Wot's eh the deal?

Forum For Privateer Remake
Bubba
Trader
Trader

Wot's eh the deal?

Post by Bubba »

First off, great job on getting this dinosaur to work on XP. I've been searching off and on for years for a way to play it again, but.........

I'm getting murdered trying to do Lynch's second mission. I get to Rikel and get gang banged by 4 demon's, 2 dralthi and 2 or three Kilrathi's (whatever the disc shaped ship is called)......... and I'm playing the EASY mode. What6 is hard like? They hit me once or twice and I'm dead. As a matter of fact, I'm dead before the dude even finishes his speech. 20 missiles have no effect, plasma cannons bounce off and yet like I said, one or two hits and I'm toast, usualkly the first one will either waste my after burners, radar or both and then the next once I'm "sucking void". On a "good" run I only have to fight through a brazzillion nasty's to even GET to Rikel, leaving me weakened and near depleted on missiles. On an ESPECIALLY good run I jump into Rikel right into a meteor and instantaneously destruct. Man this is fun........

I'm playing with keyboard control. I always did on the original game and never had a problem controlling the flight or kicking butt on the hardest level.

Also I keep reading about "auto tracking" which supposedly can be found at Perry. I don't see it. I'm loolking in the upgrade screen, is it somewhere else, under a rock somewhere hidden by a four leaf clover?
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

I assume you're talking about the weapons shipment to Riva. There's no need to kill Kroiz, your objective is just to deliver the weapons. Hit afterburners as soon as you jumped in, or download the mod and use the Fireblade with its cloaking device.

ATs are available at Perry in the cat "mount upgrades".
Bubba
Trader
Trader

Post by Bubba »

Thanks, I don't see the mount upgrades though. Also I've tried blazing past as soon as I get to rikel (I'm flying a Centurion) and they chase me down, again before I even hear his whole little speech, and kill me. My rear turret bounces off them as well.

On another note. I captured a pilot, went to the m screen (manifest) hit ALT s and the pilot remained a pilot, not a slave. What did I do wrong there? I downloaded the game just a couple of days ago so it should be the "latest greatest" version shouldn't it? And what about the wingmen I keep reading about?
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

Thanks, I don't see the mount upgrades though.
Actually, it's Weapons/Mount Enhancements. Perry and New Detroit are the only places where you get them regularly, as far as I know.
Also I've tried blazing past as soon as I get to rikel (I'm flying a Centurion) and they chase me down, again before I even hear his whole little speech, and kill me. My rear turret bounces off them as well.
It is one of the harder missions, but those ships usually generate some seconds after you entered Rikel, so it is rather strange what happens to you. You're not using Gemini Gold, do you?
On another note. I captured a pilot, went to the m screen (manifest) hit ALT s and the pilot remained a pilot, not a slave.
Never heard about a hotkey to enslave pilots. Actually you don't need to enslave them for they are the same vargo type as slaves, they're both contraband and both have the same price. ALT+S does something with shields if I remember correnctly.
And what about the wingmen I keep reading about?
Wingmen can be acquired at the mission computer like a normal mission, they appear sometimes as the category "In System Wingmen".
Bubba
Trader
Trader

Post by Bubba »

Hmmmmmmm......... now that you mention it I think I DO have the Privateer Gold thingie. I just downloaded from the first link I came to from google.

What's the difference? The version I have says "Vega Strike Open Source Space Simulator" in the properties. I thought ya'll were basically the same. Should I uninstal and then reinstal (after I finish this game lol) to have the right version to ask questions on this forum and to download the PU (whatever that is, still trying to figure out between playing Privateer) and other games?

I still see no wingman or AT, but on the 237th attempt (more or less, I didn't start counting for a while lol) at the mission, I killed one guy, and the rest, including Kilrathi all ran into rocks. What a way to win, eh?

Thanks for answering my questions and if you don't mind, later I'm going to write a book length PM with questions on this project. I've been trying to read the back threads but there are a buttload of them and they all seem to pre-suppose (is that even a word) prior knowledge. I'd rather send a PM than clutter up the forum if that's ok with you. Wish I had found this place a couple of years ago. I have jumped through many hoops trying to play my privateer again over the years. I almost downloaded 3.11 on my extra hard drive just to try but never got around to it........... :shock:
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

In the beginning there was Privateer Remake (PR), and it was good, and was in this forum.

Later came Gemini Gold (GG), which is a high canon fidelity fork of the original PR. Separate project, different website.

Privateer Parallel Universe (PU) is a PR fans' project built as an expansion on top of PR. That's here and now.

