MOD playground :-)

Forum For Privateer Remake
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

MOD playground :-)

Post by Dilloh »

This topic is supposed to be the "playground" for PU or other mods: releasing betas, offering contribution jobs, etc. Whenever someone needs to have something tested, or is looking out for some contributions, I'd suggest to accumulate everything here. I'll take the first step:

I've finally scripted the first mini-campaign... Uh well, not that mini, rather 8+ missions, but I hope you'll have your fun anyway. The mission begins in Troy, I'd highly recommend to start a new game, since the missions are balanced to be beaten in a tarsus.begin. I've made additional efforts to ensure that. Here is what is new:
- This campaigns locks the TarsusMK2, Afterburners and the Jump Drive until mission 7 (the big iron run) is done. So the only way to leave the system is beat the campaign or buy a fireblade.
- Afterburners and Jump Drive prices x3

What I need you guys to do:
- Check it out for bugs
- Give comments concerning difficulty and balance (too easy/hard, too much payoff, etc.)
- Give any kind of comments (e.g. locking ABs is bullshit, or story-related, etc.)
- Help me with grammars! I'm german!!
- Contribute! I need graphics and backgrounds for table fixers, e.g. a Kilrathi, a Privateer, something like that. It is enough if their cloth have different colors, more hair, so that the player can see at once that the guy sitting at the table is no generated one.

Install instructions:
- If you need, make backups of campaings.py, faction_ships.py and master_part_list.csv as those files will change
- Unrar into your PR folder, overwrite all.
- Begin a new game.

If you like what you see, I will take care of making more campaigns and pack them into the next canonHUDs.

Happy beta!

P.S.: The fixers names in my campaigns will credit the PU staff, and I began with micheal_andreas_stahl for he has pointed me to the PU thread in first case. Thx Andy, I hope you like your character :-) If not I naturally can remove it...

- Attachment deleted / Beta done! -
Last edited by Dilloh on Thu May 03, 2007 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Melonhead
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Melonhead »

Okay, one playground, coming up! :wink:

The attached file is my updated master_parts_list.csv, with the cargo densities and volumes changed to be close to real world. It is a "starter" master_parts_list; in other words, there are no unlocked ships, so you should be able to swap it out with the one in Dilloh's mini-campaign, and then swap it back to see which one you like. (There, now I've also encouraged you to download Dilloh's work and run through it at least twice! :D )

I named it master_parts_list_densities so you won't accidentally overwrite your existing one.

You will definitely notice some handling differences in your ship, especially if you're loaded up with iron, uranium, etc. I think that's very realistic--after all, should you REALLY load up with 225 cubic meters of iron before you go out to take on 8 Demons? Probably not...it makes the idea of hauling cargo versus running a combat mission a little more of a choice.

So, the big questions are: do we like the new balance, and does it force changes to other missions? (e.g. too hard to do an iron run as currently set up?)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
micheal_andreas_stahl
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by micheal_andreas_stahl »

I have not got any mods to post though i must say congrats with your 'mini' mission. And i'm speechless about have a character named after me! Thanks.

Andy
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

@Melonhead
If your file can do what you promise, it will most likely be implemented (at least if there are no objections from users). Also, I would suggest to give your work to chuck_starchaser who always is looking for realistic additions.

@Andy
Hehe... glad you like it. The Fireblade campaign is nearly completed but this time I'm gonna hold it back, we have a lot of csvs running around here and I don't wanna mess things up right now. Consider it as an announcement, but I'm planning to lock all PU ships and a lot of equipment via campaigns, so we will have at least 5 new campaigns of that size.
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

Fireblade campaign completed! Image

Hell, it was an awful lot of work, but now I'm complete with the beta and are currently bundeling (just waiting for ZR right now :wink: ) a new patch.

Some preview facts for the campaign: You'll hook up with a scientist who has invented the cloak and is now being pursued by the confeds. Burrows helps him and therefor gains access to a cloakable fireblade.

Many cargo missions with lots of ambushes, but also wingmen versus bounty-ships. Prepare for two quick, but major battles in this campaign.
micheal_andreas_stahl
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

The Troy campaign is COOOL!!!! My character is SOOOOOOO like me!!!! Thanks Dilloh!!!!
Gavinfoxx
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Gavinfoxx »

Where is the final version of this? I would like to start a game to play the troy campaign!
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

It will be, along with 3 other new campaigns, part of canonHUDs2.0. It should be out this month if everything goes well.
z30
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by z30 »

Melonhead wrote:Okay, one playground, coming up! Wink

You will definitely notice some handling differences in your ship, especially if you're loaded up with iron, uranium, etc. I think that's very realistic--after all, should you REALLY load up with 225 cubic meters of iron before you go out to take on 8 Demons? Probably not...it makes the idea of hauling cargo versus running a combat mission a little more of a choice.
I've always liked this idea - it presents the player with the tactical decision of making a run for it or dumping the cargo in order to be agile enough to fight.

