Hello & suggestions!

Forum For Privateer Remake
Orthuberra
Merchant
Merchant

Hello & suggestions!

Post by Orthuberra »

Hi everybody, I just joined as you can see, anyways I was looking for the original as abandonware and found you guys instead a week or two ago. This game is great I remember being addicted to it like 10 years ago and now I'm addicted to the remake!

Anyways on to the meat of my first post. I was wondering if anyone (and who) was still working on improving the game, or if the modders have been drifting off to other projects. I would love to help and this brings me to my list of suggestions (I've already played through the Steltek & RF campaigns!).

Artwork (I would like to help if your still looking for people)
-Remake base scenes in new rendered graphics
-Finish cockpits (I noticed some cockpits are old school graphics still), I think the Drayman could have a bridge type scene like some super-tanker.
-The graphics for that santuary moon on RF (why is it some random photo scene?)
-Make the Pirate bases in-flight look a little more distinct from mining bases (maybe just a new texture).

Is there a limit to the size of posts here? Answers will be appreciated :wink:
Orthuberra
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Orthuberra »

Some more suggestions:

Ships/Fighters
-You should not be able to get a Paradigm or Kamekh ever (would the United States sell a destroyer to some guy in the Merchant Marine for doing something good? Surplus arms is one thing, this is implausible)
-Drayman schematic has has icons for 4 turrets on the schematic, yet the Drayman cannot be upgraded likewise (this should be a pilotable ship as it's a merchant ship primarily, turrets should be restricted to light-medium weapons only though)
-Just a thought, if the Stiletto/Broadsword/Gladius are still going to be available in PR 1.3, make them milspec only choices for the player (like the country letting someone buy surplus arms, but not letting them get a souped up mega-fighter version) so it's love it or leave it.
-Tone down the Demon for god's sakes! (Oxford 3 & Palan 3 were horribly hard) Once I bought mine I beat RF in 1 day, never used another ship since!

Gameplay/code
-I noticed in the files everything has sector/system, I'm assuming this is used to generate random encounters and whatnot. Anyways, would it be possible to make it sector/quadrant/system? Say for example to make it less likely you'll encounter Kilrathi in Humboldt quad, but more likely in Clarke. I seem to be able to encounter everything everywhere at about the same rate in this game and I just don't find it that realistic to be encountering dralthis 6 or 7 jumps into Confed space without there being a good reason (i.e. part of the plot of a campaign and as a special encounter).
-Trading: I thought the trade system also needed some working on, mainly the fact that you got guys in cargo ships trying to blow past platoons of retros and pirates to make a few credits per ton of cargo? It should be little more profitable than it is now.

Hope you like what I have to say, I'd be willing to help if I knew who was in charge of what and what programs they're using. Keep in touch :)
targ collective
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by targ collective »

Yes, people are still working on it but you're posting in the wrong place.

Privateer Gemini Gold is true to form.

Privateer Remake bends the rules and makes things a little more fun, but still tries to stay true to the spirit of the original. The difference is that you can get Paradigms/Khameks; no you can't buy them as some grubby privateer, you must be both very very rich and well trusted by doing missions for the respective faction.

(On the filesystem this game is based on Vegastrike, which predates it. You'd be amazed how many more important things there are than changing how the engine deals with files, although there is most definitely a case for letting the game tell you which quadrant you're in if the data's there.)

Privateer Universe is completely freeform as far as I can tell, and is the current hot topic in the community. It is that which will eventually expand the Privateer universe (ha ha) into different classes of ships. (Everything from fighter to command ship.) Why, I myself have recently developed a new turret system which uses autotracking and heavy turret variants, and just recently a very talented modeller called Chuck Starchaser has given me some assistance with weapon mounts in the DraymanCVL. (CVL does not mean civilan in WC canon; it means light carrier. There has been some confusion on this, even within PU itself).

