Ship conversion and/or development.

Forum For Privateer Remake
ozyran
Explorer
Explorer

Ship conversion and/or development.

Post by ozyran »

Hello everyone.

As someone new to the VegaStrike realm, I would like to say that this open source project is a great one. It's awesome reliving the memories and creating new ones! I especially love the open platform that the game has been set on; it looks like a good way for us to be creative :D

Now, all that said, I have an interesting conundrum. Once, long ago, I thought up some interesting ideas for Privateer, many of which I could never concoct because I was extremely limited. One of which stands out in my mind may be one that's considered WC/PR blasphemy: what if I could fly a Klingon Bird of Prey in Privateer?

Now, I understand that there's a VegaTrek project underway, and I also understand that there's been a massive amount of work performed to get that game not only up and running, but distributed as well. However, I've been pondering this one for a long time, and I've decided that maybe it's time to develop the model, even if I'm the only one that uses it. So, all that said, I have a few questions that I could not answer through some extensive searching:

1. How would I go about creating a 3d model that I could use in Privateer Remake? What program has been used to develop the Ferret/Hornet/Raptor for PR?

2. How would I go about texturing said model? Any recommendations?

I apologize if this causes anyone frustration and/or aggravation. Thanks for your time!

~ozyran
z30
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Re: Ship conversion and/or development.

Post by z30 »

ozyran wrote:Hello everyone.

As someone new to the VegaStrike realm, I would like to say that this open source project is a great one. It's awesome reliving the memories and creating new ones! I especially love the open platform that the game has been set on; it looks like a good way for us to be creative :D

Now, all that said, I have an interesting conundrum. Once, long ago, I thought up some interesting ideas for Privateer, many of which I could never concoct because I was extremely limited. One of which stands out in my mind may be one that's considered WC/PR blasphemy: what if I could fly a Klingon Bird of Prey in Privateer?

Now, I understand that there's a VegaTrek project underway, and I also understand that there's been a massive amount of work performed to get that game not only up and running, but distributed as well. However, I've been pondering this one for a long time, and I've decided that maybe it's time to develop the model, even if I'm the only one that uses it. So, all that said, I have a few questions that I could not answer through some extensive searching:

1. How would I go about creating a 3d model that I could use in Privateer Remake? What program has been used to develop the Ferret/Hornet/Raptor for PR?

2. How would I go about texturing said model? Any recommendations?

I apologize if this causes anyone frustration and/or aggravation. Thanks for your time!

~ozyran
Hello, welcome aboard !

Unfortunately the ones who can answer your question are probably in the WCU universe forum. That's the game which is also based on Wing commander , the 3D artists and modellers are all there.

PR & WCU use the same graphic file formats for the ships. There is a Star Trek mod of Vegastrike btw, you might want to check out that forum also.
ozyran
Explorer
Explorer

Post by ozyran »

Thank you, thank you. Great to be welcomed. I can't express my disdain about the series, but that's a rant for another time.
Looks like I need to go sniffing around there and see what I come up with. Who knows, there may be some other, non WC ships that I can model, if I can get the hang of it. But first, I must start at square one.
z30
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by z30 »

ozyran wrote:Thank you, thank you. Great to be welcomed. I can't express my disdain about the series, but that's a rant for another time.
Looks like I need to go sniffing around there and see what I come up with. Who knows, there may be some other, non WC ships that I can model, if I can get the hang of it. But first, I must start at square one.
The Star Trek Vegastrike mod is moving again, they're calling for volunteers to finish the prototype fyi.

If you've got modelling skills, we're running into problems with the WCU Kilrathi ships we're trying to import over here. The Jalthi & Jalkehi ships (check out the WCU ships thread in this forum) either have too many polygons (&texture) or not enough.

You may want to try your hand at this if you're willing :)
ozyran
Explorer
Explorer

Post by ozyran »

Okay, looks like that might be worthwhile too. Especially since it's actually within the PR universe.

So....has anyone thought about resurrecting the TCS Tiger's Claw?

*EDIT* I just got done cruising the VegaStrike forums. HOLY CRAP, MAN!! I saw the level of work going into the TCS Tiger's Claw for the original Wing Commander. I about choked! It looks like this modelling this is a bit bite to chew on; I barely know how to paint anything in MS Paint, let alone model anything in Wings 3D. Thanks for your help, z30; I'm going to sit and think about this before I try to build any models. 'Twas a dream....merely a dream...
1 John 3:16 - a creed to live by.
micheal_andreas_stahl
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by micheal_andreas_stahl »

Wot is it with WCU. They should all be HERE. NOT THERE[/i]
"The bullets come out of the slim end, mate!"

Sniper after dominating another Sniper
Team Fortress 2