CanonHUD and stuff, off Dilloh's siggie, is a set of (almost) current updates to PU. ("Almost", because there's also new turrets from Targ Collective, new art from Orthuberra, and probably other things I'm missing; --not to speak of all the juicy stuff coming up...)
Bubba
Trader
Trader

Post by Bubba »

Is there tension or co operation between the two groups? <he hesitantly asks>

How can I tell which version I have? I'm pretty sure I downloaded it from here because I didn't know the other site existed until I saw the beta testing thread on the forums and followed it. Or is that how I got here? I'm so confusable......... :?

EDIT: Oh I just checked. I got here from there. Guess I have the gold version. That may be the reason I'm not seeing thre things talked about here. I reckon I'll download the version from here after I finish this game.
Orthuberra
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Orthuberra »

I just found about the game a month or so ago myself and I've been trying to find an answer to that myself. From what my conspiracy wracked brain can gather, there is cooperation on the surface with a seedy underbelly of tension. Don't trust me on this though, my brain has a weird way of working. :roll: Oh, and some of the developers of Privateer Remake started the Gemini Gold thing, which may be where some tension is. :?
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

Orthuberra wrote:Oh, and some of the developers of Privateer Remake started the Gemini Gold thing
That's not so.
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

Bubba wrote:I thought ya'll were basically the same. Should I uninstal and then reinstal (after I finish this game lol) to have the right version to ask questions on this forum and to download the PU (whatever that is, still trying to figure out between playing Privateer) and other games?
Basically yes - just for we can mod PR to have e.g. a new ship which wouldn't be in the spirit of GG, for example. PU is an expanison to PR, offering those new ships and stuff. And yes, if you had questions about GG, you're most likely in the wrong forum - but never mind. I don't know what happens if one installed PU over GG, but I think that'd be frankensteinish :twisted: and therefor worth a try.
Bubba wrote:I still see no wingman or AT, but on the 237th attempt (more or less, I didn't start counting for a while lol) at the mission, I killed one guy, and the rest, including Kilrathi all ran into rocks. What a way to win, eh?
Now that it is clear you're playing GG, I can tell you that wingman and ATs are no features off GG, among with other cool stuff. Oh and congratulations for annoying your foes long enough to commit suicide :lol:
Bubba wrote:Thanks for answering my questions and if you don't mind, later I'm going to write a book length PM with questions on this project. I've been trying to read the back threads but there are a buttload of them and they all seem to pre-suppose (is that even a word) prior knowledge. I'd rather send a PM than clutter up the forum if that's ok with you. Wish I had found this place a couple of years ago. I have jumped through many hoops trying to play my privateer again over the years. I almost downloaded 3.11 on my extra hard drive just to try but never got around to it...........
Yeah fine, feel free to pm. Lol and there's no need to install Windows 3.11 to run the original Priv, there's an emulator called dosbox which does the job quite fine.
Butta wrote:How can I tell which version I have? I'm pretty sure I downloaded it from here because I didn't know the other site existed until I saw the beta testing thread on the forums and followed it. Or is that how I got here? I'm so confusable.........
The GG homepage partially also lies on wcuniverse.sourceforge.net. If your splash screen says "Privateer Remake", you have PR, else you have GG. The GG beta test thread actually is some sort of advertisement and its placement in this forum could give a wrong impression, as shown by your example.
micheal_andreas_stahl
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by micheal_andreas_stahl »

Orthuberra wrote:From what my conspiracy wracked brain can gather, there is cooperation on the surface with a seedy underbelly of tension.
There appears to be VERY little cooperation. AFAIK there is no cooperation, but a lot of tension.
targ collective
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by targ collective »

Something I mean to change. It's high time we merged devteams a little and thought about working together more closely. I don't care what the history is, I have it from Jack himself that GG don't bear any grudges against PR or PU now, if they ever did, and that's all the reason we need to set up a dedicated subforum geared around collaberative efforts. Let us do this without delay.

Forward the Union, Peace and Prosperity!
micheal_andreas_stahl
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Ok, I'll let it be Targ.
S1Genocide
Trader
Trader

Post by S1Genocide »

targ collective wrote:Something I mean to change. It's high time we merged devteams a little and thought about working together more closely. I don't care what the history is, I have it from Jack himself that GG don't bear any grudges against PR or PU now, if they ever did, and that's all the reason we need to set up a dedicated subforum geared around collaberative efforts. Let us do this without delay.

Somehow I doubt that will happen.

They don't want to share bugfixes.