Why not head over to the Wing Commander Universe forums and get yourself the upgrade to the upgrade to the upgrade? (PUGG > PR > PU > TCTP)
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

Hi everybody, I just joined as you can see, anyways I was looking for the original as abandonware and found you guys instead a week or two ago.
That's how most of us found it, I assume :D
I was wondering if anyone (and who) was still working on improving the game, or if the modders have been drifting off to other projects.
We're still quite active around here. I am currently hosting the Parallel Universe Mod, a mod aiming to include new features to the game or bring back features which have been taken out for the sake of balance. We implement new ships, items, campaigns, rebalance, etc. The core of the team consists of Melonhead, Zool and me. Follow the link in my signature to download the mod (if you use Windows, you only need PU1.1b6-DSE; unzip it into your installation folder and run setup.bat afterwards).
Remake base scenes in new rendered graphics
We have no active artworker on board, I'd appreciate that enormously!!!
Finish cockpits (I noticed some cockpits are old school graphics still), I think the Drayman could have a bridge type scene like some super-tanker.
Though I personally don't care too much for cockpits, there have been many requests in the past - I've found a cockpit for capships and will release it with the next update, but nevertheless, a bridge-like cockpit would fit the concept better.
The graphics for that santuary moon on RF (why is it some random photo scene?)
The random photo is a generic pic for unassigned bases - indeed, it could use some more beauty. If you like to take care of that, feel free to put in what you like - note that it is most likely light-populated and shouldn't contain entries to cooperate institutions like guilds or dealers - just a retro planet.
Make the Pirate bases in-flight look a little more distinct from mining bases (maybe just a new texture).
I'm looking forward for your propositions.
Is there a limit to the size of posts here?
I don't know... if there is, I never busted it, and I often post large bunches. Note that attachments need to be below 1meg and not all extensions are allowed.
You should not be able to get a Paradigm or Kamekh ever
Of course not, but wouldn't you like to own a tank instead of a mazda :lol: ? Seriously, you'll find a lot of canonity discrepancies in the game and even more in PU - nevertheless, if you are looking for more story realism for the cost of features, Gemini Gold will be a better choice for you (please don't take this as a try to get rid of you :wink: )
Drayman schematic has has icons for 4 turrets on the schematic, yet the Drayman cannot be upgraded likewise (this should be a pilotable ship as it's a merchant ship primarily, turrets should be restricted to light-medium weapons only though)
Yes, the turret icons are a remnant of the original game (which also didn't have those turrets btw). The Drayman is buyable, you most likely missed it after finishing the mission at Oxford.
Just a thought, if the Stiletto/Broadsword/Gladius are still going to be available in PR 1.3, make them milspec only choices for the player (like the country letting someone buy surplus arms, but not letting them get a souped up mega-fighter version) so it's love it or leave it.
PR1.3 will most likely not become truth. Work on PR has stopped, we're just modding PR1.2 for it offers more flexibility than Gemini Gold. However, it would be no problem to take out buyable ships or at least give a reasonable campaign-explanation why the player gets access to them... in my new campaign, I often let the player help certain high-ranking engineers or officer who thank him in form of an "access-card" to new ships.
Tone down the Demon for god's sakes! (Oxford 3 & Palan 3 were horribly hard) Once I bought mine I beat RF in 1 day, never used another ship since!
The Demon is actually the best ship before RF starts. Afterwards, shield stats for the Centurion increase. We had millions of discussions about the Demon, most people insist on keeping the ship as is. The next patch will increase other ships with the start of RF - creating a better balance to the Demon.
I noticed in the files everything has sector/system, I'm assuming this is used to generate random encounters and whatnot. Anyways, would it be possible to make it sector/quadrant/system? Say for example to make it less likely you'll encounter Kilrathi in Humboldt quad, but more likely in Clarke. I seem to be able to encounter everything everywhere at about the same rate in this game and I just don't find it that realistic to be encountering dralthis 6 or 7 jumps into Confed space without there being a good reason (i.e. part of the plot of a campaign and as a special encounter).
Good point. To explain: Every faction has spawning points where ships are generated. You might have noticed when you first launched, Troy was empty. You most likely encountered militia ship next, that is because they have a spawning point in Pyrenees. However, every ship has a range of 7 jumps - that's why you meet everyone everywhere. But at least non-mission-ships are likely to stay in their area - at least I never encountered a cat ship in Pentonville. We could reduce the jump range for cat ships though, but ships like talons are used by various factions and just need to be spread everywhere.
Trading: I thought the trade system also needed some working on, mainly the fact that you got guys in cargo ships trying to blow past platoons of retros and pirates to make a few credits per ton of cargo? It should be little more profitable than it is now.
Melonhead is currently reworking the trade system so that "standard" trading will be more profitable.

