tractor beaming up with scotty

Forum For Privateer Remake
Neskiairti
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

tractor beaming up with scotty

Post by Neskiairti »

.. heres a question..

ive been playing around with the files, and expanded my cargo hold to carry whatever i felt like.. trying to tractorbeam up everything.. -chuckles- obviously, some things you cant.. but what determines weather my centurion with 500000 cargo hold, cant tractor up a galaxy.. or orion.. or dray.. or a station..?

i dont see anything that determines this, other than cargo space..
Zool
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Zool »

I noticed the same thing, only I limited my Centurion's hold to 75000. Anyway It seems that the "Mass" of the object you are trying to tractor is relevant somehow. Previously I asked why I could not tractor in a Gothri, regardless of cargo hold size. (I collect ships. 8) ). When I was able to get a Drayman, a much larger ship physically, I was ably to tractor in any fighter. I also tried this with a Kamekh (had to edit savegame to get one) and it worked. I'm not sure what other values if any in the units.csv file allow this to happen or not but it seems to be a case of you need a BIGGER ship as well as the cargo space to capture "stuff"
Time is an Illusion..............Lunchtime doubly so!! -Ford Prefect-
Check out Privateer themed goodies!
http://www.cafepress.com/soulfulngifted/2889859
Neskiairti
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Neskiairti »

there must be some thing saying "this ship is larger than that ship" mass maybe.. but mass also determines how fast it accelerates.. i dont want to modify that too much.. could temporarily modify a drayman's mass i suppose.. but.. meh

how did you suck up a drayman? i ended up turning militia foe to me, after trying for a few minutes.. >.> oops?
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

There are also entries in units.csv defining the combat role, e.g. fighter, support, base. Maybe those also form cathegories what you can suck up and what not.
Zool
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Zool »

I didn't actually suck up a Drayman, I bought one, legally if you can believe it. Also I didn't hyave to change anything in the Draymans stats at all. Just whack a tractor on it and basic equipment and you got industrial vacuum cleaner. The mass of the Gothri is bigger than Centurion. That's why I think it didnt work.
Neskiairti
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Neskiairti »

so explain why my drayman which was nearly stock, was acting so buggy? and where is the drayman cockpit? hehe..
Zool
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Zool »

Depends what you mean by "buggy", but they are big, slow and have the manoeuvring properties of a palette load of bricks. I eventually gave mine the performance of a Galaxy just to make it usable.

As for the cockpit(s) there are a few missing.
Neskiairti
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Neskiairti »

mmm.. well aside from it having no cockpit.. (which is fine by me... the cockpit just tends to get in the way of space view anyhow, and i figure any large ship could have an imersion seat anyhow..) but the guns odd placement as i said.. shooting past new constantinople. >.> the thing cant be THAT large.. then also when sitting in dock, it looks like 1/20th the size of any normal ship..
Zool
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Zool »

I know what you mean about the scale of the Daryman. When playing the other day I saw one wedged in the lower docking bay of Perry. I actually had a mission to deliver cargo to it. :lol: and my Kamekh looks very small when on the landing pad.but you gotta land somehow. maybe someone could make a docking arm or port or as was suggested in another thread just park outside and shuttle over.

Gotta have a cockpit (even though they block your view of space). they give an integral feel to the game especially for those of us who enjoyed the original WC games. I used the orion cockpit for my Broadsword and Kamekh.
Neskiairti
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Neskiairti »

with good enough technology, you have a energy glass hud.. -chuckles- hand touches in open air, set things off.. and so forth.. everything you want to see, is transpearant.. but with enough to it, that you can tell what it is, and what it says.. or like i was saying, full imersion seat.. so you feel like your sitting in space, when really, your viewing many screens surrounding you in nearly a sphere.. connected to cameras on the hull of the ship.. safer for the pilot.. though a bitch when a camera is hit..
OnyxPaladin
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by OnyxPaladin »

Neskiairti wrote:with good enough technology, you have a energy glass hud.. -chuckles- hand touches in open air, set things off.. and so forth.. everything you want to see, is transpearant.. but with enough to it, that you can tell what it is, and what it says..
More or less OLEDs

certainly cool, but probably not possible with the VS engine. Immersion will probably come about at some point, but since we are playing a game and using a monitor we can't have the full advantage of peripheral vision. Besides that, i'm with Zool that cockpits help immerse you in the game world
Last edited by OnyxPaladin on Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Neskiairti
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Neskiairti »

well i can think of a few hundred ways to do it.. but, the point is.. thta is one of the most efficient ways to fly through space.. you dont have blindspots then.. you can look behind you, and see behind you.. you can look above, and see above..

anywho.. im just an old star geek.
OnyxPaladin
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by OnyxPaladin »

I am not disputing the advantages of an immersion seat. I am saying that i do not see a feasible way to fully use it in a game because of the limits of conventional monitors.

Also, i can't say i understand anything wrong with enjoying astronomy. There is beauty in nature, that is a fact. Look at the various nebulae captured by hubble. if you can look at those and say you don't find something at least interesting to look at you need to get your eyes checked.
Neskiairti
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Neskiairti »

oops, misunderstood ^.^

yeah, space.. this universe, on earth, in the sky, between the stars.. its so beautiful..