They don't want to share graphics (btw how you can claim sell graphics for an open source game I do not know.) This is a mod for vega strike. Vegas Strike = Open source GNU
Targ, keep in mind not to take any graphics out of the game. If a team member wants to share his/her work with you, he/she will post it to your forum.
They are mean to new users. They are making the game for themselves. NOT others. Whenever a dev takes a harsh position the majority wants. Thats the way I see it.

Most of Bubbas original complaints were moddable. They did not even tell him how to mod one text file to make the gameplay the way he wants. I work for senators and congressman. You do not want to get in a GNU federal arguement with me. I could take away their graphics with but a cell phone call. to quote The Incredible Hulk. Angry? You wouldn't want to see me when I'm angry.

They need to start being nicer to newbies. They do not know who they are talking to over the net it could be anybody.
micheal_andreas_stahl
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Yeah, you are right. It mostlike won't happen.
They need to start being nicer to newbies. They do not know who they are talking to over the net it could be anybody.
Yeah i agree with that too.

Hmmm, How CAN you seal something that's open source? AFAIK you can't.
Bubba
Trader
Trader

Post by Bubba »

S1Genocide wrote:
targ collective wrote:Something I mean to change. It's high time we merged devteams a little and thought about working together more closely. I don't care what the history is, I have it from Jack himself that GG don't bear any grudges against PR or PU now, if they ever did, and that's all the reason we need to set up a dedicated subforum geared around collaberative efforts. Let us do this without delay.

They don't want to share bugfixes.

They don't want to share graphics (btw how you can claim sell graphics for an open source game I do not know.) This is a mod for vega strike. Vegas Strike = Open source GNU
Targ, keep in mind not to take any graphics out of the game. If a team member wants to share his/her work with you, he/she will post it to your forum.
They are mean to new users. They are making the game for themselves. NOT others. Whenever a dev takes a harsh position the majority wants. Thats the way I see it.

Most of Bubbas original complaints were moddable. They did not even tell him how to mod one text file to make the gameplay the way he wants. I work for senators and congressman. You do not want to get in a GNU federal arguement with me. I could take away their graphics with but a cell phone call. to quote The Incredible Hulk. Angry? You wouldn't want to see me when I'm angry.

You are right about that. LOL Bubba's "cousin" works for DARPA with a PhD in "artificial intelligence". He could wreak such havoc on their site and their game coding that they would never be able to fix it or trace it. But why bother? Small petty minded people with a bellyfull of self importance need to think they a "big" people too. Don't be angry with them. Pity them. They are the Retro's of this game as someone pointed out. I mean for gosh sakes, you don't think there is more stuff the original developers of this game would have done more with it if they could have had the technology to work with?

Ever seen some of Michaelangelo's (hmmm that looks like it's spelled wrong but it's not tripping the spelling autosnagger) flying devices? If they had the technology back then to make it, he had a design for a freaking helicopter.

Don't sweat the small stuff S1. Look at it like this. The luddites have no creative ability or spark. They took someone else's ideas and made them work on today's technology. The folks over here took took a game we all loved, made it work on today's technology and THEN used THEIR creative spark to make it even better. And all in their spare time. Gotta love it.
z30
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by z30 »

Let's look at the current situation objectively.

GG is 100% canon no changes, PR/PU modifications won't be relevant in this case.

GG won't share the graphics upgrades with PR/PU (John has expressed this, and I don't borrow stuff against the creator's wishes). Our graphic upgrades are available to them any time - they just have to download the mod.

There is no common ground which will justify a joint effort. Also, this is a voluntary project and the consensus of the current people working on this mod (Dilloh, Chuck, Melonhead, Zool, Solon, me & others) is that we're happy with our current team composition.

Players have the complete freedom to choose either mod, with zero fear of being discriminated by us.

Also I'd like to say, this is a joy for us to work on and it gives us great pride to see others using our mod. Your opinions and feedback matter to us very much.

And as far as I'm concerned, what guides us is what Mamiya(creator of PR) would have wanted for this mod. Spirit's opinions also matter to me being one of those who worked hardest for PR & WCU.

All else is group consensus - and by group I mean those who have really contributed to this effort in one way or another.
micheal_andreas_stahl
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Dilloh wrote:I don't know what happens if one installed PU over GG, but I think that'd be frankensteinish :twisted: and therefor worth a try.
I ought to try that. Would make GG worth getting. :twisted: :twisted:
"The bullets come out of the slim end, mate!"

Sniper after dominating another Sniper
Team Fortress 2