Concerning Targ Collective's upgrade, I'd propose to check out Parallel Universe first.
Orthuberra
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Orthuberra »

Of course not, but wouldn't you like to own a tank instead of a mazda Laughing ? Seriously, you'll find a lot of canonity discrepancies in the game and even more in PU - nevertheless, if you are looking for more story realism for the cost of features, Gemini Gold will be a better choice for you (please don't take this as a try to get rid of you Wink )
I actually like PR more because it allows more options for ships & allows you to own more than one. I was just suggesting not allowing the Paradigm or Kamekh for the sake of realism and not canonism. My line of thinking was, Confed wasn't going to be pawning warships off on the market (Your a privateer, right? What if they sell you the Paradigm and you go pirate on them since you have no loyalties) Just doesn't seem that logical to me. Oh and I plan on staying like it or not :lol:

I did buy a Drayman at Oxford actually, but a blank one, did the milspec version have turrets. I just think for a ship of its size and slowness, 2 forward facing meson guns isn't logical, turrets would be though.

Good to here you guys are still active, sad to hear no knows when if 1.3 will be out. I'll see if I can dig up my cad and architecture programs and work up some new 3D bases. 8)

Also see about making a minor pirate base texture modification, maybe greyscale rock with with some black/red symbols stripes on the base itself?

I also have an idea for a Privateer campaign where your not Burrows, but as a pirate, set in the same timeline, maybe a little earlier (2667 or something), kind of setup as a different story in the same area though. But this is an idea that'll probably never be (I know about the bonus campaign).
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

We do have a Privateer Zero project, but much earlier; starts around 2632.
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/wiki/ ... r_Universe
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

I did buy a Drayman at Oxford actually, but a blank one, did the milspec version have turrets. I just think for a ship of its size and slowness, 2 forward facing meson guns isn't logical, turrets would be though.
The milspec also doesn't have turrets. With the drayman, you can make millions of credits in one cargo run, so it should be worth the risk. Nevertheless, check out the DraymanCVL for something in between your needs.
Also see about making a minor pirate base texture modification, maybe greyscale rock with with some black/red symbols stripes on the base itself?
As I said, I usually appreciate any form of contribution, and I'd kill for new artwork.
I also have an idea for a Privateer campaign where your not Burrows, but as a pirate, set in the same timeline, maybe a little earlier (2667 or something), kind of setup as a different story in the same area though. But this is an idea that'll probably never be (I know about the bonus campaign).
It's hard to realize other characters for I can't tell the engine to kick your money and ships... but if you have further Burrows-ideas, I can implement them with relative ease.
targ collective
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

We need all the content we can get around here. It's great to see another contributor. One thing that would be great is less pixellated base art - no idea how that could be looked at but 800x600 or better yet, 1024x768 resolution for those animations would be great.

Pirate bases do indeed need new textures.

In fact it's hard to find something that can't be improved - we all add to it in our spare time really, those of us who add anything, so there are loads of little things all over the place that could be refined. Just be all you can be and do your best; there's no shortage of tasks for those interested.

EDIT: If you use a series of modified explore_universe_missions for campaign control and tell each to load up a relevant copy of new_game with the start system, ship and credit information embedded in it you could do this. You'd have to use Launcher.exe to choose between roles until a GUI is embedded for it in the EXE though. And I'm not sure if savegames would work between roles yet - loading a pirate savegame under a Kilrah explore_universe would maybe give you kilrah missions as a pirate?
Orthuberra
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Orthuberra »

cool, cool, cool thanks Dilloh, Chuck, & Targ, I'm already looking through these CSV files and playing with my uber-Drayman 8) I'm already working up new equipment types for my pirate campaign! Raider Jump Drive, Steltek Armor (play through campaign only), new contraband & more!

