Forum For Privateer Remake
Shissui
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Would You Accept This Mission ??

Post by Shissui »

From the routine mission board --

"Defend Merchant From Kilrathi:
A kilrathi assault wing named motukoreaite has jumped in and is moving for an attack on one of our assets in the New Detroit system Your task is to eradicate them before they eliminate our starship. Intelligence shows that they have 3 starships of type Kamekh. Your reward is 22815 credits."

Yes -- they really do plan to pay only 22k, and not the more reasonable 228k.
I want to live in Theory. Everything works in Theory.
M@ni@c
Explorer
Explorer

Post by M@ni@c »

Unprotected Kamekhs are easy to take out. So sure, why not. It would be fun. :wink:
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

Yeah - afterburn between them. While they try to shoot you, they'll hit each other. When one Kamekhs damages the armor of the other, they'll eventually knock down each other!

Also, the destroyed Kamekhs will leave a large debris fiels of space salvage which can be tractored in.
Night10194
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Night10194 »

Am I in a crappy fighter, or my fully uprated corvette (Galaxy GS) with all its glorious plasturrets? If the latter, this'll be FUN. Hell, I'd do it for free!
Been flying in Wing Commander for 10 years now, and I'm convinced it's why I hate cats!
micheal_andreas_stahl
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by micheal_andreas_stahl »

Oh yeah, i would take that mission. Iwould most likely do it in my demon as it was designed as a Cap Ship Killer.
Shissui
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Shissui »

micheal_andreas_stahl wrote:Oh yeah, i would take that mission. Iwould most likely do it in my demon as it was designed as a Cap Ship Killer.
As it happens, I *did* accept the mission and I did do it in a demon. I just think the bounty should have been bigger -- if the Confederation let 3 kameh past Perry & didn't notice, then clearly the powers-that-be in New Detroit need to send more cash MY way & less to the navy.

The demon is my ship of choice for most missions. However, I find that it is much better at clearing huge gaggles of fighter than it is at blasting capships. Yes, it turns fast enough that I can dodge the turret fire, but it has a shield efficiency of 0.67, so one hit in three goes through to the armour regardless of how well I fly.
-- solution = fly well, don't get hit.
micheal_andreas_stahl
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Could always do it in a Stilleto :twisted:
Night10194
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Night10194 »

My hat's off to you for managing that in a light-fighter. And hey, as long as they can get bored hot-dogs like us to do it for 22K, why not?
Been flying in Wing Commander for 10 years now, and I'm convinced it's why I hate cats!
micheal_andreas_stahl
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Yeah I have done that. It ws after RF and had a fully kitted Stilletto with fusion canons. I went every where and blew everything up in that ship. That's how i become a Retro.
Shissui
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Shissui »

micheal_andreas_stahl wrote:Could always do it in a Stilleto :twisted:
You know the answer to that one -- demons corner better. The stilleto may be faster, but it also has the same 0.67 shield efficiency as the demon. It's main advantage is a bigger power plant, so it can mount more firepower.
Night10194 wrote:My hat's off to you for managing that in a light-fighter. And hey, as long as they can get bored hot-dogs like us to do it for 22K, why not?
There is another thread looking at what is the most dangerous ship out there. The popular opinion seems to be that pound for pound, the demon is about the worst you can face because they never stay where you put them.

Trust me -- a fully upgraded demon, piloted by a real human being, is even less likely to stay in a gun sight.

The weak shields are not really a severe handicap. The trick to flying a demon is not to get hit in the first place. Go ahead -- try one.

Disclaimer -- I intend to reinvest my profits from shooting Kameh into shipyard stocks.
micheal_andreas_stahl
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

You know the answer to that one -- demons corner better. The stilleto may be faster, but it also has the same 0.67 shield efficiency as the demon. It's main advantage is a bigger power plant, so it can mount more firepower.
Hmmm, i have heard that some where, Think of it.

After burn in to rear of cap ship fire, AB away, AB back in fire Dumbfire, fire Guns, AB away, repeat intil destroyed (the Cap ship that is)

Do that enough and you can destroy any cap ship. Works best with the Kamekh as there is an area that the turrets can't reach.
Shissui
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Shissui »

Yes, I think the stilleto is a better ship than the demon to take out one or more kameh -- it carries a lot more dumbfire and has power for heavier cannons and the cornering is fully sufficient for dodging the kameh's turret fire.

With a centurion, the kameh can sometimes spin faster than you can get behind it. So it is a lot harder to STAY in the blind spot at the back.
micheal_andreas_stahl
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

I use it as an interceptor (which it is). AB in fire AB out. good for that. I have fusion canons on mine and they work really well on the ship.
cerewa
Explorer
Explorer

Post by cerewa »

In the original privateer, I was definitely a centurion fan-- if i couldnt have a centurion i'd keep the tarsus. In the remake, I'm not sure what I'd use against a kamekh- centurion doesn't seem to be the ticket. I fooled around in a talon for a good while and found it to be awesome for fighting hordes of demons and whatever. I don't think I'd like using a talon against kamekhs though- demon seems to be the ticket.