It also makes taking on multiple cargo missions non-trivial. Do you fully load the hold & risk being vulnerable at the worst possible time? Or do you place a safety margin by making sure youn still have some mobility?
Orthuberra
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Orthuberra »

Hi, I've been working on some graphics for the game, taking it upon myself to remake stuff in 3d render, I'll post more stuff as I finish up a few more things as a graphics pack.
Orthuberra
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Orthuberra »

Ummm, here is a graphics pack for mods anyways guys, any new graphics you use have the same use at your leisure as my previous graphics.

[Edit]: Check next post please
Orthuberra
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Orthuberra »

Graphics Pack v1.1p
[Edit] 1 Jun 07: New version of graphics pack on page 3 of thread...

Pirate's Legacy v0.25
My homebrewed expansion where your a pirate...
[Edit] 1 Jun 07: I probably wouldn't bother downloading, not much, but here is the latest anyway.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Orthuberra on Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

Hi again, are those graphic stuff for free use? I mean since you need someone to put it together into a reasonable campaign, would you mind if someone took over it and did so? Or do you have concrete thoughts about how the Pirate Legacy Campaign should be?
Orthuberra
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Orthuberra »

Hello, both my graphics pack and pirate pack are free to use with your mod or anyone elses mod for that matter. I have some more stuff that I still want to do for my pirate campaign. When I made a list of stuff I want to redo the artwork for in 3d (or at least someone do) it came out to over 150 pics! That's base scenes, cargo, upgrades, faces, etc. So basically it's a huge list of stuff I'd like to see done.

I have a few ideas about my pirate campaign, but if you want to do missions/story for it while I continue making art for it I see no problem. I still have more units and things I want to work up so it may be a while before I consider it complete.
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

When I made a list of stuff I want to redo the artwork for in 3d (or at least someone do) it came out to over 150 pics!
If you're really that motivated and gifted, talk to chuck... he has a thread about 3D (360°) base interiors somewhere in the WCU forum. I think rendering is welcome...
I have a few ideas about my pirate campaign, but if you want to do missions/story for it while I continue making art for it I see no problem.
Just tell me your thoughts, and I'll tell you how it might collide with things that already have been done, but overall - sure.
micheal_andreas_stahl
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Now what was it going to say?

Ooh, yes thats it. Dilloh, I'm currantlt repalaying your Troy missions and have noticed spelling and grammer mistakes and will fix them.
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

No need to do that, Zool already did a correction.
Orthuberra
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Orthuberra »

If you're really that motivated and gifted, talk to chuck... he has a thread about 3D (360°) base interiors somewhere in the WCU forum. I think rendering is welcome...
I actually have talked to chuck about that, so far very little has been done, only Oxford and its incomplete apparently. I started work on Eden/Gaea myself, and I have been updating the graphics for all the games icons as well. I've been sending Chuck cut-outs of the faces in the game and he has been running them through his high res program, then I touch up any details/errors afterwards. So far I have done updates for 26 of these graphics for the regular game and 10 for my add-on (or anything else). No completed base scenes though. :cry:

I'll have to get back to you later on the pirate story, you work too fast for me, and I need to organize my thoughts still. :)
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

I'll have to get back to you later on the pirate story, you work too fast for me, and I need to organize my thoughts still.
:shock: Are you kidding? Now who joined up two weeks ago and contributes in high quality like crazy?!?!? :wink:
Orthuberra
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Orthuberra »

No I'm not kidding :) , in between my last graphics pack and now I finished renders for most of the guns (all but plasma & fusion) and got back a pack of 8 faces that I sent to chuck and cleaned those up as well!
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

That's chuck, he is an exception. I sometimes vanish to go to work and don't come back for the next 20-40 hours. But let's forget about it... I'm just glad artwork catches more attention.
micheal_andreas_stahl
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

I found some mistakes like a merchie frighter instead of fraighter, nothing against Zool though.[/list]
Zool
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Zool »

@ Andy,
If you're referring to Dilloh's Troy camapign, I actually did a proof read and amended it and sent it to him some time ago. Maybe he's waiting to get PU2.0 together before he releases it. What say you Dilloh?

What "nothing against Zool though"....??? ......I didn't do nothin'....they're watching me you know..........you won't tell anyone??.........please sir, can I have some more?.........Zool,......Zool's not here man..........
Time is an Illusion..............Lunchtime doubly so!! -Ford Prefect-
Check out Privateer themed goodies!
http://www.cafepress.com/soulfulngifted/2889859
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

Zool wrote:I actually did a proof read and amended it and sent it to him some time ago. Maybe he's waiting to get PU2.0 together before he releases it. What say you Dilloh?
I say yes. Andy, you use the very first release of the Troy campaign. I haven't uploaded anything else since then, for I just wanted to sniff for the style... now I'm excited like a little kid in front of the christmas tree how you will react to the rest... hihihi... :oops:
Orthuberra
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Orthuberra »

When I get the high-res faces from Chuck back and clean them up, my miscellaneous graphics pack will be 40% complete! Here is a picture of some of my missiles and guns. If you have critiques, suggestions, please post them so I can fix the art. 8)

[Edit]: to make comparison easier from left to right:
Top row: dumbfire, friend or foe, heatseeker, image recognition
Middle row: proton torpedo, laser cannon, mass driver, meson blaster
Bottom row: particle cannon, tachyon cannon, ion cannon
Last edited by Orthuberra on Thu May 31, 2007 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.