Edit: nevermind I got it (One last question though, I have blender w/ xmesh importer, but these unit files are bfxm, where do I get imports or converters into anything blender uses (xmesh, obj, etc)?)

Thanks for all your help! :)
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

In theory, you should be able to use "mesher", a utility in cvs, to convert bfxm to obj, but last time I tried it didn't work. The best solution is for you to download the shippack:
http://deeplayer.com/spiritplumber/WCU-shippack-5.1.zip
where you'll find most ships in PU/WCU and then some.
We've got tons of modelling work to do, btw, if you know how to use Blender ;-)
Orthuberra
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Orthuberra »

I found the conversion topic in the artwork forum earlier, but thank you the converter is working good. I already retextured the pirate base and made a new unit file for it and changed the csv files accordingly. :D I then added the names of pirate bases to the star system files. Below is screenshot of my texture. I'm still on whether or not to make the texture different, especially the asteroid, too dark, I think I'll go for lighter grey. I've also been toying with the idea of changing the shapes/structures on the base, not too much, but a little.

[Edit]Deleted attachments to save my quota space. Downloads further down thread though!
Last edited by Orthuberra on Mon May 21, 2007 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

I'm curious about the jump drive, what is its purpose?

If you need help with campaign scripting, I'm pretty deep into it. If you have any problems, let me know.

Also, please track all changes you do... problem is we cannot put in mods like a module, but we rather need to paste everything carefully - if your stuff turns out to be good, you might want to see it implemented in Parallel Universe, which is currently the largest (the only?) mod for Privateer Remake out there - excluding WCU of course, but WCU is currently rather a library of which we can make use.

From the screenshots I see you didn't make a false promise... the base indeed looks very nice! If you'd like, consider it part of the next PU update!
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

I like the work, if not the direction, myself; I think more subtle changes would be in order: In my mind pirates aren't a neatpicky, industrious bunch that would take a mining base and improve it --paint it with flashy red stripes, with a kind of suburban pretty home owner pride. Quite the contrary: a mining base taken over by pirates should look run down, "rusty"? (I know there's no oxygen in space to rust anything, but... or at least more dirty (coffee stains on the specular texture?).) You know what I mean?; it should look like an abandoned mine, dark, with no lights outside, hardly any light visible inside; perhaps some improvised structures added, like extra turrets, or better yet, pieces of captured ships attached to it, --a bit of a junkyard... Just IMHO.

Glad to have a new helping hand, though.

EDIT:
Keep in mind that mines have a strong symbology in privateer: All secret meetings and all secretive characters you meet initially at mines, or go to hiding in mines. When Lynch is defeated by Menesch in RF (after the retro sieges of New Detroit and New Castle), he goes into hiding at a mine; and only Tayla knows where he is. Before RF, when Goodin is looking for you, to invite you to the *secret* ambush of the steltek drone, she meets you at a mine. So pirate bases aren't mining bases for no reason... I would even go as far as the pirates having painted the structures the same color as the rock, as if to "camouflage" them...
Zool
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Zool »

Nice work Orthuberra, very good. Looking forward to seeing more. :D

And Chuck (forgive me please), it's Newcastle, one word, not New Castle. (I live in Newcastle Australia) :wink:
Time is an Illusion..............Lunchtime doubly so!! -Ford Prefect-
Check out Privateer themed goodies!
http://www.cafepress.com/soulfulngifted/2889859
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

My apollogies; shudda seen that. What happened I guess is that I got confused and wrote New Caledonia, so I quickly hit edit and edited just to the right of the C...

One more thing, I was just thinking: Red is the color of the Kilrathi. Pirate's color, if anything, shoud be black, methinks. Background of the skull and bones is black. The only named pirate ship in Privateer is the Black Rhombus...
Orthuberra
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Orthuberra »

