steltek gun, but then I wonder why it didn't track down the Delta Prime base for the Steltek obviously seemed to know about it when the Scout meets Burrows. Plus, the Scout could have easily killed Burrows with its three boosted Steltek guns, so there was actually no need to make a deal. Which is not your fault, the story is just not tight enough.
chuck wrote:If you guys are seriously considering a Steltek campaign, you might want to consider the premise that the steltek got wind of the fact that Burrows no longer has the gun he had; and want to know where it went...
Wow, that's cool, and right, why not start at the most obvious point? This would also explain why the retros never reappeared in WC3 or following. Assumably the Steltek erased the high-tech-retro fleet until then for they all had steltek gun aboard. I'd say, this is really canon, or at least fitting?
chuck wrote:We could hypothesize that the Mantu had stolen steltek technology, used it against the kats for a while, but then the Steltek got wind of it and went after the Mantu. Just my $0.02.
As I said, the same with the retros is possible. Make a deal with the devil and you go to hell.
chuck wrote:I'm not mad on the stumble part but i like the ES part. The ES ws involved in the digging up of the gun (Cross missions) thus the ES wants Burrows to 'explore' newly dicovered systems.
The ES and the Steltek homeworld were also on my list, but the mistery would benefit even more from the steltek being a somewhat randomly appearing race. The story chuck suggested seems good to me. But I stick to the point that Burrows obviously gained the Steltek's respect, at least I see no other reason why the Steltek made the gun a "present" - until it was stolen.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

my take was that the steltek are honorable. They couldn't kill burrows AND find out where he got the gun, so they make a deal; and then... they honor it.
Turbo
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Turbo »

Thanks for the comments. This was just a drop-in replacement that uses parts of the Galaxy cockpit, because I don't know the scripting language, so that's why the screens are arranged the way they are.

If I was designing something from scratch, it would be somewhat different. I was always annoyed with the original Privateer that while the displays have a 1960s technology look whose function degrades based on ship damage, but the targeting reticle and set/kps speeds are on a transparent indestructible 1980s tech HUD. It seemed inconsistent, which is why the displays are mounted on a minimalist structure. If I wanted to go totally alien, I'd have gone with transparent dark-green glass or something like that.

Anyway, enjoy the diversion from serious playing.

Turbo