Thanks for the advice, I didn't even think about the mining/pirate bases and secret meetings connection, but now that you mention it is interesting, I'm not so sure about the rust effect though, I think it would be nearly on the same level as if I made little space barnacles and stuff in the texture. :wink: But the idea itself I get and the camouflage idea sounds good to me. I don't think I'll go so far as to use the asteroid texture itself, but instead darken the metal texture and lighten the asteroid texture so they combine. I may also do the glass a more tinted limo effect as opposed to purple, but not sure yet. The red will have to stay in some fashion though, it's my favorite color! :wink:
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Rust is not easy to do if you're trying to, but if you're trying to achieve something else you're likely to get it... :)
http://deeplayer.com/dan_w/WCUships/Cut ... nshot9.jpg
I was combining ambient occlusion bakes and radiosity bakings, and after several steps of filtering, blending and filtering again, I ended up with that.
If you know how to do radiosity baking in Blender, you can place a few objects near the mesh radiating red light, and then combine the result of the baking with the diffuse texture. Also, you can save a copy of the radiosity baking, desaturate it in Gimp, and invert it, then blend it with the specular texture, so that rusty areas appear more matte.
Another technique is to render bake an ambient occlusion of a mesh while having other shapes randomly scattered near the surface, so that they cast ambient shadows that look like smoke marks. ;-)
Orthuberra
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Orthuberra »

Thanks much, I decided on no rust, but that doesn't mean I can't use your advice elsewhere :) Well here is the new version of the base, I shrunk the file as I don't want to fill up my 10meg quota, which I'll fear may come too quickly! All I did here was edit my texture files in gimp for a darker look, exchange red star for white skull, purple glass for limo tint, and take out the red, w/ the exception of my 'racing stripes.' the tubes and glass frames I will have to re-edit in blender at a later time.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
micheal_andreas_stahl
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by micheal_andreas_stahl »

Looks good. How about the insides.

Use Photobucket to host your pictures.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Hahaha. Excellent! I love this one.
That really has a uniquely 'pirate' flavor.
targ collective
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Looking good! Seeing another contributor, especially in a discipline we need talent for such as modelling, makes me very happy indeed. It'll take some of the load off Chuck's back if you decide to come on board semi-officially, too. Making models is one load harder and more interesting than tweaking unit.csv and master_part_list.xml. Can't wait to see this ingame - if you want to have that in my TurretPack, let me know.
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

Looks much better than the first one! Great! For the quota: just delete the old pics :lol:
Zool
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Zool »

Definitely much better, can't wait to see more, keep up the great work!!! :D
Time is an Illusion..............Lunchtime doubly so!! -Ford Prefect-
Check out Privateer themed goodies!
http://www.cafepress.com/soulfulngifted/2889859
Orthuberra
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Orthuberra »

Wing Commander Privateer: Pirates Legacy v0.01 (hehe)

Hello again and thanks for the support, well I have a download now! This is a start for my Pirates Legacy mod, but for those with there own mods and releases they can use anything here they want. Included are a few 3d renders of cargo/upgrade stuff as I'm awaiting the new GG base/upgrade graphics. Also if your work with the GG team and they don't have one of these renders yet and you like mine, feel free to use. I don't have the GG beta test so I don't know whats done and what isn't. Send message for the cargo/upgrade files (3ds max files).

List of stuff: 8)
-Secret cargo space, steltek armor, & fast jump drive upgrade graphic
-Same as above but 3d rendered pings (256x256)
-Salman Kroiz & William Riordian (based of ani files) & pirate chick heads
-Pirate base (remember to edit your .csv files) also included are my
original textures, just rename files if you like those better.
-Facemaker.png (to make your own fixers)
-Banned weapons/contraband (3d 256x256)

Stuff that needs work:
-My raider jump drive render is unfinished and looks way to fat!
-Facemaker is a work in progress

Enjoy! :)
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

Just downloaded it - very cool. Some comments:
- the secret compartment unfortunately is no equipment stuff - the devs solved it by placing "hidden brilliance" into your cargo space, which was no contraband at all.
- concerning the fast jump drive, I know that jump delays are being set per ship and not per jump drive, still it might be possible to create an upgrade like that.
- great work with the character backgrounds! I could use some working table fixers, though. Your "facemaker" is one awesome idea!
- banned weapons, are they supposed to be contraband?
- I still don't know what the raider jump drive is supposed to do, and if it is a jump drive to a special jump point, how do you want to make it work?
- concerning the steltek armor, zeo1234 and me talked about a steltek follow-up campaign some time ago. If you want to take a look at it, start here.